The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 Cylinder?  -I thought you were a car guy?

We dont look at anything less than a V6 here due to the mountain roads- they are not very forgiving on the 4 bangers!

4 Cylinder?  -I thought you were a car guy?

We dont look at anything less than a V6 here due to the mountain roads- they are not very forgiving on the 4 bangers!
Mrs. Supe wants good mileage.  But the others just have more bang for the buck in general and much nicer interior trims.  Heck, the Durango was rated higher than the Toyota!  I really want the Telluride EX, but if you can find one, dealers are marking them up several thousand dollars, which is absurd.  The Palisade is a little bit nicer, but you're paying a few thousand to make it match some of the stuff that comes on the Telluride at $38k.  Going to see if my father can find any better deals up in CT, though all of those seem to be AWD when we could make due with FWD.

Yeah Toyotas in general are pretty shitty in terms of the interior - even the wifes newish Tacoma doesnt have heated / leather seats and some other stuff that I would consider fairly standard (in 2019)

Yeah Toyotas in general are pretty shitty in terms of the interior - even the wifes newish Tacoma doesnt have heated / leather seats and some other stuff that I would consider fairly standard (in 2019)
Sounds like the new Exploder.  Reviews said that the 2021 Ford wasn't even on par with the Pilot's interior... from 2015.

Ive never owned a Honda, but we test drove the pilot with full intentions of buying one a few years ago, but just didnt really like it after we drove them -it did have lots of gadgets but I thought it drove very boxy, almost like my Jeep.

But eventually those gadgets all end up breaking down the road and can be a PIA to replace.

I've had two pilots ('12 and '19) and a crv.  4wheel drive for all. Put over 170K miles on everyone of them.  I love my pilot.  I had to get used to all the new technology with the '19, but it isn't horrible.  I've never had any issues with the gadgets.  The third row is definitely tight for grownups, but my son loves sitting back there when we need to put the seats up.  If the third row is down, the back isn't that small. however if you need the third row there is NO space in the trunk.  My only complaint is the factory tires.  They are really soft, I've had nails in the sidewall 3 times.  Ended up replacing all 4 at 43K miles.   

working fromhome I am only getting about 20 mpg, but when commuting, the highway/minor in town driving was getting 23-24mpg.  strictly highway driving I can get that 27 mpg.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 2015 Pilot that we bought used at the end of 2016.  It's basically a boring and bullet proof Honda.  It's coming up on 100k miles and so far I've replaced brake rotors and pads, rear shocks (one was leaking oil), and spark plugs.  The only one that caused me to swear was the one spark plug with the coolant line running directly above the coil pack.

I was a little annoyed at that the phone interface in the 2015 Honda was far more clunky than the on in my 2013 Ford truck.  As far as driving it, it's a shoe box on wheels and handles like a bull elephant but that's comes with the design.

^- I think thats what made the wife not like it when she drove it, she said it just didnt feel very smooth and said she thought she was driving a slightly nicer version of my jeep (which is defin a square box)

& when we saw the 3rd row seat with our age kids at the time it was defin a no go  but if you dont need to use it its probably not an issue, but even the middle seat was pretty small.

I think the driving on the new Pilots are a little nicer, since it's now built off the updated Odyssey minivan platform.  Unfortunately, it also makes it look like, well, a minivan.  It's basically the minivan with slightly more rake to the A pillar and no sliding doors.

We have no need at all for the third row, only the space that it occupies for the dogs and travel stuff.  While we like the Hondas, I'm just not sure that the Pilot stacks up option wise against some of its competitors until you get into the much higher trim levels.  

I've always driven boxes or large vehicles, learned to drive in an Astro van.  I HATE driving sedans and minivans.  The 19 definitely is a smoother ride than the 12, so it really is more of what you are used to driving.    

The Bronco is the only "SUV" being made today that doesnt look and drive like a mini van to be honest..

200w.webp

I love how the Blazer gets completely outclassed by every other comparable vehicle in terms of space, seating, towing capacity, etc.  I think C&D ranked it something like 17th in the midsize SUV category.

I just scrolled through that C&D report and I  had to stop taking it seriolsy when they have KIA's and Volkswagens ahead of the 4 Runner - I mean I have at least seen  4 runners off the pavement.. all those listed except the Wrangler and the 4 Runner should be classified as Mini vans or "goofy sedans"

Also the Nissan Armada the best full size SUV?

I just scrolled through that C&D report and I  had to stop taking it seriolsy when they have KIA's and Volkswagens ahead of the 4 Runner - I mean I have at least seen  4 runners off the pavement.. all those listed except the Wrangler and the 4 Runner should be classified as Mini vans or "goofy sedans"

Also the Nissan Armada the best full size SUV?
Because they're not ranking on off road performance.  It's pretty bad if the VW is ahead of the 4 runner though, as the VW Atlas is a shit car.  Poor interior quality and notably bad ride/handling.

Maybe Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman had something to do with the Kias and VWs being ranked higher than they should be 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
I would focus my attention on the seatbelts and rollcage... 

I like how its got a rooftop tent just to make it that much more of a rollover risk. 

Not super exciting, but I picked up a 2020 Mazda 6 this week, 2nd model from top (Grand Touring Reserve). The dealer here has been trying to dump all the 2020s and had the prices pretty low, so I went in with the intention of potentially getting a Miata RF (retractable hard top), but when I got there the prices had dropped even more, and practicality got the best of me and I tried out the 6.  The Miata was a super fun test drive, but even though my wife had pre-approved, I knew I would never actually get to drive it because I always seem to have at least 2 tag-alongs. The 6 is pretty fun to drive and a lot more comfortable, and in reality I probably spend 95% of my road time sitting in traffic so I guess I'd rather be comfortable than sitting in a little sportster, frustrated that I can't move. 

I had looked at getting a Tacoma first, and still would like one, but JFC they're more than twice what I spent on the Mazda 6....

Back