Study Buddy?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Anybody want to set a study schedule for April's PE- transpo emphasis? I know that stumbling upon eb.com at the last moment last year helped me get prepped...albeit not enough. There's a lot here, so maybe a few of us can band together to kick this test in the ass.

Anybody want to set a study schedule for April's PE- transpo emphasis? I know that stumbling upon eb.com at the last moment last year helped me get prepped...albeit not enough. There's a lot here, so maybe a few of us can band together to kick this test in the ass.
What do you mean by a "study schedule"? I am taking the April PE - transpo. I was pretty close last time. I took water resources the first two times I attempted the test but got rocked by the enviro and advanced hydrology (which I don't do a lot of).

owillis

Like maybe work through the same subjects at the same time...so at least someone is studying enviro at the same time as me. Bounce questions off of each other. I know a lot of it is still going to be independent study, but it seems easier to be locked in the basement with books if I know someone else is too!

^^^ Don't forget to post Q's too - especially Enviro and WR. :) I am always looking for a distraction from the job and classwork. :)

JR

Okay, so I really started studying again last night, starting with geotech. I was freaking out that it all seemed very familiar. That's when I went to check my scores for geotech- 50% in the morning, 83% in the afternoon. That helps me narrow down that I need to probably skip going over soil classification again and hit foundations pretty hard. This failing once stuff has some advantages...

Of course, I'm making the HUGE assumption that I nailed anything I think I did. Hmm...

Okay, so I really started studying again last night, starting with geotech. I was freaking out that it all seemed very familiar. That's when I went to check my scores for geotech- 50% in the morning, 83% in the afternoon. That helps me narrow down that I need to probably skip going over soil classification again and hit foundations pretty hard. This failing once stuff has some advantages...
Of course, I'm making the HUGE assumption that I nailed anything I think I did. Hmm...
I started reading the first chapter of geotech last night. I ended up falling asleep it seemed so familiar and got very boring. I am going to start hitting foundations and retaining walls as those were what gave me the most trouble on the exam. I think I got a 38% in the morning and an 83% in the afternoon.

owillis

I'm here for the gangbang. April '08 here I come.

I'm studying Ch. 17 of the CERM and the corresponding review problems.

I am stuck on problem #7 on pp. 17-2 of the practice problems (not 17-2 of the CERM, 17-2 of the corresponding practice probs).

I have the answer in the practice problem manual, and it basically says that you have to solve the 4 equations simultaneously. I've searched the web to no avail. Am I just beating my head against the wall over some easy Algebraic thing?

I am stuck on problem #7 on pp. 17-2 of the practice problems (not 17-2 of the CERM, 17-2 of the corresponding practice probs).
I have the answer in the practice problem manual, and it basically says that you have to solve the 4 equations simultaneously. I've searched the web to no avail. Am I just beating my head against the wall over some easy Algebraic thing?
I don't have my CERM with me (at the office) but I just wanted to point out two things in general as you are studying:

1. I was told a GOOD rule of thumb was not to take more than 20 minutes on any given problem. If you are spending more time than the 20-mins, you are really giving up A LOT of your edge in getting QUALITY study time.

2. While you are studying, a GOOD rule of thumb is to not study for more than three consecutive hours in any given study session. That is not to say that you should limit yourself to three hours per day - just make sure to give yourself breaks. Even if they are small breaks. Studies show that you retention drops off sharply in that time window.

3. As far as THIS problem goes - you are not going to be expected to simultaneously solve a system of four equations. I am thinking there is probably a substitution trick in there along the way, but again you aren't going to be expected to execute a problem of that level of difficulty.

JR

Thanks jr. btw, did you ever find out who shot you? :) j/k

Thanks for the tips, they pretty much reinforce what I have been thinking as far as study philosophy. The only thing I am concerned about is the things I might miss along the way if I don't at least try to solve some of these all the way through.

