The second coming!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats crazy. Of course if your doing 60 mph it only takes you 3 minutes to cover 3 miles so its not like they were riding all day or anything.

I've seen guys do that on 4 wheelers. It is, how do you say, WICKED AWESOME.

hopefully these tards had on wet suits under that (the last one sinks)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would call that wicked stupid. I think that was probably the scariest 3 minutes of their lives -- knowing if they let go of that throttle they're done for.

Darwin awards anyone?
You mean like this ....
3.gif

JR

Wouldn't they have seen the "wide swath of open water" and stopped in advance?

Snowmobilers ain't the brightest bulbs in the box I've noticed. Plus they piss me off when I'm on a hike and some asshole blows by at 50 mph making all sorts of noise.

Wouldn't they have seen the "wide swath of open water" and stopped in advance?
I think it was a night. Better question is: can you see the other end of the open water or do you blindly hold on at wide open throttle and pray?

I am suprised they let them operate at night, maybe its harder to enforce, but I think 99% of lakes dont allow Jet Ski's to operate at night. & I think thats a good rule to be honest, no need to be doing 65 mph when you cant see a damn thing & most jet ski's dont have room for a depth finder.

I doubt anyone would allow/condone night operation. Trail riding, even on snow with headlights, sounds foolish to me.

Jet skis/PWC at night??? no way. 1/2 of the idiots on these things are dangerous during the day time. A classic was some a-hole cut across my wake while I was pulling my kid on a tube...yes he went over the rope between the boat and the tube then took off somewhere. Never did catch the bastard.

yeah as PWC owner, I can say I get emberassed by my fellow boater all the time. granted I take mine out with my kids, so were not the people you see doing 65 mph through boat traffic. ALthough I do like to sneak out early when we go camping when the lake is dead and make sure I "burn up all of last years gas"

I really think the majority of the people you see acting serious dumbass are renting them, I went to a marina last month to see about renting a slip for the summer, and they had a dozen jet ski only slips which were all rentals. heck probably good business, they rent em for about $350 a day (8 hours).

I dont let anyone drive them unless they also own something similar, to many people hit 55 mph and then dont know that those things dont have brakes.

Has anyone else ever been slung through 6'-8' cattails on a tube being dragged behind a ski boat? It hurts like a bitch, but you get the added benefit of temporarily looking like a tiger or maybe a zebra when it's all over.

I dont let anyone drive them unless they also own something similar, to many people hit 55 mph and then dont know that those things dont have brakes.
RG, just wait a few years, you won't worry about them so much then. We have some older Sea-Doos ('96), once you have had them a few years the thrill of jumping the wake of ski boats is gone, so you start coming up w/ other more creative ways to have fun. One of the more exciting games we devised was playing catch.

I know it sounds boring, but it's a lot harder then it sounds if you play the way me and my brothers play, i.e. - throw the ball long and try and make the other person catch it while they are doing 30-40 mph. Or throw the ball at one another while you pass each other doing 50mph.

It's a lot harder then it sounds, it's pretty hard to judge a ball in flight while on a jet ski and like you said, there are no brakes.

Warning: you will run into things/each other while playing stupid games like this. It's a good way to kill a couple of hours (and yourself) in a quiet cove away from the general population.

:bio:

You would have to do that in March on Lanier, cause come April all the coves are too full :bio: that does sound pretty entertaining though

we do ride them, but since we have the rugrats we do more pulling the kids on the knee board type things with them than jumping boat wakes. In Lanier you have enough chop to not really need the boats wake most days.

We normally just leave early so we can claim an island with a good beach for the day, build a fire and cook some dogs for lunch. do some riding away from the main part of the lake, dream about owning one of the $700,000 shacks with a dock on the lake, then putter back to the suburbs..

My in laws live on a small lake in NC, I was up early right at sun up with no one else around and was going to see if the GTX would really do >65, I swerved to avoid a log in the water and got thrown off while I was going at least 60 mph, it knocked the wind out of me, ripped the side out of the neoprene ski vest, and I slowely swam back to the ski.

You would have to do that in March on Lanier, cause come April all the coves are too full
You would be surprised how easy it is to clear out a cove for your own personal use when you have a couple of idiots screaming around on (old/beat up) jet skis. Even on Lanier. Actually ours aren't in bad shape, but they are getting to the age where it takes about a month or so of work to get them both running right at the beginning of the summer. We have an old XP and an old GTX. I think they are a lot more fun when they get a little older and you aren't as paranoid about damaging them. Shit happens, we have had both of ours taking on water before. We've crashed them into things/each other, gotten objects tangled in the impeller, etc. And even though our are old and top out in the low to mid-50's there is more fun to be had doing things besides cruising at top speed around the lake.

I swerved to avoid a log in the water and got thrown off while I was going at least 60 mph
It's actually pretty funny to put people on the jet skis who aren't used to riding them and let them loose. It's amazing how dumb people can be. Like trying to take a 90 degree turn at top speed. It's funny b/c it's not me skimming across the water at 50mph thinking to myself 'oh shit what have I done!'

do you still have them? I am keeping mine at aqualand this spring / summer. I am trying to get 'AC' to sneak out of work one day for a "free ride". :bio:

last summer it was hard for me to sneak the skis out without the old lady wanting to go, she would come home, ski's not in the garage,, oops.. This way she wont be none the wiser.....

I am still pretty paranoid about messing them up(that $11K is still freshly absent from my money market account). My father in laws sea doo is the same year as mine, and his looks 5X older because it gets abused at his lake house so much, mainly by his idiot sons who crashed them into the dock while trying to drive them up on the jetdock.

I would like to keep them a long time, we have one GTX and a GTI, the GTI wont do more than 40 mph and I really should sell if for a new 4 stroke one next year.

Yea, we still have them. They are at my parent's house. They have one of those little shacks w/ a dock on Lake Lanier that you mentioned.

Except I don't think their shack is worth anywhere near what you quoted. They are way up north on the lake, where it's much much quieter. We have taken the jet skis down to the southern portion of the lake a few times and it's just way to choppy to have much fun w/ them there.

I really dread trying to get ours running this season. They weren't used much last summer. That's the major drawback to having older jet skis, you may be less paranoid about using them, but getting them to run (right) is a big question mark each year. Ours are nice non-environmentally friendly 2-stroke engines. :bio:

Back