The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I placed an order for a Tesla Model S60D today.  I was going to hold off until the Model 3 came out next year.  My company threw a building grand-opening party last Saturday, and our CEO arranged for Tesla to send some cars for test drives before the party.  I test drove one, and spent well over half of the party talking to the sales reps.  By the time I left, I was pretty sure I was going to buy one.

The cars they had to test drive were Model P90D's (which start at $110K) with Ludicrous Mode ($10K upgrade) that do zero to sixty in 2.7 seconds.  Obviously I wasn't going to buy one of those, so I arranged for a test drive of a more reasonably spec'd car today (the nearest Tesla Store is in Cincinnati, so this is no small feat).  After the test drive, I put down my deposit and placed my order.  In 6 to 8 weeks, it will be mine.

Currently taking suggestions for a name...

7651.jpg

So, I placed an order for a Tesla Model S60D today.  I was going to hold off until the Model 3 came out next year.  My company threw a building grand-opening party last Saturday, and our CEO arranged for Tesla to send some cars for test drives before the party.  I test drove one, and spent well over half of the party talking to the sales reps.  By the time I left, I was pretty sure I was going to buy one.

The cars they had to test drive were Model P90D's (which start at $110K) with Ludicrous Mode ($10K upgrade) that do zero to sixty in 2.7 seconds.  Obviously I wasn't going to buy one of those, so I arranged for a test drive of a more reasonably spec'd car today (the nearest Tesla Store is in Cincinnati, so this is no small feat).  After the test drive, I put down my deposit and placed my order.  In 6 to 8 weeks, it will be mine.

So roughly what is the starting price of the Tesla Model S60D?  I've seen a few on the hwy in my area.  They look really sharp!  I assume you have to find a charging station somewhere then?

Last edited by a moderator:
So roughly what is the starting price of the Tesla Model S60D?  I've seen a few on the hwy in my area.  They look really sharp!  I assume you have to find a charging station somewhere then?
Base is $66k, mine was about $11k more, but there are tax credits to offset some of that.  

I am in the process of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage to charge it. 

Base is $66k, mine was about $11k more, but there are tax credits to offset some of that.  

I am in the process of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage to charge it. 
Damn. That's similar in price to a rather new Corvette.  And I think even more than @mudpuppy's house! :lmao:

As for the charging, you didn't want to install one of the super charger variety? :dunno:

Untitled.png

I would really like to test-drive one just to see if there's any noticeable difference in functionality vs. a conventional combustion engine type vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The interior is nicer in the Tesla than the Corvette. 

You can't buy a Supercharger for home...nor would you want to. 360 VDC at 400 amps is a bit much. You can buy a wall charger and wire it with a 100 amp, 240v breaker, but you have to upgrade the car to take advantage of it.  The 50 amp 240v charger gives me a full charge in 6 hours which is good enough, and there is a Supercharger location in Louisville if I need it. 

The biggest difference is the acceleration. You have 100% of the torque through the entire acceleration curve. It's just like one of those linear accelerator roller coasters. 

Interesting.  So similar to that of a 0% speed and 100% torque induction motor application (i.e. over-head hoist).

That's correct. . . approximately 150% of the value of my house.  That will change once we can get Mrs. mudpuppy's house sold though.

I never saw one In Atlanta until I moved here and there almost like the damn subaru's ... Everywhere....

bf36c4049b9574de36c46c3e71f9364a.jpg

They are not my cup of tea but vehicle choice is very personalized! Hope you like it!!!

The body style looks good, but not too flashy for my tastes.  The interior is absolutely amazing.

BTW, I am no longer taking suggestions for names...one of my college friends won the internet today.  My Tesla will be known as "Edison."

F*ck this f*cking f*ck of a car.  This f*cking Astra is giving me the failed bearing of death noise from the engine bay, along with a service engine/battery light.  Who wants to bet the $500 I paid for a f*cking alternator replacement has crapped out after a few months of driving?

I think the time to look for a car has finally arrived.  I can't trust this POS anymore.  Thinking of going to look at the Focus ST this weekend.  Quick enough, manual trans, great handling, 4 doors, and room for the dogs.

I can't justify a $50K Focus RS, because at the end of the day, it's still a Focus.

But 250+ HP for about $22K with all the dealer incentives right now?  Hmm.  And there aren't too many cars out there that can pull nearly a full lateral G on the 235 street tire.  They're pretty popular amongst my fellow SCCA crowd.  I just can't find an alternative family hauler that I find acceptable, so I'm leaning towards the cheap and easy option.  

7651.jpg
Jelly

I took my DD Buick in for inspection recently and they noted some wobble in the front end.  I use a local repair shop (that I've used for several decades and my parents used them before that).  Local inspection station said they'd fail me but becasue I use the local mechanic he's pass me but I needed to have it checked out ASAP.  The shop said it was a tie rod end....$187.  Ok.  Not two weeks later the car sounds like crap (exhaust leak?)  I leave it with the shop...new exhaust $550.

When my son stopped using the '09 Chevy Cobalt, he drops it in the driveway with the CEL on, needs an inspection sticker, shifts like carp (manual and shifter not going to 3rd easily), windshield washers not working....    He doesn't want/need it anymore so I want to sell it.  Leave it at the shop to fix all this little BS.....$530.  The Cobalt's keyless remotes don't work.  I bought replacements online but everything says you neeed to take it to the dealer to program them.  My shop says they can program them for me.  When I pick up the Buick on Friday, I leave the Cobalt to program the remotes.  Everything is hunky dory.

Go to move the Cobalt on Sunday and it's dead as a door nail.  It was fine when I got the remotes programmed.  WTF?!?  It was behaving like it had a dead battery.  We tried to jump it but it was really dead,  I disconnect and charge the battery overnight.  Starts up just fine this morning. 

The only thing that I can think of is that when you lock the doors using the remote, It activates the security system.  I think the security system drained the battery completely.  May be a weak battery to start with.  I believe it's original.   Now I don't know how many "systems" need to be "reset" because the battery was disconnected.  What a PITA.  I hate cars.

I like the Focus ST on paper.  I haven't test driven it, but I've heard good things.

My parents drove their new (to them) 2003 Corolla up to MA for the weekend.  Yesterday, I thought I'd spend some time with my dad cleaning it up.  We fixed the cloudy headlights, removed some of the minor paint defects, painted the faded grille back to black, and washed and waxed the car.   While I was waxing it, I placed the tube cap on the top lip of the trunk where it meets the rear window.  My dad didn't realize the cap was there and went to grab something out of the trunk.  All of a sudden I hear a big BANG and I rush over to where he's standing.  As he was closing it, the stupid plastic cap got caught on the edge of the rear window and did just enough damage to shatter the entire window.  F.... I called up Safelite, but all the glass shops are closed on Sundays.  We ran to the store to get some tape and went to town taping it all up since they had to drive back to NYC.  I felt terrible for the rest of the day.  

Back