For example, I keep finding myself looking up Re and schedule 40 dimensions that correspond to the nominal diameter they typically give you. This has led me to realize that it will be a good thing to get some of these things (like abs. visc. of water at STP, Re equation, and a table of schedule 40 diameters/areas that correspond to the nominal diameter, Moody diagram, etc) and put them in a quick reference guide for myself that I can slip into one of my three ring binders.

As far as the study length thing, I find it hard to concentrate for long periods of time anyway, so I usually take a break every hour or so. I have found through my studies in school that this method helps me retain the most.

I know I'm probably going overkill on the simultaneous solution thing for the 4 equations, but I just want to be sure that I am. If there isn't a "simple" solution to the four equations then I might not expect to see it on the exam. However, they may give me the necessary parameters that might make the solution of the 4 equations easy as opposed to doing a bunch of algebraic yoga. In this sense, I want to be familiar with what goes into solving the problem so that if I am given the necessary parameters I will know when/how/where to plug and chug.

I truly appreciate the advice though. Thanks!

Thanks jr. btw, did you ever find out who shot you? :) j/k
Thanks for the tips, they pretty much reinforce what I have been thinking as far as study philosophy. The only thing I am concerned about is the things I might miss along the way if I don't at least try to solve some of these all the way through.

For example, I keep finding myself looking up Re and schedule 40 dimensions that correspond to the nominal diameter they typically give you. This has led me to realize that it will be a good thing to get some of these things (like abs. visc. of water at STP, Re equation, and a table of schedule 40 diameters/areas that correspond to the nominal diameter, Moody diagram, etc) and put them in a quick reference guide for myself that I can slip into one of my three ring binders.

As far as the study length thing, I find it hard to concentrate for long periods of time anyway, so I usually take a break every hour or so. I have found through my studies in school that this method helps me retain the most.

I know I'm probably going overkill on the simultaneous solution thing for the 4 equations, but I just want to be sure that I am. If there isn't a "simple" solution to the four equations then I might not expect to see it on the exam. However, they may give me the necessary parameters that might make the solution of the 4 equations easy as opposed to doing a bunch of algebraic yoga. In this sense, I want to be familiar with what goes into solving the problem so that if I am given the necessary parameters I will know when/how/where to plug and chug.

I truly appreciate the advice though. Thanks!
I remember struggling over the same problem. You seem to have a very good understanding of the problem that you are trying to work through and what related problem you will see on the exam.

As a veteran of taking the PE exam, I can tell you that becoming familiar with what goes into solving this problem is WHAT YOU NEED TO DO! I would also recommend that you search for similiar problems in sample exams or other study material thats will demonstrate solving for different variables.

Just my :2cents:

owillis

As somebody who just recently passed the Transpo exam, the Practice Problems in the CERM are much harder and more difficult than the ones in the exam. Try the 6 minute solution practice exams for a more representative sample of problems.

Need any help just give me a holler.

Crap. I've been studying and just feel that I can study forever on any of these topics :smileyballs:

I'm taking a PE review course right now though, so hopefully that will put my study scope into perspective.

As somebody who just recently passed the Transpo exam, the Practice Problems in the CERM are much harder and more difficult than the ones in the exam. Try the 6 minute solution practice exams for a more representative sample of problems.
Need any help just give me a holler.
OK, I'm hollering.

I'm stuck on a geotech. issue. When using the general bearing capacity equation along with the Meyerhof and Vesic Bearing Capacity Factors ("N" values), which N sub gamma do I use and when? With the Meyerhof and Vesic table on pp. 36-3 of the CERM there are 2 columns for N sub gamma.

I am working problems in the Lindeburg Review Problem book (problem 4 on pp. 36-6) and it asks which N sub gamma to use. This particular problem specifies that you use the smaller value (15.7) for a sand with phi=30 degrees. Sometimes the answers specify to use the Vesic value, and other times the Meyerhof value.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. You'd think they would always use the smaller of the two values to be more conservative, but this is not always the case, at least with the Lindeburg Review Problem booklet.

Any insights here??

Thanks in advance.

okay, I officially fell off the face of engineerboards.com, but I'm trying to make it back. I was feeling crushed by studying and then READING about studying here :)

Back