The OCD thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
We all have OCD tendencies. What are some of yours?

Here's one for me:

When making a PB&J sammich, peanut butter is put on one slice of bread and jelly on the other. I won't eat it otherwise.

Serial eating (eating one item, then the next, rather than going back and forth)

I hate having my food touch other food. (Exception: bread and egg yolk.)

When I walk by a half-wall 48" or less (but not railing), I tap the top of the wall with three fingers every step I take.

Temporary Compulsive behavior - gaming, web surfing, etc have been known to take over my life at times.

Organization: if I organize something for myself, I organize it the way I want to... and others can rarely figure out how I do it. (It's a struggle to put calcs in order, since my default is by material rather than purpose; wood beams belong with wood shear walls, not steel beams.)

When I get in my car, I follow the same pattern (sit, key in, buckle, ignition, release parking brake, change gears) every time. When I don't, the difference is distracting. Likewise, when I finish I use the same pattern. I've been known to set the parking brake just so I can unset it, when leaving my mechanic's. If I need to take something other than my purse, I go around and get it via the passenger door.

Walls on drawings MUST be drawn to stud width. I've been known to redraw Arch plans to show 5.5" walls rather than 6".

Layers etc must be done correctly (color/linetype by layer).

Notably, I do not have an issue with cleanliness unless I am on cortisone, which kicks my OCD into overdrive. At that point I clean ALL the things!

Crooked paintings/mirrors/shit on walls.

Three pocket check for wallet, keys, phone.

TP after HSD.
MGL283.jpg

I tend to take an even number of steps between anything even if I have to stutter step just to make it even. Or if I'm on a sidewalk I have to make sure each section gets either an even amount of steps or that two consecutive sections will add up to an even number.

Back