The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unnamed.jpg

This ^ I wear for walking/jogging not running and for casual use. Looks good with slacks or shorts. 

I'm trying to get back into running after a long hiatus of not much physical activities. I was in decent shape 3 plus years ago where my BMI and overall health was significantly better.  Anyhow, I've gained more than 15 lbs since then and and I'm not in a great physical shape. I feel motivated now to lose weight and started running three weeks ago and also signed up for a local 5k. I started training through a couch to 5k app and after a few days I'm experiencing recurring episodes of what appears to be shin splints. I've been icing and doing some foam roller exercises (thanks YouTube) but every time I start running after a few days break, the pain on the lower leg comes back. I feel disheartened that I probably wont be ready for the 5k and running on a regular basis might not be an option for me. 

I'm wondering if any of the experienced runners here faced similar challenges and what they did to overcome it. I'm very interested to get some tips and suggestions.      
Late to this post, but a co-worker has shin splints. He found that he had to increase his running time VERY gradually. He had been an accomplished cross country runner, but when he started over he could only go for five minutes and then stop so that he didn't experience shin splints. He added a minute a week. Frustrating to go that slowly into it? Yes. Avoided shin splint pain? Yes. 

If minimalistic shoes don't suit you, by all means switch! Or, I cycle through three shoes at any given time:

Big: Saucony Ride - this was the shoe I took out of Jackrabbit Running when I started paying attention to my shoes

Medium: New Balance Fresh Foam Zante - Saucony Kinvara has the reputation as the "perfect middle" shoe but I never liked them. This shoe delivered what I was looking for.

Lightweight: I used to wear Saucony Fastwitch for this purpose but I haven't liked successive updates. Now I have a pair of adidas Boost adios. I've heard the Boost Boston is a "slightly more cushioned" version of this shoe and I'll try it when my Zantes wear out.

I probably wear the Sauconys 50% of the time, the NBs 30% and the adidas 20%.

I used to run in Saucony Kinvaras before switching to Brooks. I liked them for what they were, but found I was looking for a slightly lower drop. Now I run in the Brooks PureCadence, which I love!

I enjoy lifting, but the wife loved to run until her knee blewout.  I bought her a SOLE F63 treadmill for her birthday this week.  Fast walking doesn' hurt but any kind of impact or stress on the knee is a nogo.  

I currently use Nike Flyknit Free Runs and I don't feel like they have enough support. After just a mile or two and my feet hurt.  

I'm thinking about switching back to Nike shoes with Trainer 4.0, 5.0, or 6.0 souls.
@bripgilb, you may want to try Brooks Running shoes purecadence as Leggo suggested and/or Adidas Ultra Boost Running Shoes. My sister used Brooks purecadence during her basic military training. 

First race of the year in the books: broke my half marathon PR by ~20 seconds. Completely unexpected - that PR is several years old and I trained really well for that race!

I ran in the big snowstorm yesterday... in shorts! The run was nice but my knees were howling when I got inside. Lesson learned.

Back