The second coming!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is this "winter" of which you speak? 81 and slightly muggy today here. Come on Ice Age!!!!!!!

rw, what part of lanier? i have an acre of land above clarks bridge road, but I met with the COE and they said even if they allow more permits, the length of our ramp to the dock would be so long I wouldnt be able to have enough square footage left to build the boat slip, apparantly they only give you so much SF for the permit.

We dont have any plans for building a house any time soon, but something were just holding onto .

rw, what part of lanier? i have an acre of land above clarks bridge road, but I met with the COE and they said even if they allow more permits, the length of our ramp to the dock would be so long I wouldnt be able to have enough square footage left to build the boat slip, apparantly they only give you so much SF for the permit.
We dont have any plans for building a house any time soon, but something were just holding onto .
They are on the Cheststee side of North Lanier, between Hwy 53 (Dawsonville Hwy) and Hwy 136. Pretty much the opposite side of the lake from Clarks Bridge Rd.

well have to swing by there this summer. we normally put in towards the north side because theres less boat traffic, but its not that far of a ride from aqualand where we keeping them this summer.

We looked at several 3 br 2 ba ranches on the north end that had a nice dock that were right on the lake but none of them were less than $500,000.

Sadly even if I liquidated my 401K, assets, and made close to 100K on selling my house we couldnt afford it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They bought land up there almost a decade ago and built a house on it a few years later (once they retired) before a lot of the development really started to get going up there. I know a lot of high end developments have gone in since then. The 'street of dreams' neighborhood from last summer isn't that far from them. Now those are some nice houses.

Let me know when you buy one. I'll be happy to come visit. :)

img0711ig9.jpg

img0714rotateyn5.jpg

img0728oo0.jpg

where were those pics from?

my acre of land is a 100ft wide "L" shaped strip of land that is 300' from the road and then makes a 90degree turn toward the lake for another 700 feet.

When I acquired it (when my grandfather died) it had an existing easement about 200 ' from the lake (I had planned on putting the house on that portion) away from the road and close to the lake.

3 years ago the county came in and installed a sewer pipe on the easement. The pipe runs ABOVE GROUND through the easement :) cutting off my land where I want to put the future house (where I would like to retire)

The county said I would have to take them to court to get them to allow me to pay them to install 90 degree elbows and bury the pipe underground. I should probably do it one day, because long term the value could change substantially but right now I am just sort of taking an "L"..

Why is the pool and hearth in clear view of the street? I'd think I'd want more privacy in a high end house like that. Like this

That was one of the street of dreams homes from last summer.

I think the cheap ones went for a little over a million. They had home theaters, wine cellers, outdoor fireplaces, infinite pools, fountains, etc. so it's probably well worth the investment. :)

That really sucks that they put in an above ground sewer line between you and the lake. I can imagine that drastically drops the resale value.

Why is the pool and hearth in clear view of the street? I'd think I'd want more privacy in a high end house like that. Like this
Because the developer is trying to cram as many homes into the space available to make as much $$$ as possible.

The funny thing is that in that development was still under construction and the houses that were finished were perched ontop of the hill overlooking the lake (great views). In these houses the pools were built to look like they were spilling over into the lake, problem was that they weren't finished building the homes closer to the lake (further down the hill). So as those homes fill in the great view of the lake becomes a great veiw of your neighbors roof.

It seems that high end houses in GA they dont invision you spending a lot of time outside, they build them big enough, right up to the set back line that you have more floors to vaccum than grass to mow (or pay to have mowed)

Yes that sewer line is most likely going to cause me to build a house with a "view of the lake" during winter, and build the house near the road, than a house "on the lake" but I am going to at least look into how much it would cost to get the pipe relocated under ground (but its about a 24 " pipe)

But to be sem fair , the area towards the lake, is abot a 2:1 slope at best, I would have to do lots of clearing and grubbing, have a hell of a steep driveway. but somethign I would put up with to be able to walk out my backyard and go for a swim.

right now the area is pure white trash though, hopefully in 15 years it will be less white trash, I need to wait for some suburban sprawl to head my way :)

Back