The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tranny.

Hers was auto with no torque converter and she said it was just not right. We bought it new and the had to replace the automatic clutch?? Drive belt? The car shuttered sometimes. The dealer said to drive it like you stole it and that would fix it.

Some lady ran a red light and totaled the car. Our uninsured motorists had to pay because her boyfriend had Geico insurance and they don't pay if you are not named on policy.
Well there's your problem.  Ford slushbox.

GM Astra.  I had it confused with this Astre from a few years back (ok, maybe it was ~40 years back)

astre.jpg

My wife hated her Focus.
2ba5e31234fb0bb0d3976063257506c4.jpg

But it did sacrifice itself for her.
Steeda Mustang police cruiser?!

The body style looks good, but not too flashy for my tastes.  The interior is absolutely amazing.
Another question, what does the recommended maintenance schedule look like on a Tesla vehicle?  And when service is required, does it need to be performed at a Tesla dealer or some type of Tesla-authorized service center?  I would tend to think that could also get pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question, what does the recommended maintenance schedule look like on a Tesla vehicle?  And when service is required, does it need to be performed at a Tesla dealer or some type of Tesla-authorized service center?  I would tend to think that could also get pricey.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships, they have stores.  Subtle difference but it's been a big deal here in Michigan.

is there much to service if its all eclectic? no oil changes or anything?  do they even have a radiator?

The 4-year, 50k mile warranty includes the first 4 yearly maintenance visits.  They have to be done at the Tesla service center, which is also in Cincy, but they do give you a loaner Tesla while it is being done.  There are currently no Teslas outside of their warranty period (the first model was released in late 2012), so there really isn't much data out there on how much they will cost to repair.  BTW, the warranty on the battery pack and motors is 8 years, unlimited miles.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships, they have stores.  Subtle difference but it's been a big deal here in Michigan.
Also a big deal in Kentucky.  They technically weren't allowed to bring a car down for me to test drive.  Snick, the difference is that Tesla sells directly from the factory to the consumer.  The dealership model that most car companies use, have a mandated middleman in the form of the car dealership owner, that gets the car at a discount from the factory and marks it up to make a profit.  Several states, Kentucky and Michigan included, have laws that protect this model so that dealerships can continue to make money.  Those laws preclude companies like Tesla from opening stores in their state to bypass the dealership model.  It's horseshit, but so are most laws.

is there much to service if its all eclectic? no oil changes or anything?  do they even have a radiator?
Wheel rotation and wiper fluid are really the only preventative maintenance required (the only port under the hood is the windshield washer reservoir).  I'm not sure about the radiator, and I'm not sure about the heating/cooling system.  There are cabin heating/cooling systems and a completely separate, liquid-cooling system for the battery pack to prevent overheating or charging/discharging when the batteries are below their recommended temperature.

And the existing auto companies are against allowing Tesla to sell direct to consumers because they're already stuck with the existing dealership network, which puts them at a somewhat unfair disadvantage.

some of the biggest babies out there.  dealership protections like that in KY, getting the government to make it illegal for car dealers to be open on sunday since it would be unfair to those that want to be closed for some to be open.  

yeah we have that stupid sunday law in CO, like scum sucking car salesmen need a day off to go to church?

Back