Those that failed - How close did you get?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCcarguy

Reaction score
It appears from the analysis report that for the second time....I was over 50 correct....this time it appears that I was probably closer to 55.....so how close did the rest of you get.......oh.......and when I left the exam BOTH times I felt VERY good about almost the exact same number of questions that I ended up with.....this means that I must be the WORST guesser ever!!!!

:drunk: :brick:

Well, the analysis did not give me a total score so it is hard to tell how may out of 80 I got correct. If I average the percentages, then I come up with 53%. I have quite a bit of work to do...

BTW... I didn't leave the test with a great feeling. I knew I had some areas that I needed to work more on. The areas I didn't feel great about are the ones I scored the lowest in.

The thing that's puzzling to me is how acurate I am with how well I feel I did...The first Time I felt like I got about 43 or 44 correct...and 16 of those in the morning......based on the percentages, I got 22 correct in the morning and it looked like 29 in the afternoon....which is EXACTLY what I thought.......This time I felt like I got 28 in the morning, and 27 in the afternoon.....guess what....I ended up somewhere close to that.......other than the 6 guesses I got in the morning in Oct, It doesn't appear that I have gotten a single guess right since.......is this BAD LUCK....or is there someting built into this exam that points me in the wrong direction when guessing.....basically, I just can't seem to feel good about the "Pick C" option....I always seem to know enough to know that "C" isn't the answer.....hummm...maybe I answered my own ???? Maybe it is C :ruh:

havent got my breakdown yet, but i felt good about most of the afternoon, minus the geotech(i did transpo PM)

I failed miserably.

I'm not just saying this, but I really think I messed something up with my scantron. I only got 35/80 on this test, and I counted 31 in the am that I knew, plus like 17 in the pm that I felt about 90% on. I'm baffled as to how I got 35, but maybe I messed up units or something. I dunno.

:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you know the actual # of questions on the test to compute your raw score?

I dont think the # of questions was consistent. unless you were able to write em down after the exam?

There were 40 morning and 40 afternoon questions.

If your percentage in transportation was 50%, then you either got 1/2 or 2/4 or 3/6 or 4/8 etc. etc.

If your percentage in geotechnical was 33%, 1/3 or 2/6 etc. etc.

You can manipulate the numbers until they equal 40 questions. It isn't too hard. The percentages like 57% are the ones that make it easy, it has to be 4 out of 7, and 63% is 5 out of 8, etc.

I bombed the geo in the morning which left me with only 19 right, the afternoon got 25 right apparently made a few careless mistakes in transpo/construction. Anybody know where I can get a Prentice Hall for soils?

I also bombed the geo (AM & PM) I think the only ones I got right were the "letter" ones wink wink... Let me know if you find some other good geo study problems and I will do the same..

The only other bad score I had in the PM Transp was the planning/construction section... I guess I need to re-learn that stuff as welll

I think the math you guys are trying to do sounds harder than the actual PE.

Last edited:
There were 40 morning and 40 afternoon questions.
If your percentage in transportation was 50%, then you either got 1/2 or 2/4 or 3/6 or 4/8 etc. etc.

If your percentage in geotechnical was 33%, 1/3 or 2/6 etc. etc.

You can manipulate the numbers until they equal 40 questions. It isn't too hard. The percentages like 57% are the ones that make it easy, it has to be 4 out of 7, and 63% is 5 out of 8, etc.
I think you can also look at the specification for the exam on NCEES website and figure out pretty close how many questions are in each subarea. They give % of geo questions on the exam. You multiply that by 80 and that's approximately how many there are. Then if you got 50% right you know about how many questions you got right.........

hook us up with a link for that. I cant find that exact information on the NCEES site.

I put in red my figures. They add up to 80, so must be it. this is from the fall diagnostic, I don't have the new one, or would have scanned it too.

scan1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont konw about last octobers exam (sadly I will know about this Oct exam) but I really dont recall an even 8 questions breakdown, I really dont think there was 8 transportation questions on the AM?

I will send yah my breakdown, will scan it at the house..

The Morning portion is always easy....there's 8 in each of the 5 categories......the afternoon it's a bit trickier...you don't know exactly how many there are in the breakdown since they break the sub-categories down further than the categories....example....you know in the afternoon that 65% is Transportation if that's the depth exam you are taking...but the analysis has it broken down into 3 categories...Traffic Analysis, Geometric Design/Traffic Safety, and Transportation Planning/Construction.......

So you have to be a bit creative......but any way you do it...you'll be within a question or two of being correct.....

Latest posts

Back