Success Strategy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I took the PE exam (power) the first time in April 2010, I basically studied on my own by doing problems from the NCEES sample exam and the Kaplan book (despite the numerous errors). I used all my applicable references for this and tabbed them accordingly. I also did a mock exam with the sample exam 2 or 3 days before the actual test. When I learned that I would need to retake the exam in Oct., I decided to change up my study habits by taking an online review course from GA Tech. This helped me to get into more of a class-style study routine. It also helped me in not only working more problems, but also reinforcing fundamental concepts. Utilizing the course materials to supplement practice problems was very beneficial. I was able to focus on the core subjects for the PE power exam and better organize/tab my references. I made my own sheet of notes and equations in these fundamental areas.

I passed the PE (Power) with a 93.
-I took the Testmasters Prep course.
Hey Wes, where'd you sit in the Testmasters course (in Houston)? I was in the back row (one of the talkative gray haired guys in the back corner, lol).

I studied a lot. I read a lot of extra material. I downloaded most of the Internet (lol). I went through the practice exam at least 7 times. I made a great formula sheet workbook and knew where everything was in it. I studied too much. When I walked in to the exam, my brain was set on "kill". Things clicked for me. I didn't use much of my reference material. Mostly my formula sheet workbook (for per unit stuff, and a few other things), and then the Testmasters stuff (especially for economics etc).

I thought (for the Power exam, anyway), the questions were not too deep at all. Only one or two problems required more than a couple lines of calculations. This issue is knowing which formula to use and running with it. I had all the formulas handy and ready to go.
I was back row as well, more towards the center-right side (facing the instructor). I was probably one of the more talkative people in the room. Congrats on passing, Test Masters really helped prepare me.

I passed.
What I did was read all the chapters from PPI for my discipline.

Then I did all the practice problems also from PPI.

Then I did the all the the practice exam problems from both NCEES and PPI.

Then I did all the practice exam problems again.

Then I went to the areas I had problems with and did them again.

I also tabbed the practice exam problems and books so I could find

them easily.

Between application fees, test fees, and study materials I was put out

nearly a G. So there is no such thing as over prepared.
I know what you mean about the money. Between review course, other reference materials, calculator, fees, etc., I spent quite a bit myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I did that saved a ton of time was to tab the index of the CERM, (CE Reference Manual). That really helped. Also, practice taking tests in actual test conditions. Don't look at answers after every question and try to get through questions in 6 minutes or less.

I tabbed the reference manual as well!! The simulated test is extremely helpful. Put you in the right frame of mind. I did that twice before the real exam.

Sharon

The best advice I heard was, "know what you know, and more importantly know what you DON'T know". It's along test with lots of questions. You won't know the answer to everything, answer what you know then come back and answer the other questions.
I think that is critical. Know your strength. One you complete the simple problems and then those in your strong area, you have your confidence and momentum flowing. Then you can tackle the rest!

I agre with you, I took a week of vacation simulated the same 8 hour period of the exam and I passed the first time.

For those that passed, to what do you attribute your success??
- I would say 3 major things: PRAYER, practice exams (get a good practice test, block out an 8-hour day and simulate the real test.), and strategic approach to TAKING the test.

a. I read all the way through the test and marked the "category" of question. i.e. XFMR, trans. line, sync. motor, etc. While

reading through the first pass, I answered the plug-and-chug questions that were quick and just plugging numbers.

b. Then I did all the NEC questions on the second pass.

c. Third pass was the problems I felt really confident about thereby building my confidence and momentum. All the while I am

keeping a mental note of my "correctness factor". I tried to stay focused, even through the CRAZY questions not letting

anything take me away from my strategy. And I prayed constantly throughout.

