The Average Passing Score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Does anyone know the average passing score for Electrical and Electronics PE exam?

What I did for Civil was to look up the threads on diagnostic scores and we tend to get a target score. For example, this past fall it was 55 for Civil Transportation. While in the Spring of last year it was around 53 according to the posted scores. Look in the electrical threads and try to gage a range. I'm pretty sure that a 55 will pass Civil Transportation and maybe even lower depending on what kind of test was offered.

ngnrd - PE said:
Unless you're planning to use the exam as just one more diagnostic session, I disagree about the recommendation to not aim for 100%. Studying to squeak by is setting yourself up for failure. It's not like they don't tell you what's going to be on the exam, and you have to blindly study everything that could possibly be related to engineering. They provide a pretty good list of study topics in your discipline, so you should know where to focus your efforts. If you find yourself lost in those topics, maybe you need to reevaluate whether or not you're actually ready to take the exam.

Back when they still reported passing scores, a friend of mine was pretty nervous about taking the FE, even after studying everything that was supposed to be on the exam, every day, for months. When he got his 70% passing score back, he jokingly said it looks like he studied "just enough" to pass. Of course, if he had only studied 70%, 80%, or even 90% of the material, there is no doubt he would have failed.

My two cents.
I was not aware that they tell us what will be on the exam. Unless if we are referring to the 7 or 8 books that are given as standard references, i.e. ASCE 7, IBC, ACI318, AISC manual etc. And yes, I have seen some questions coming out of some very obscure scenarios that are rather hard to imagine and you definitely need to have those references with you because if rely solely upon Lindeburg you are definitely going to miss those very special problems.

A friend of mine passed Civil some years ago and because he did so well he was selected to produce exercises to be used in future exams. His score was 85%. Now if that is a score so good that you are asked as a volunteer to contribute, it is obvious that a score of 100% is very unlikely. I never claim that someone should not pursue this goal with 100% of his strength, but to anticipate a perfect score of 100% seems unrealistic to me. I also believe that tests where someone can score 100% are failed tests as they do not indicate the maximum potential of that candidate. Also it does not help in order to have a proper curve of the performance.

It seems that my previous comment was grossly misinterpreted. I estimated that I scored above or about 60%. I was very erroneously given the impression that above 60% would possibly/likely be a passing grade, so I did not start studying for the next exams immediately. I was sure I was not going to score in the 70s and that is actually what happened, my score was within that range. That is how the average passing score would be useful, ..simply by estimating how well you did and getting a good idea if you need to get back to the PE books again as soon as possible. After all, that is why we get a report if we fail, indicating our weaknesses to address them. If you walk out of the exams and you feel really good and confident you will not go back to hit the books and focus on things you do not even practice or never plan to practice.

Closing, I wish the best of luck to everyone.

ngnrd - PE said:
Unless you're planning to use the exam as just one more diagnostic session, I disagree about the recommendation to not aim for 100%. Studying to squeak by is setting yourself up for failure. It's not like they don't tell you what's going to be on the exam, and you have to blindly study everything that could possibly be related to engineering. They provide a pretty good list of study topics in your discipline, so you should know where to focus your efforts. If you find yourself lost in those topics, maybe you need to reevaluate whether or not you're actually ready to take the exam.

Back when they still reported passing scores, a friend of mine was pretty nervous about taking the FE, even after studying everything that was supposed to be on the exam, every day, for months. When he got his 70% passing score back, he jokingly said it looks like he studied "just enough" to pass. Of course, if he had only studied 70%, 80%, or even 90% of the material, there is no doubt he would have failed.

My two cents.
I was not aware that they tell us what will be on the exam.
They do - on the NCEES exam specifications for your depth. After taking the exam it is accurate.

Jason

ngnrd - PE said:

My two cents.
I was not aware that they tell us what will be on the exam.
They do - on the NCEES exam specifications for your depth. After taking the exam it is accurate.

Jason
Start here:http://www.ncees.org/Exams.php

PE Exam: http://www.ncees.org/Exams/PE_exam.php

I remember the outline being spot-on for my exam (Civil-Construction April 2008).

Hi,

Does anyone know the average passing score for Electrical and Electronics PE exam?
I present the traditional EB response to such questions.

wordpress-awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg

If you do not like some type of questions, please do not answer them. Nobody forces you to make such remarks or to use this type of vocabulary.
And to that, I would answer in the following manner:

user_admin_mod.gif

It's just an ongoing forum joke. Lighten up a bit. Do some searching on here for similar topics and you will see what I'm talking about.

Hi,

I present the traditional EB response to such questions.

wordpress-awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg
If you do not like some type of questions, please do not answer them. Nobody forces you to make such remarks or to use this type of vocabulary.
sensors-indicate-noob.jpg

Generally it is ill-advised to tell an Admin what he should or should not post. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
"nobody forces you to make such remarks or to use this type of vocabulary"??!!??

If "this type of vocabulary" offends your sensibilities then you will never survive in the engineering and construction industry. You may want to try another line of work......say maybe a florist, a hair stylist or possibly a zoo keeper.

Good luck to ya

"Your exam results are determined by the number of items you answered correctly for the exam in its entirety."

^ Points system and percentile make sense-, but how can you achieve a the pass mark if you dont balance out everything, these things the examinees should be aware of if not failure will occur.

"nobody forces you to make such remarks or to use this type of vocabulary"??!!??

If "this type of vocabulary" offends your sensibilities then you will never survive in the engineering and construction industry. You may want to try another line of work......say maybe a florist, a hair stylist or possibly a zoo keeper.

Good luck to ya
Thanks for the wishes! Ideal suggestions for someone who did military and then worked in the Construction Industry for a couple of decades. I was referring to a web site rather thinking about being out in the field and dealing with workers. But sure I can use langage like that much harsher, in a three langages too, and I can do it better than you! Still appreciate your comments about being a hair stylist or a florist!!! I guess I will listen to you and try. I may be good at that too! How do you know that by the way? Were you a florist or a hair stylist yourself?

Back