Timing of Required Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sulliv32

Reaction score
I graduated in May of 2011 and began working that qualifies as design in June 2011 and Passed FE in April 2011. Would I be able to take the PE in April 2015 or would I have to wait until October 2015? I am in New Jersey if it matters.

Also, do any states require less than 4 years experience?

I think IL requires two years of minimum work experience. I took PE from SC and they require mandatory 4 years and over work experience. Anything less than 4 years of engg is not acceptable. You can look at your board website, it should be describe the number of years of experience for PE exam. Good luck!

For NJ:

You need 4 years experience and you can pass the FE or PE in any order. So, you can take PE first if you wanted but you wouldn't get your actual license until you complete all three. Also, NJ has that law test (take home/ open book/ multiple choice).

So its:

4 years experience (need this to sit for PE)

Pass FE Exam

Pass PE Exam

Pass Engineering Law Exam

The main difference here is that its not graduate from school/ pass FE then work experience starts from the one you completed last. Also, I think you can take the Law test as a follow up to the FE. I didn't know about it so they sent it to me with a letter stating I passed the PE.

you might want to check the actual dates. I had 4 years up to the exam date but alittle short if you count to the app deadline. They count experience to the app deadline. I guess it depends on the person reviewing it but you can send it in and if it gets rejected; they will keep it for the next cycle.

Make sure you send in everything early cause they take their sweet time reviewing it. (unless there were alot more applicants then usual). I was calling the office everyday on the last week of the deadline for paying for the actual exam. They had my information 2 months before that (confirmed by them) and they ended up sending me a letter saying that i was "approved" to sit for the exam but my experience, transcripts, etc were not reviewed.

Note that you generally need the 4 years of experience to be completed prior to applying to take the exam. Exam applications are often due 90-150 days before the exam, and you'll want to get your application in a few weeks early.

Back