When I took the PE exam (power) the first time in April 2010, I basically studied on my own by doing problems from the NCEES sample exam and the Kaplan book (despite the numerous errors). I used all my applicable references for this and tabbed them accordingly. I also did a mock exam with the sample exam 2 or 3 days before the actual test. When I learned that I would need to retake the exam in Oct., I decided to change up my study habits by taking an online review course from GA Tech. This helped me to get into more of a class-style study routine. It also helped me in not only working more problems, but also reinforcing fundamental concepts. Utilizing the course materials to supplement practice problems was very beneficial. I was able to focus on the core subjects for the PE power exam and better organize/tab my references. I made my own sheet of notes and equations in these fundamental areas.
I, too, took the exam for the firt time in April and had to retake in October. My degree is electrical and computer engineering so Power was no where in the mix, other than the basic courses. I spent 15 years working in the computer Industry for IBM but found my self at a utility company after being laid off. I had 5 years utility experience in Electric Transmission Operations when I took the PE. So reviewing and strengthening myself in Power Fundamentals was critical and I believe made the difference this time. I studied in a group and we would work problems and openly discuss approach, technique etc. Sometimes the solution provided with the sample problems goes "against your grain or your logical flow" and can be quite confusing. So, if you understand the fundamentals and what the question is asking, you can be successful even if your path is slightly different than the provided solution. And this Engineering Board was a TREMENDOUS help. When I got stuck, I could come out here and find an existing thread on the subject or get an answer from a subject matter expert amongst the membership. I plan to maintain my connection to the board so I can potentially help someone technically or with some words of encouragement.

I went thru the morning sections of the 6 min solutions for all subjects & about 75% of the afternoon portion for my subject. I did this about a month and half out. Then the two weeks before the exam I went thru the same material again. I felt I was very prepared.

For all of those who are studying, do not get discouraged that it takes more than 6 minutes to do the practice problems. Generally the practice problems are more difficult than the exam problem.

On exam day. Do the problems you know first, if you get hung up, skip it and go back at the end.

And, lets not forget, prayer never hurt anyone.

I passed the PE (Power) with a 93.
-I took the practice test to help me figure out what areas I was weakest in.

-I took the Testmasters Prep course.

-Then I took the practice test again to figure out where I still needed some work.

-I studied individual subject areas in depth, especially the areas I was weak in.

-Then I took the practice test again to make sure that I was comfortable with all of the subjects.

I probably studied 60-80 hours on my own outside of Testmasters (~150 hours total). I didn't think I did nearly as well as my score indicated. I am a good test taker in general so that probably helped. And yes, I prayed as well.
Wes...

How did you know what your score was? Did they tell you? What state are you in? I live in SC and I heard that they don't tell you your score. I guess that is up to the individual states. I sure would like to know what my score is. Of course, I am not even posted on the SC site yet!!!

I agre with you, I took a week of vacation simulated the same 8 hour period of the exam and I passed the first time.
For those that passed, to what do you attribute your success??
- I would say 3 major things: PRAYER, practice exams (get a good practice test, block out an 8-hour day and simulate the real test.), and strategic approach to TAKING the test.

a. I read all the way through the test and marked the "category" of question. i.e. XFMR, trans. line, sync. motor, etc. While

reading through the first pass, I answered the plug-and-chug questions that were quick and just plugging numbers.

b. Then I did all the NEC questions on the second pass.

c. Third pass was the problems I felt really confident about thereby building my confidence and momentum. All the while I am

keeping a mental note of my "correctness factor". I tried to stay focused, even through the CRAZY questions not letting

anything take me away from my strategy. And I prayed constantly throughout.
My management was extremely supportive with time for study. I was able to take time at work as well as take time off to study. That is indeed a blessing.

1. Do as many of the practice problems as possible. If you feel on some of them that you just wanted to “get through it” and didn’t really understand how to get the solution, wait for awhile and do them again (and again, if necessary). You should KNOW how to do the problems.

2. Tab MERM like crazy. Come up with a color coded system. It’ll save time looking for things. Think about what units are used in the equations. Realize that you may have to use conversion factors for some of them. Getting the units right is a HUGE chunk of the battle.

3. MERM is great, but it’s not the only reference. I got much better versions of the Mollier and Psych charts, and refrigerant tables. I also made my own quick reference guide for common equations and unit conversions.

4. Do the NCEES sample exam. It'll give you a good idea what it "feels" like.

5. If some equations require tedious calculations, program them. It’ll save you time and reduce the chance for error.

6. Get plenty of rest the day before. Don’t cram at the last minute.

1. Do as many of the practice problems as possible. If you feel on some of them that you just wanted to “get through it” and didn’t really understand how to get the solution, wait for awhile and do them again (and again, if necessary). You should KNOW how to do the problems.

