Surveying - Construction Staking

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news is I dont think we have to read these stupid stakes for the test, how anyone builds anything with the poor method of relaying info is beyond me, I think the stakes are worthless without the plan, you can see what is being done on the plans and then verify the location for the fill or cut with the stakes.

My read on this is there is 5' of fill at 3:1 the stake is set at the hinge point, since there is a single line you proceed 35 feet of 5' 4 fill from there, I would say that the HP is 35' from the CL.

I had one of those on my CA surveying exam maybe a year ago.

Sorry guys, I think that you do need to know that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 35 feet also. 15 feet to the hinge point, then another 35 to centerline, so HP to CL is 35. What book was this problem in? I think it's a misprint.

I dunno, I actually think these probs are easy, so I hope there is one or two on the test + I think us Engineers should know this stuff. I think the one controversy is that there is notations from the Operating Engineer's Union, which are non-standardized and bring confusion to many.

Good news is I dont think we have to read these stupid stakes for the test, how anyone builds anything with the poor method of relaying info is beyond me, I think the stakes are worthless without the plan, you can see what is being done on the plans and then verify the location for the fill or cut with the stakes.
My read on this is there is 5' of fill at 3:1 the stake is set at the hinge point, since there is a single line you proceed 35 feet of 5' 4 fill from there, I would say that the HP is 35' from the CL.
^ disagree

The stake is assumed to be located at the toe, therefore the horizontal length of the 3:1 slope for 5 feet of fill is 15 feet. The centerline is 35 feet from the stake and is 5 ft, 4 inches high from the toe, or 4" higher than the HP (vertical difference between HP and CL is irrelevant). Therefore, the distance from the HP to the CL is 35 - 15 = 20 feet.

Thanks Sac_Engineer. Looks like you have to know the difference between stationary and moving control points.

This is from Reza's workbook

On a side note, if I work through all of Paul Cuomo's book, would I be covered for Surveying?

I get 35 feet also. 15 feet to the hinge point, then another 35 to centerline, so HP to CL is 35. What book was this problem in? I think it's a misprint.
I dunno, I actually think these probs are easy, so I hope there is one or two on the test + I think us Engineers should know this stuff. I think the one controversy is that there is notations from the Operating Engineer's Union, which are non-standardized and bring confusion to many.

How do we know if a point is stationary or a moving control point? How can we tell by looking at the stake? Thanks!

Thanks Sac_Engineer. Looks like you have to know the difference between stationary and moving control points.

The centerline is 35 feet from the stake and is 5 ft, 4 inches high from the toe, or 4" higher than the HP (vertical difference between HP and CL is irrelevant). Therefore, the distance from the HP to the CL is 35 - 15 = 20 feet.
By the way, the 5 and an underlined 4 mean 5 and 4-tenths or 5.4 ft, not 5 ft 4 inches.

The centerline is 35 feet from the stake and is 5 ft, 4 inches high from the toe, or 4" higher than the HP (vertical difference between HP and CL is irrelevant). Therefore, the distance from the HP to the CL is 35 - 15 = 20 feet.
By the way, the 5 and an underlined 4 mean 5 and 4-tenths or 5.4 ft, not 5 ft 4 inches.
Ah, the 0.8 inch error! :) I guess that's why I stated that the vertical difference is irrelevant, but thanks for the clarification.

How do we know if a point is stationary or a moving control point? How can we tell by looking at the stake? Thanks!

I think you have be told that in the problem, but now you got me worried that there is some type of notation on the stake that lets you know that. I just went to Reza's seminar and all of these problems it was stated either stationary or moving control points.

On a side note, if I work through all of Paul Cuomo's book, would I be covered for Surveying?

I did only the Cuomo Book + the 120 Solved Books and did not pass. Part of the reason also is I took all three exams, with the Surveying the last test- My brain was starting to crash at that point ;-). I'm seeing a lot of questions in Reza'a book which are similar to the ones on the exam, so I think its best to go through these 3 books. I'm just worried about speed + not making mistakes. It seems to me that mistakes are very easy to do in Surveying, which is why, in practice, everything is double, triple... checked over etc. So it makes for a tough test.

I dont recall any reading and interpretaion of stakes on the exam, I looked in the caltrans manual and found stake marking exactly like this and with a single line seperating the two distances it means that you measure from the point you are at, ie 15' from the stake, however, like I said they seem to make the rules as they go and so it is nearly impossible to tell even these simple measures.

I tried to find in my references the definition the lines, some where they tell you what to do if the measurements are seperated by a single line or a double line but I cannot find it now.

Also if you look at g-o it says that the stake shows the actual distance, there is not need to do math on the stake using the 3:1 slope so the distance to the HP is 5'.

Staking.jpg

Stationary and moving points need tot be stated in the problem, it is not something we can interpret/guess.

If no statement is provided, assume it is moving.

Yikesy ...you're giving me the jitters. I have no time to do any other workbook now...

I did only the Cuomo Book + the 120 Solved Books and did not pass. Part of the reason also is I took all three exams, with the Surveying the last test- My brain was starting to crash at that point ;-). I'm seeing a lot of questions in Reza'a book which are similar to the ones on the exam, so I think its best to go through these 3 books. I'm just worried about speed + not making mistakes. It seems to me that mistakes are very easy to do in Surveying, which is why, in practice, everything is double, triple... checked over etc. So it makes for a tough test.

So if it is a stationary control point, than the answer of 20 feet governs but if it is a moving control point, then the answer is 35 feet?????

^ disagree

The stake is assumed to be located at the toe, therefore the horizontal length of the 3:1 slope for 5 feet of fill is 15 feet. The centerline is 35 feet from the stake and is 5 ft, 4 inches high from the toe, or 4" higher than the HP (vertical difference between HP and CL is irrelevant). Therefore, the distance from the HP to the CL is 35 - 15 = 20 feet.

The stake is 35 feet from the centerline. This is the absolute point of reference, so I'm not sure how it's considered a moving control point? I guess this would explain some swivels along some of the roads I've been on. :)

Like I said there has not been any staking questions on the test, maybe someone else remembers otherwise.

However the state has the actual distances on the stake not 5 x 3:1 calc are done so the 20' answere is wrong.

Back