The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's still in great shape and I enjoy driving it, too.

The dilemma becomes which one do I let my daughter use. This purchase started with me looking for a used Corolla for her (bleh) so she could start working and hopefully move out on her own. I had some cash that we got when we sold her car in Alaska a couple months ago. But then I saw the new Mazda 3s on sale for less than the used 2018 Corollas, and the 6 on sale for the same price as a new Corolla, and went for it. I'll probably switch it up between the two until she moves out, and decide then. Maybe give her the 4-Runner since it is older, and it would give me an excuse to get a Tacoma (or some other 4x4).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 4Runner still pretty new though isn’t it?  

we feel without having to drag the whole family around the Tacoma was a good choice - actually I drove it today and it’s 10X more comfortable than my JKU.

my daughter saved up 7k (selling the lords waffle fries) and bought her own car and I just had to co-sign for it.;)

Not super exciting, but I picked up a 2020 Mazda 6 this week,
I had a 2004 Mazda 6.  Loved that car.  Some idiot t-boned me and totaled it about 3 months before I had it paid off.  Never realized how much I missed that hatchback until I got rid of my Altima for the Tesla.

I just did a quick little run to McDonald's with my son and flipped the "sport" switch. Pretty damn fun! My son's kind of mad at me now, though. 

Yeah @Road Guy the 4Runner is 4 years old now, still nice. The 6 is growing on me fast, though. Not sure how it would fare in a place that experiences winter.

one day Ive got to get my tools organized better - I spent a good part of the day wrestling with some old rusty shocks that the bolts didnt want to break loose on - even with an imact gun - but I dont know how many times I look for some socket, end up going to buy it and then find the one I thought I had later in the day.. tis sso f'n annoying..

Had to take the brake assembly off to be able to get some elbow grease on the bolt head, but damn a 1/2 socket set was able to get a bolt loose that my impact gun couldnt get to move..

And after all this did I organize the socket drawer in the tool box.. nope... maybe next time..

About once I year I go into Fallujah aka my garage, take every random tool/socket/bit I find laying around, and spread it out on a blanket in the driveway.  I have junior match everything up.  I usually end up putting away full sets of tools I didn't even remember that I had.

thats what I need to do. I am at the point where the "project" takes 2X as long as it should due to my own organizational failure.

I'm at the point where no amount of organizing is going to get my 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

I'm considering a trip to Harbor Freight and increasing my storage capacity.  I'm not a huge fan of their tools for long-term use but the U.S. General tool boxes they have are pretty nice for the money. 

64165_W3.jpg

The sad thing is I have a decent tool box set up like that - what started out as an organized drawer based on US / Metric / 3/8 & 1/2's is now  just "the socket drawer" lol 

& my older Jeeps, (TJ, YJ) they were nice and had a hole in the engine compartment where  you could access the top of the front shock with a socket wrench to remove/replace the shocks, I guess that made too much sense for Chrysler since they did away with that and make you remove it the hard way...

Last edited by a moderator:
The US General boxes are very nice.  If you want to save a couple bucks, take a look at the Husky boxes sold by HD.  

I have junior match everything up. 
The problem I have is my 3.5 year old son comes out in the garage to help, takes the tools I am working with and hides them. Then he tries to make up for taking my wrench by handing me his plastic 3/4 box end which has never been useful. 

Every time he does it I text a picture to my dad and say I am sorry I did this to you. 

Anyone ever break check a tesla?

I thought they had a system that didnt allow it, but comgin back to the office I am crusing down the interstate, I can see the guy behind me right on my ass and eating something, so I give it the old break check, holy shit I guess the auto breaking went into full effect, and well I sure hope he didnt spill his lunch all over ;)  

But if you so close that the spare tire on my jeep is almost hiding your car in my rear view mirror you need to back the F up!

Anyone ever break check a tesla?

I thought they had a system that didnt allow it, but comgin back to the office I am crusing down the interstate, I can see the guy behind me right on my ass and eating something, so I give it the old break check, holy shit I guess the auto breaking went into full effect, and well I sure hope he didnt spill his lunch all over ;)  

But if you so close that the spare tire on my jeep is almost hiding your car in my rear view mirror you need to back the F up!
I can guarantee he wasn't using Autopilot at the time.  I have my autopilot follow distance set to the absolute minimum, and it's a solid 3 car lengths at interstate speeds.  You can't tailgate or make tight lane changes while on Autopilot.

We have a lot of teslas in this areas and they are getting the BMW asshole Factor here 

But if I keep this commute and this job one will totally be in my future in 

Just picked up the car from the engine shop.  Getting an alignment done before I load it up and haul it home.

I forgot just how much fun this thing is.

20200925_104425.jpg

20200925_104415.jpg

20200925_104612.jpg

20200925_104436.jpg

That looks very nice!

Didnt you recently rebuild a tractor too?

I must be doing somehting wrong, I aint got time for shit!
It’s not a coincidence that I have almost no clue what any of you guys are talking about when the subject is sports or just about any popular TV show. 😀

I'm at the point where no amount of organizing is going to get my 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

I'm considering a trip to Harbor Freight and increasing my storage capacity.  I'm not a huge fan of their tools for long-term use but the U.S. General tool boxes they have are pretty nice for the money. 

Check the pawn shops and Facebook marketplace first...You can find awesome barely used boxes there, and usually they're full of tools.

We have a lot of teslas in this areas and they are getting the BMW asshole Factor here 

But if I keep this commute and this job one will totally be in my future in 
Been looking at the Mustang SUV, myself...Not sure I want to give up the Benz, though, so I'm waiting until it actually comes out.

Back