2. Tab MERM like crazy. Come up with a color coded system. It’ll save time looking for things. Think about what units are used in the equations. Realize that you may have to use conversion factors for some of them. Getting the units right is a HUGE chunk of the battle.

3. MERM is great, but it’s not the only reference. I got much better versions of the Mollier and Psych charts, and refrigerant tables. I also made my own quick reference guide for common equations and unit conversions.

5. If some equations require tedious calculations, program them. It’ll save you time and reduce the chance for error.

Great advice Robert.

I passed.

them easily.

Same here, I studied everything. I didn't tab the reference manual because I remembered where most things are at and tabbing doesn't help me. I used different color highlighter for different sections and those helped a lot.

Wes...
How did you know what your score was? Did they tell you? What state are you in? I live in SC and I heard that they don't tell you your score. I guess that is up to the individual states. I sure would like to know what my score is. Of course, I am not even posted on the SC site yet!!!

Texas tells you your score and puts it on your engineer seal so that everyone knows how good of an engineer you are. (Obviously kidding about the second part).

My steps passing the PE on the second try this past October:

Before the test:

- I tabbed the sections of the reference guide;

- Took the online BSCE prep course;

- Did every example, practice and test problem I could get my hands on (spent about 200 hrs);

- Lots of praying;

During the test:

- Checked, re-checked and triple checked each answer;

- Filled the bubble sheet out only after triple checking the answers; and

- Double checked that the correct answer was indicated on the answer sheet.

I'm not positive, but I had suspected issues with my afternoon answer sheet in the April 2010 exam. The results from NCEES indicated that I passed the morning portion with an 81% , but the afternoon section was only 23%. I specifically remember having an error that I corrected in one of the answer sheets that I went back and corrected it. Maybe I made another mistake that I didn't catch in the afternoon?

Lesson learned though, always verify that your answers are correctly marked on the answer sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wes...

Texas tells you your score and puts it on your engineer seal so that everyone knows how good of an engineer you are. (Obviously kidding about the second part).

LOL!!! You had me going for a minute!

I passed.

them easily.

Same here, I studied everything. I didn't tab the reference manual because I remembered where most things are at and tabbing doesn't help me. I used different color highlighter for different sections and those helped a lot.
Sounds good. Whatever works best for you - just make sure you can navigate quickly.

My steps passing the PE on the second try this past October:
Before the test:

- I tabbed the sections of the reference guide;

- Took the online BSCE prep course;

- Did every example, practice and test problem I could get my hands on (spent about 200 hrs);

- Lots of praying;

During the test:

- Checked, re-checked and triple checked each answer;

- Filled the bubble sheet out only after triple checking the answers; and

- Double checked that the correct answer was indicated on the answer sheet.

I'm not positive, but I had suspected issues with my afternoon answer sheet in the April 2010 exam. The results from NCEES indicated that I passed the morning portion with an 81% , but the afternoon section was only 23%. I specifically remember having an error that I corrected in one of the answer sheets that I went back and corrected it. Maybe I made another mistake that I didn't catch in the afternoon?

Lesson learned though, always verify that your answers are correctly marked on the answer sheet.

Excellent point!! I checked my answers quickly to make sure none were missing that I had marked the correct bubble per question. That scenario is very possible where you get out of sync and have the correct anwers but just in the wrong place. You would think they could check for that. But, I guess it's too much trouble.

1. Do as many of the practice problems as possible. If you feel on some of them that you just wanted to “get through it” and didn’t really understand how to get the solution, wait for awhile and do them again (and again, if necessary). You should KNOW how to do the problems.2. Tab MERM like crazy. Come up with a color coded system. It’ll save time looking for things. Think about what units are used in the equations. Realize that you may have to use conversion factors for some of them. Getting the units right is a HUGE chunk of the battle.

Pretty close at what I did.

I did the example tests from MERM and NCEES 3 times (at the beginning, middle and end of my study period) and tabulate the results to see my improvement and my worst areas.

Even though the exam was more difficult that I was expecting (especially the HVAC afternoon) I kept my pace and worked the problems.

I help that I took the FE only one year ago, so the 8 plus hours didn't exhaust me this time. I can't say the same about the FE exam I did pretty well, but at the end I was drained (I even return the exam 40 minutes before the time expired with a major headache).

I'm not religious at all, so I can't count the praying.

Latest posts

Back