The PE calculator question!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techie_Junkie_PE_LEED_AP

PE, LEED AP, Ponderer of the abstract
Reaction score
For the new members who weren't here when the October examinees were preparing...

What's in your calculator case!?

I've used HP calcs for 20+ years faithfully and loved them. The last one I bought was in about 1990, the mighty HP 48SX. $400 in it's day, it could be programmed as a remote control for your TV and you could zip messages across tables, probably why it's banned now.

Anyway, I haven't kept track of them since the 48SX did it all and I was used to it.... until last year. I was forced to update because of the NCEES approved calc list. So, I scoured the net for an HP33s. After getting stiffed twice, I out one on back order and waited. 'Cause I HAD to have an HP. Surprize!! IT STUNK OUT LOUD!!!! I'll never buy another HP calc. I struggled with it for two weeks before I packed it up and bought TWO Casios plus spare batteries cheaper. And I LIKED IT!!

Seriously, if you're going to use ANY calc for the first time on this exam, buy a few and try them during studying and problem solving. Evaluate them with the attitude that if it ain't a warm fuzzzy feeling, you'll send it packing.

Look back in this section to previous posts and you'll see me complaining about the HP33s adn some others replies.

Here's one: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=3440

Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had always used TI's in the past. For the exam I had the casio and one one of the TI's as a back up. Despite leaning towards the TI initially I ended up liking the casio better. Which ever calculator you do decide on, use it while studying and working problems. There is no sense in studying with your old familiar calculator and going into the test with an unfamiliar one.

I am also an avid HP calculator user. I tried to use one of the TI models with algebraic entry during the exam (twice) and really got myself flustered by all of the miskeyed entries and need to go back and re-enter series of calculations.

I finally broke down and purchased an HP-33S for my final exam - best $35 investment for piece of mind IMHO.

JR

Have you tried the HP 35S? It's got a lot of the "old" feel of the classic but I'm unhappy the sides aren't straight (can't use it as a straight-edge!). It's a little expensive (about $60) but maybe better than the 33S.

Amazing. I had the same upgrade path as you: 15C to 28S to 48sx. I also have one of the little thermal printers.

While I had the 28S (~1988?) I found an original 35 in a thrift store for $8 that worked. I sold it on ebay in 1998 for $198.

My experience was the same with the 33S. I used it because it was the only RPN calculator on the list and I'm algebraically challenged. I still hate it but I bought two of them so I keep one at the office and one in my briefcase. I still use the 48sx for most of my work. The infinite (almost) stack was one of the features I missed the most while using the 33S.

For the new members who weren't here when the October examinees were preparing...
What's in your calculator case!?

I've used HP calcs for 20+ years faithfully and loved them. The last one I bought was in about 1990, the mighty HP 48SX. $400 in it's day, it could be programmed as a remote control for your TV and you could zip messages across tables, probably why it's banned now.

Anyway, I haven't kept track of them since the 48SX did it all and I was used to it.... until last year. I was forced to update because of the NCEES approved calc list. So, I scoured the net for an HP33s. After getting stiffed twice, I out one on back order and waited. 'Cause I HAD to have an HP. Surprize!! IT STUNK OUT LOUD!!!! I'll never buy another HP calc. I struggled with it for two weeks before I packed it up and bought TWO Casios plus spare batteries cheaper. And I LIKED IT!!

Seriously, if you're going to use ANY calc for the first time on this exam, buy a few and try them during studying and problem solving. Evaluate them with the attitude that if it ain't a warm fuzzzy feeling, you'll send it packing.

Look back in this section to previous posts and you'll see me complaining about the HP33s adn some others replies.

Here's one: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=3440

Good luck!!

I had my trusty, all-powerful, 1985 TI-36-Solar confiscated at the exam because it wasn't an approved "x" model (TI-36x).

Fortunately, I followed the "Bring two calculators" rule and was able to use my HP33S backup. I just was not as efficient with complex numbers on that though and I swear it cost me points.

RPN: you either love it, or hate it (or mildly dislike it, but try to get used to it)

I was a TI user in high school (36 sounds about right...can't remember), but switched to the HP48g in college. I loved it then and still use it as my primary now. I decided to buy an HP35s (recently added to the approved list) for the exam. It seems o.k., but it'll take some gettin' used to the limited stack. The 48g beats it hands down.

Johnny

Never used RPN in my life, didn't see an HP calculator till College where I was using a TI-86, then an 89 as my 86 was stolen.

I recently picked up the TI-36X, used it for all of a week until I found it couldn't do complex numbers. So I got the Casio fx-115 something or nother. Still not used to it, even after I took it to work to use. Hopefully ponding out problems with it here soon will get me used to the bloody thing.

No RPN for me. I used the Casio MX115MS for the exam, and am quite happy with it. I will probably replace my main calculator (TI85) with it when the TI dies. The only quirky thing I came across with the Casio is it tried to tell me that 1 - 2 = 1. It took me several minutes to figure out that was 1 @ 180 degrees, since it does not display the modulus and argument on the screen at the same time. Not a huge deal, but if you're doing simple arithmetic on it and not thinking about complex numbers, it could throw you off. To be safe I changed to rectangular mode instead of polar mode to avoid this problem.

I got the Casio FX-115ES and have been working with it now for a while and overall like it... much better to beable to do complex numbers. I also have a little TI as back up.

Do I wish I could use my TI-89 or TI-92, why yes yes I do as they does lots of the things that are difficult to do with most two line calculators very easily

The Casio's ability to handle complex numbers is the greatest thing ever (including sliced bread). I originally bought the TI-whatever, then found out that the Casio handled complex numbers while the TI didn't...that's all the convincing it took.

Plus, I hate RPN, so even if the HP does complex numbers, I wouldn't use it.

MRDPE, I saw nothing on your website that would even begin to change my mind. The HP 33s is a peice of junk. My long loyalty to HP couldn't even persuade me to use that over priced paper weight.

I don't know about other disciplines, but I wouldn't want my worst enemy to try using it for Electrical, especially Power Depth!

The Casio has superior complex number handling and is easier to find and half as expensive. For the price of a 33s, you can buy two Casios and two sets of spare batteries. Now, if I could bring my HP 48SX, THAT would be a different story!

MRDPE, I saw nothing on your website that would even begin to change my mind. The HP 33s is a peice of junk. My long loyalty to HP couldn't even persuade me to use that over priced paper weight.
You should be considering the 35s, not the 33s - it's a bit nicer than the 33 from an ergonomics perspective and has some extra horsepower.

Yeah, I don't know why everyone is still talking about the 33. The 35s does everything the 33 does, but in a more traditional HP style. And NCEES added it to the approved calculator list.

I guess it's more expensive, though.

Back