The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5623.jpgIMG_5620.jpgIMG_5616.jpgIMG_5614.jpgIMG_5619.jpg

These photos are from two weeks ago. Things are growing nicely. Sunflowers are about 6-7 feet tall. Everything grown from seed. 

I think the crazy weather this spring delayed my flowers.  these normally bloom in mid-march, it is mid april and these look to be the only ones going to flower of my bulbed plants.  The other are the blossoms from our crab apple tree.

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

**** - we dont even have that on our radar yet - them maters look like they are doing nice!
Yeah everything is either producing fruit or flowering now. Peppers should be a little larger than what they are but the 6-7 nights in the 40's over the last few weeks didn't help them any. 

we dont plant until after mothers day weekend here - But I am going to do some prep this weekend -

I have an old flower bed we dont use that the previous owner had "plants" in ;)  (which have now died cause were not plants people) but its irrigated so I am going to put my maters there since it gets full sun.

Our landlord (greatest landlord of all time) messaged us today saying he picked up three types of tomatoes for us to grow: early girl, cherry, and celebrity. He's also giving us soil and offered to build a box to either put on our balcony or in our little backyard.

Here's to hoping we have better luck this year than we did last year! And thanks, Vlad!

Our landlord (greatest landlord of all time) messaged us today saying he picked up three types of tomatoes for us to grow: early girl, cherry, and celebrity. He's also giving us soil and offered to build a box to either put on our balcony or in our little backyard.

Here's to hoping we have better luck this year than we did last year! And thanks, Vlad!
"Vlad the impaler" and Tomatoes = 

"

Yeah everything is either producing fruit or flowering now. Peppers should be a little larger than what they are but the 6-7 nights in the 40's over the last few weeks didn't help them any. 
The harvest has begun. Have brought in bell, banana, and jalapeno peppers. And my sunflowers are starting to explode. Will have zucchini by the end of next week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where we at......... corona may be gone before I have a mater sammich...

aa8554282e0935565784dd69e8175725.jpg

The harvest has begun. Have brought in bell, banana, and jalapeno peppers. And my sunflowers are starting to explode. Will have zucchini by the end of next week. 
Looks at watch... about 3 weeks until we can plant. 🙁

We are starting to get buds on the tomatoes and some of the pepper plants here, but it will be awhile until we have anything to harvest (We had a frost about 2.5 weeks ago).  The mint and Parsley plants are growing like crazy.

Looks at watch... about 3 weeks until we can plant. 🙁
I think its the same here.

My broccoli seeds have sprouted and same with the microgreens down in the basement. Boyfriend restarted 1 level of the hydroponics - hasnt had success with this set up and it's been 10months...

I also decided to try regrowing celery & romaine from the cut offs. Theyre growing pretty good!

This is probably bad luck (gardening before Mother’s Day) but I finally fixed some sprinkler heads that had been removed from my system (long story) so figured since I had water I went and put the tomatoes in....

Weather looks clear but I am sure I just summoned something to come down from the Rockies.....

I may have to brave the crowds this weekend to get something to plant, otherwise, our garden will be nonexistent this year.

I try and make little trips during the week towards closing time and usually no one is there to avoid the weekend crowds.

It is strange I drove into the next county Saturday, which is more opened up and there were no lines at stores- less population overall though but i think when the only stores open are home improvement then that’s all people have to do

Broccoli is.going good so is my mesclun.

My tomatoes (2 kinds), onions, and green beans are just starting to poke thru!

20200505_190112.jpg

20200505_184914.jpg

20200505_184434.jpg

We're doing this thing right! We have our tomato plants planted in their containers, and also have the cages in. They're starting to flower and it's making me happy! Even if we don't get a bunch of tomatoes, these plants have a much better container set-up than our sad attempt at tomatoes last year. We also picked up two starter basil plants and a starter mint plant. I'd be ecstatic if the basil actually grows, because I had very little success when I last tried to grow basil (granted, it was a fool's errand at the time, since we got barely any direct sunlight through our former's apartment's only north-facing windows).

Mr. Leggo says no more plants for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're doing this thing right! We have our tomato plants planted in their containers, and also have the cages in. They're starting to flower and it's making me happy! Even if we don't get a bunch of tomatoes, these plants have a much better container set-up than our sad attempt at tomatoes last year. We also picked up two starter basil plants and a starter mint plant. I'd be ecstatic if the basil actually grows, because I had very little success when I last tried to grow basil (granted, it was a fool's errand at the time, since we got barely any direct sunlight through our former's apartment's only north-facing windows).

Mr. Leggo says no more plants for now.
Wait, are these all in the backyard or on your balcony?  If they're not, I totes understand Mr. Leggo's request for no more plants.

As for basil, my mom used to have a ton of varieties in one single pot (It was a big pot).  I think she has normal basil, a weird purple basil, and chocolate mint in one huge pot?

Wait, are these all in the backyard or on your balcony?  If they're not, I totes understand Mr. Leggo's request for no more plants.

As for basil, my mom used to have a ton of varieties in one single pot (It was a big pot).  I think she has normal basil, a weird purple basil, and chocolate mint in one huge pot?
On the balcony.

It's not exactly a crowding issue, though the balcony is more full than it was prior. I think it's mainly the fact we got six different plans in the span of two weeks, which is kind of a lot for us (we normally get one or two plants at a time, though admittedly, have never been so ambitious growing anything for food before this).

Alas, the backyard does not get enough consistent sunlight for us to trust planting anything back there.

Back