Solar and Wind

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus, they kinda kill the scenery. There's my NIMBY statement for the thread.
I guess to play devil's advocate, I just love the way the sunset highlights the great views of a coal power plant...

coal_fired_power_plant.jpg

A) That picture is photoshopped. B) Most of that "smoke" is steam from the cooling towers!

A) That picture is photoshopped. B) Most of that "smoke" is steam from the cooling towers!
A) I know this one isn't (ash spill in Knoxville TN)...

coal-ash-sludge-spill-tennessee01.jpg

B) I know that it's steam, still doesn't make it look any more "pretty"

My whole argument is that I find it annoying when people talk about how "ugly" the wind farms are, but you don't hear a peep from anyone concerning the existing coal plants...

A) I know this one isn't (ash spill in Knoxville TN)...

coal-ash-sludge-spill-tennessee01.jpg

B) I know that it's steam, still doesn't make it look any more "pretty"

My whole argument is that I find it annoying when people talk about how "ugly" the wind farms are, but you don't hear a peep from anyone concerning the existing coal plants...
Oh, common. That'll buff right out.

No one is telling me that a coal plant is supposed to be majestic, nor are they shoving it in my face.

I'm really not that bothered by alternative energy, but I am bothered by uppity hippies.

boulder_overview.jpg

Hey, that looks like where my wife got her first degree. I call her a hippy all the time because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should put up windmills with blades covered in solar PV cells. That way you can generate wind AND solar energy on the same footprint.

No one is telling me that a coal plant is supposed to be majestic, nor are they shoving it in my face.
I'm really not that bothered by alternative energy, but I am bothered by uppity hippies.

boulder_overview.jpg
I almost went there for grad school.

Also, I lived in Vermont for several years, my hippie radar is pretty keen at this point.

I'll tell you all what I find truly majestic:

A house that is warmed and cooled to a comfortable temperature.

Running water that is clean and warm to bath in and wash dishes and laundry.

A refrigerator that keeps things cold.

A stove in the house to cook food.

A car to get me places too far to walk.

Airplanes that take me farther places.

Computers, cell phones, television, boats, farm tractors, microwaves, dishwashers, lawn mowers, factories that make products, ....

What is intolerable to me is people who enjoy these things, and will not give them up, but talk about how we should all do the "right" thing. How do they know what is "RIGHT"? Scientific studies, right? Well, there have been so many scientific studies and theories that have been disproved that I don't consider science very reliable any more.

Computers, cell phones, television, boats, farm tractors, microwaves, dishwashers, lawn mowers, factories that make products, ....

What is intolerable to me is people who enjoy these things, and will not give them up, but talk about how we should all do the "right" thing. How do they know what is "RIGHT"? Scientific studies, right? Well, there have been so many scientific studies and theories that have been disproved that I don't consider science very reliable any more.
I want to hug you I agree with you so much.

I want to hug you I agree with you so much.
x2

You nailed that one, mary.

Recently I visited a windfarm under construction. The foundations were of the most interest to me. I learned the airfoil on the back of the generator is for the oil coolers. If the turbine oil overheats then naturally they catch fire.

I haven't crunched the numbers to determine the efficacy of wind turbines, but they seem a decent idea if you have enough wind for enough days of the year. The biggest problem I can think of is there seems no way to store the excess energy so without a buffer they only work when the wind is blowing. A community still needs fossil plants.

It's pretty simple:

Hot weather => daytime => high loads => no wind.

Cool weather => night time => low loads => steady wind

boulder_overview.jpg
Ah, the People's Republic of Boulder. Living there for four years was enough for me.

Back