the apple watch?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear a watch every day too. I always feel there's something missing when I go without. It's also great for one on one meetings when you're Lumbergh'ed at 5pm and pulling out a cell phone is too obvious.

When more than half the guys in the meeting have their phones on the table, checking the time is very easy. I just make it look like I'm reading a new email...
I find it obnoxious when people "check email" during a meeting.
It's even better when you receive an email from one of your fellow meeting attendees.

I still wear a watch every day.

I don't understand the argument that a cell phone is a suitable replacement for a watch. I hear this a lot from the younger guys in the office who can't fathom why I still wear a watch. I find it's a lot less cumbersome for me to check the time by looking at my wrist then it is to dig my phone out of my pocket.
To add to that, there's a few nice things about my smart watch. It's much more discrete to check any incoming message without needing to get my phone out. I can also quickly dismiss a call if I'm busy or in another meeting. And if the meeting doesn't really apply to me, I can check the weather and latest sports scores too. ;)

well the younger crowd (anyone less than 30) never puts their phone in their pocket so they don't have to pull it out to see what time it is....

1492202_10205092128327759_51425486583322782_o.jpg

I will stick to my nerdy hiking watch - altimeter, barometric pressure indicator, compass, etc.. the google / apple watches wont be able to tell me their is a serious drop in the barometric pressure at 13,000 feet when out hiking. it also is "solar powered" FTMFW <<-- hates that expression btw!!!

I will stick to my nerdy hiking watch - altimeter, barometric pressure indicator, compass, etc.. the google / apple watches wont be able to tell me their is a serious drop in the barometric pressure at 13,000 feet when out hiking. it also is "solar powered" FTMFW <<-- hates that expression btw!!!
The Galaxy S5 can. It has a barometer in it. ;) Which can be reported accordingly to a smart watch. :thumbs:

Got nothing on solar powered..........yet.

wont be helpful where there are no cell towers or power resupply...

& Iphone has the same thing... neither works well if you are above 8,000 feet or away from cell towers..

Last edited by a moderator:

& Iphone has the same thing... neither works well if you are above 8,000 feet or away from cell towers..
This is why I have a cheap $10 watch from Wally-world for camping.

This is why I have a cheap $10 watch from Wally-world for camping.
If you have Verizon, you'll have service. ;)

At least I did at one of the higher peaks at Aspen Highlands. :D

I did not have service this past weekend at Sylvan Lake State Campground, about 15 miles south of Eagle, which is the point of camping for us. I have full service with Verizon while skiing. However, when out camping for the weekend, I cannot recharge my iPhone 4S (spare me the SMH smiley) at night. The cheapo watch lets me check the time in the middle of the night when mini-Buff 1 or 2 wake up from a nightmare, or wants to get up at 4 AM when the sun just starts peeking over the hills.

were talking further away from civilization than that.... but the tops of the mountains within around 60 miles from I-70 usually have cell service, but from the trail head to the top, naddah..

the places my kids scout troops have gone camping have had zilch for all adults regardless of provider.. we bailed on a backpacking trip when my watch started going crazy around 8 pm.. (we were leaning towards leaving due to weather reports) but that night after we left that place got pummeled in 12" of snow (it had been 60's the day before)

iPhone 4s = poor reception, not surprising. <insert snarky meme here>

were talking further away from civilization than that.... but the tops of the mountains within around 60 miles from I-70 usually have cell service, but from the trail head to the top, naddah..
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I can also get minimal reception in my BIL's plane at some pretty decent altitudes. Just sayin'.

iPhone 4s = poor reception, not surprising. <insert snarky meme here>

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I can also get minimal reception in my BIL's plane at some pretty decent altitudes. Just sayin'.

I'll take you almost ANYWHERE off the road system (and a few locations on it) where it won't matter what phone you have, or carrier, you will NOT have signal.

The coverage maps on the major carriers are fairly accurate for AK on the road system. I say fairly because they don't properly account for terrain in most locations.

If you are referring to just the lower 48 areas, then sure, you're more likely to have signals in remote locations. But I can really show you the true meaning of Remote!

no I am pretty sure if you have a Samsung Galaxy and Verizon you can get coverage at Mount McKinley......

the reason I gave the scouting example, many adults, many types of phones, services when we go camping / backpacking in the valleys of these mountains you aint getting any cell coverage... (which is why I have the ultimate nerd / adventure backpacking watch)

Within 15 miles of the park entrance, ALL cell service is gone. I know where Verizon just put their tower and I also know that it isn't even active yet. Once it is active, it won't help since there is nothing going within park boundaries.

Even satellite phones have issues in several locations I've been to for work.

Back