Surveying - Construction Staking

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said there has not been any staking questions on the test, maybe someone else remembers otherwise.
However the state has the actual distances on the stake not 5 x 3:1 calc are done so the 20' answere is wrong.
???

The question is asking for the distance between the hingepoint and the centerline, not the stake and centerline. Are you assuming the stake is located at the hingepoint and ignoring the embankment slope detail?

Like I said there has not been any staking questions on the test, maybe someone else remembers otherwise.
However the state has the actual distances on the stake not 5 x 3:1 calc are done so the 20' answere is wrong.
I looked at all these problem's in Reza's Book and it tells you either stationary or moving control point for each except one. On that problem the control point is moving.

This problem; Moving CP: go 15 feet to hinge point and from there go an additional 35 feet to CL. so CL to HP is 35

Stationary CP: HP is 15 away and CL is 35 feet away from point. So CL to HP is 20 feet.

I looked at all these problem's in Reza's Book and it tells you either stationary or moving control point for each except one. On that problem the control point is moving.

This problem; Moving CP: go 15 feet to hinge point and from there go an additional 35 feet to CL. so CL to HP is 35

Stationary CP: HP is 15 away and CL is 35 feet away from point. So CL to HP is 20 feet.

Another hint that the stake is stationary (i.e. all distances from the embankment toe) is that the vertical difference is 0.4 feet. If the HP to CL distance was 35 feet, the cross-slope would be 1.14%. That seems very flat for construction standards. If the distance is 20 feet (which is the correct answer), the cross slope is 2%. As an engineer, this is more realistic for a 40' wide traveling surface than a 70' wide surface with a flatter slope. Remember, the details in the questions aren't random and some common sense is expected when answering them.

Back