Study group for April 2021 exam-16 hour Structural Building

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be studying for the Lateral Exam. I did not pass the Lateral this time around.

I was very disappointed in the PPI course this year.  With all the slide errors and publication issues, I feel it was worse than when I took the course in 2016.  I am considering the AEI Lateral course.

I'll be taking it then :)  I signed up for the PPI prep course (only because my company said okay to paying for it lol).  So that starts January 19th....but I got all the study materials and codes printed this past weekend so I was going to start reviewing casually in the next few weeks.
fern26, I sent you a PM.

I would be interested in joining a study group. I passed the vertical this fall by studying alone,  but I feel I could use some help setting up a study plan for the lateral portion. 

@texan How did you want to handle the study group?  I am not sure what options are available.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe Google Meet?? Maximum 100 participants, with a 60 minutes time limit.

Maybe Zoom?? Maximum 100 participants, with a 40 minutes time limit.

Hi there! I passed my PE str last Fall and decided to try SE vertical in April 2021 and, if everything goes well, I will take lateral in October 2021. I'm debating now if I need to buy 14th edition of Seismic Steel Design Manual for my vertical exam since it is listed in NCEES references. I know I'll definitely need it for the lateral later. But the Codes will most likely change and I'll need 15th edition. So, I don't really want to buy 14th edition for the vertical exam if I end up not using it at all... Any advise? Have anyone taken SE vertical? Did you use Seismic Steel Design Manual for it?

Registered for the April Lateral SE exam. How is everyone doing with the studying? Hopefully there is no cancellation of the exam like last year. Crossing my fingers on vaccines..

I registered for Vertical SE. I’m taking AEI course and so far so good, knocking out all the homework and doing some PPI book problems as well for each covered topic. I’m following AEI study schedule and the worst (for me) topics are not covered yet. This makes me concerned a bit. The less days are remaining on my countdown board, the later I stay every night :). It’s my first try and it is definitely going to be a challenge!

Last edited:
Back