Stupid Question...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks
Reaction score
somewhere between a rock and a hard place...
I've heard a few hum-dingers in the last few weeks where I just want to look at the person and say "Did you really just ask me that?"

I'm not talking questions like "where is room 209?" (to which I usually want to respond, I don't know, check a different floor because all the rooms in our hallway start with a number one) or "can I ask you a question?" (you just did, idiot)

Regardless... today when someone asked me "If I click on the button that says sort data, what will it do?" I got wondering, Are people just this stupid now days... or are they so lazy that they just don't want to try to figure out the answers themselves? (I'm sure that is probably a stupid question.)

So, what's the worst one you've been asked?

I got wondering, Are people just this stupid now days... or are they so lazy that they just don't want to try to figure out the answers themselves?
Yep basically. It's amazing what some will ask when if they actually thought about it themselves for a couple minutes, they probably could have answered it. I'll have to think on a couple good ones I've been asked recently.

BTW, I always snark at the "Can I ask you a question?" types.

I'm a compulsive stupid question asker. Sometimes I do it out of nervousness if the questionee is attractive.

Examples of my worst: "[Name]...so, that's your first name?" and at an office, "So, do you work here?"

I'm a compulsive stupid question asker. Sometimes I do it out of nervousness if the questionee is attractive.

Examples of my worst: "[Name]...so, that's your first name?" and at an office, "So, do you work here?"

I should have included that the person got up from their desk, walked down the hall, asked me if I could come help them, and then asked me what the sort button does when I got to their office...

I don't think that was a nervous thing, which is something I have done myself as well... or I think a question in my head but accidentally ask it out loud...

See i don't find that sort question all that nuts...there are lots of ways to sort something...not knowing how that particular program worked and not wanting to mess with any undo features.

I got wondering, Are people just this stupid now days... or are they so lazy that they just don't want to try to figure out the answers themselves?

This website is a perfect example of the latter - people come on here wanting to be spoon-fed instead of trying to find the answer themselves. Me thinks it's a generational thing. That's why I love the "Let me goodle that for you" website. I've used it on here with people before.

I spent 20 minutes last night trying to teach my 8-yr old that there is no such thing as a stupid question...

dammit.

Sometimes I'd rather people ask stupid than go and do stupid. As they say, "Don't ASSUME. It makes an ASS out of U and ME." (however, I hate when people say that)

In my head, I really saw this going along the lines of a Jeff Foxworthy 'Here's your sign' skit/song
"Here's your sign" is Bill Engvall.

Foxworthy does the "You might be a redneck" bit

Last edited by a moderator:
okay this is getting far too complicated... I work in the finance department where everyone has an accounting degree and the program was microsoft excel...
Actually the steps involved in sorting an excel spreadsheet aren't necessarily intuitive to an excel noob, but that's what the "help" button is for

Sometimes I'd rather people ask stupid than go and do stupid. As they say, "Don't ASSUME. It makes an ASS out of U and ME." (however, I hate when people say that)

I say that when you assume, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.
and what an ass it is.

Back