The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I thought you said the hybrid is what was making it cost so much, could you take it to a regular shop and say ditch the hybrid and just put back a gasoline engine? (would that save you some hassle/$$ of a mech dealing with the Hybrid)? Or are they just to intertwined to remove?

Also could you buy one of those extended warranties and then wait a month or two and then submit a claim?

Swap out the pedals. It would be like some of those early mo-peds that would start by bicycle pedals but then run on it's own once it was "jump started".

I did look in a Fiat and realized my kid won't fit in the backseat.
Don't forget to account for the kid getting bigger over time. That was one of the factors dictating which cab style was picked for the new truck. Little Flyer ain't so little anymore and the extended cab wasn't going to cut it much longer.

But I thought you said the hybrid is what was making it cost so much, could you take it to a regular shop and say ditch the hybrid and just put back a gasoline engine? (would that save you some hassle/$$ of a mech dealing with the Hybrid)? Or are they just to intertwined to remove?

Also could you buy one of those extended warranties and then wait a month or two and then submit a claim?

The gas engine parts cost is $4463. The cost to install it is $1936, which I'm guessing is partially because of the hybrid sitting on top of it all. I'm guessing, though, that the cost to totally remove the hybrid stuff would be even more expensive. Don't forget there's a big ass battery along with that dinky engine. But I like your line of thinking on the warranty.

I had a dream that it got wrecked in the storage yard and I rejoiced.

My kid is a 53" tall third grader. At this rate, he's going to need to get used to not fitting in the backseat.

That $4000 price just for the engine parts really disturbs me...you check around any car forums?

I know a jeep has less parts and such but I got me one of them Quadratec Jeep magazines here at the office and it lists an In-Line 6 cylinder 4.0 Engine at $1062.00 (Delivered).

In line 6 is basically the best small engine ever built...

(waiting for the car afficiado's to reply to In line 6 comment in 3..2..1....)

Since I've owned several (and currently own two inline 6 engines); they are definitely easier to work on and a better motor than many of the V8's out there. Compared side to side for a 1972 345 V8 and a 1974 258 straight 6, I'll take the six as it starts and warms up faster than the 345 when it counts. The 345 is the backup should I really need it though.

The current diesel is also a straight 6; I'd hate to see a V8 doing its job properly.

I asked my BIL over the weekend who is part owner of small car repair shop and he said $4k wasn't too far off the reservation. But he did say their shop wouldn't charge as much for labor. Which doesn't help at all seeing he's in WI.

Last edited by a moderator:

The gas engine parts cost is $4463. The cost to install it is $1936, which I'm guessing is partially because of the hybrid sitting on top of it all. I'm guessing, though, that the cost to totally remove the hybrid stuff would be even more expensive. Don't forget there's a big ass battery along with that dinky engine. But I like your line of thinking on the warranty.

I had a dream that it got wrecked in the storage yard and I rejoiced.

My kid is a 53" tall third grader. At this rate, he's going to need to get used to not fitting in the backseat.

My concerns on those extended warranties:

1) They're not cheap themselves

2) They usually cap the max payout

3) If there were any ECU codes thrown when it crapped out, they will still be able to pick up on those. Some are time sensitive and will log how many miles have been driven since it was thrown.

That $4000 price just for the engine parts really disturbs me...you check around any car forums?

I know a jeep has less parts and such but I got me one of them Quadratec Jeep magazines here at the office and it lists an In-Line 6 cylinder 4.0 Engine at $1062.00 (Delivered).

Had an Old F150 with the 4.9L straight 6. Sold it with 275,000 miles on it and it was still running strong. I still see it from time to time even though it was mine two trucks ago. Note that strong is a relative term though: 145 HP when new... but a torq-ee motor that would pull anything at 45 mph. Poor mpg: 11-12 no matter what I did to it.

Oh, the hell that I put that poor thing through. Overheated at least three times (due to red lining through the mud) had it on 2 wheels and also completely air born. Good times...

LJ, sounds like my ol' 92 F150. Sold it to a air force guy that drove it back to the lower 48. Hauled many of things that should have never been hooked to a 1/2 ton.

Drove it till the clutch had less than 2mm of surface left and only took it in when the slave went out and I was speed shifting to get it going. Shop couldn't believe how little material was left. Never slipped once!

LJ what year? I had an 84 or 85. Thing was a tank

LJ, sounds like my ol' 92 F150. Sold it to a air force guy that drove it back to the lower 48. Hauled many of things that should have never been hooked to a 1/2 ton.

Drove it till the clutch had less than 2mm of surface left and only took it in when the slave went out and I was speed shifting to get it going. Shop couldn't believe how little material was left. Never slipped once!

93 F150 reg cab long box. 4 speed manual 4 wheel drive. I actually tried to blow it up once and it wouldn't. I let it bounce off the rev limiter for about 3 minutes before I dropped the clutch and "chirped" the tires at a tar intersection out in the country (this was on a dare)

I replaced the clutch once while I had it. The clutch went out (actually it was the hydraulic master cylinder) when I was in college (I commuted about 30 miles) and I had to jump the safety switch so that I could start it in gear and power shifted all the way home (I had no money for a tow) I replaced the clutch at the time of replacing the master cylinder because it was well worn.

when in 4 wheel drive, low, I could pop the clutch in third gear and it wouldn't kill (speaking to the torque 4th gear would require a little gas in order to set off). This meant that I could pull anything as long as I had traction. 1st gear was super granny low and so I never really used it unless I had to (pulling over sized trailers, wreaking havok and what not...)

I should have never sold the truck but I needed the money for upgrading after starting the family. I did all of my own mechanical work and had replaced most of the parts that could wear out. The guy that bought it got a hell of a deal.

The car dealer from about an hour south is bringing up a 2011 VW Jetta SportWagon for me to drive until Friday. We'll see how I like it. It's got a diesel engine and gets a supposed 47 mpg on the highway.

Any thoughts?

The car dealer from about an hour south is bringing up a 2011 VW Jetta SportWagon for me to drive until Friday. We'll see how I like it. It's got a diesel engine and gets a supposed 47 mpg on the highway.

Any thoughts?
My friend has one of those (manual trans), same year too IIRC. I just hope nothing breaks on it because I've heard parts/maintenance can be a bear with the diesel engine. The more auto savvy here might be able to comment more on that.

German car maintenance can be expensive. It cost more to do an oil change in my 2006 Jetta (regular gas) than it does in my Camaro. Back then it was something like $150 for the Jetta. But then again I take my cars to the dealership for regular maintenance instead of the cheaper Jiffy Lube alternatives...

you will be at the mercy of dealerships again, at least that is what I have noticed with those who have the german cars around here...your local mom and pop repair shop wont touch them.

sounds like a cool car to test drive though. I've debated the whole diesel fuel vehicle vs gas, but the cost breakout still made the gas cheaper.

I'm still partial to the idea of remaining a single vehicle household. I'm convinced that every vehicle has issues, no vehicle will be the right choice, and it's a giant hunk of depreciating investment in my driveway. Then when I need a vehicle, I'll rent one.

I change my own oil in my garage 25 bucks plus no aggressive add ons by either Jiffy Lube or the Stealer shop...

My grandfather was a mechanical engineer from back in the day and he always said diesel engines were a pain in the ass

I'm still partial to the idea of remaining a single vehicle household. I'm convinced that every vehicle has issues, no vehicle will be the right choice, and it's a giant hunk of depreciating investment in my driveway. Then when I need a vehicle, I'll rent one.
how will you get to work in the winter with feet of snow?

Back