Things that are better than they used to be

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as much as I cant stand family practice type doctors. medicine is pretty insane good...

my dad had a Cow valve put in his heart about 8 years ago, as he was too young at the time for a pig valve..

Gots to be a weird thing knowing you have an animal part inside you keeping you alive...

my parents church used to acquire chic fil a signs once a month and put in his front yard (the kind with the cows on it)
skins grafts are much better than they used to be. My uncle was caught in a fire while in the military 30+ years ago now. He has pig skin grafts on probably 20-30 % of his body.

F&%kin' beer and I'm planning on having 1 or 10 of them tonight.

O2 sat measuring. That little glowy dot thing they put on your finger to figure out if you've got enough oxygen in your blood? It used to be an incredibly painful butterfly needle test.

I found out how annoying the glowy dot thing can be when are you are hospitalized for days at a time. They're clunky and get in the way when you try to do anything with your hands.

You shouldn't have been trying to spank the monkey at the hospital anyway.
What do you think the nurses are for?

I'm telling Mrs. Dex.
I already tease her about it.

Ok, another thing thats gotten better is EB.com!

Who can complain that this site hasn't gotten better over the years!

Memory storage devices.

My Dad worked with computers with gigantic tape drives in the seventies, so the 5.25 floppy was HUGE when it came out. I'm amazed at how much jump drive and SD card memory you can get dirt cheap these days.

^ no joke! I remember shelling out $45 for a 16MB jump drive. Now vendors hand out 1GB for free.

Synthetic winter clothing. Anyone else have giant down mittens? They were warm, until they were soaked. Same thing with the crappy kids' boots. I spent most of my childhood with bread bags on my feet and hands underneath the cold weather gear.

Cars!

From safety to reliability, power, performance, comfort and accessories. Aside from the nostalgia of a classic car there is pretty much no comparison for the vehicles today and their counterparts of past generations.

I take it all back, the pinnacle of automotive design was achieved in the 90's and it never even went into production!!!

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pxJAH9iUQ

Synthetic winter clothing. Anyone else have giant down mittens? They were warm, until they were soaked. Same thing with the crappy kids' boots. I spent most of my childhood with bread bags on my feet and hands underneath the cold weather gear.

That's more the fault of the shell than the down.

I'm a fan of down. I'm still am stoked about the two down throw blankets I got I got for $4 each. Perfect size to pull up while watching TV. The thrift store here in town is awesome.

^^^ Sounds like several things that need to be done at my house. When would you be able to come over?

kitchen appliances... well just house hold appliances in general... I can get home at 5:30 pm and have a roast and potatoes ready to eat, a load of laundry washed and put in the dryer, run the vacuum and steam mop all in under an hour...

They are definitely faster, more efficient, and easier to use. BUT, they have WAY more moving parts that can fail and therefore do not last nearly as long as the old ones. Plus, the new ones tend to catch fire a lot more than the old ones.

Why you always gotta be talking about house fires?

He also often talks about floods caused by the weak point of connection on Floodsafe hoses. That cancels out the house fires talk, no? (Because a flood would put out a fire, in a house...nevermind)

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking with colleagues, it seems that fe/pe study material is much better these days.

kitchen appliances... well just house hold appliances in general... I can get home at 5:30 pm and have a roast and potatoes ready to eat, a load of laundry washed and put in the dryer, run the vacuum and steam mop all in under an hour...

They are definitely faster, more efficient, and easier to use. BUT, they have WAY more moving parts that can fail and therefore do not last nearly as long as the old ones. Plus, the new ones tend to catch fire a lot more than the old ones.

Cords are a LOT shorter as well. When I was a kid, 8' cords were the norm. Everything seems to be 4' or less these days.

Back