Soil, Soil everwhere and not a bit to eat...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusionWhite

Epee ~)----- Fencer
Reaction score
Well after harrassing my boss to give me more field work I got my wish and they're sending me out to do soil sampling with a drill crew. I got a VERY fast crash course on identifying soil types (sandy, silty, fat clay, lean clay etc etc). I was wondering if anyone could point me toward some resources (books, websites or documents) that I could brush up on geology and geotech kind of material. Im a chemical/environmental engineer so I have almost no geology or civil background.

I have a book from 1951 that Im reading through and its been pretty helpful but I dont have time to read through a text book from the 50's. A quick reference which I could study for a few days and take with me would be ideal. Thanks.

EDIT: Wrong forum, please move to the Civil Engineering Forum. Thanks and sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the official NRCS field handbook. I also have a short book on basic soil science. It's at home so I can give you the name of it later on. Also get your hands on the Munsell color guide.

In VT, if you want to be approved as a septic designer, you have to take this one-day soils seminar and pass the field test at the end. Both of these books were given to us as part of the registration fee for the class.

The degree of detail and accuracy you need is really based on what type of project you're doing.

If you're installing a pipe in the ground, you can get away with a rough approximation plus noting where groundwater and ledge are encountered.

If you're designing a septic, or looking to put a building on it, you need to get much more specific. Fine silty sand, 3/2 YR, not friable, 10% coarse, red mottling at 14"...

Fusion --

What are the soil samples being analyzed for and how will those results be used for study/design analysis ??

I ask because I review and interpret lots of lithology logs. I am primarily interested in the hydraulic properties of the soil because I am evaluating groundwater flow and contaminant fate and transport.

JR

Thanks for the reply. Its actually only for environmental testing. We're just logging the soil type and texture for our records. Hell we probably wouldnt really even need it since Im just grabbing sample to take to the lab for testing but since they're having me log this stuff I want to do it right.

Ill see if I can get a copy of that field book ordered. We have the Munsell Color Guides in the office I can grab before I go out in the field.

Fusion --
What are the soil samples being analyzed for and how will those results be used for study/design analysis ??

I ask because I review and interpret lots of lithology logs. I am primarily interested in the hydraulic properties of the soil because I am evaluating groundwater flow and contaminant fate and transport.

JR
We're taking the samples to a lab to be tested for VOC's, SVOC's, metals and PCB's. Its not testing so much for the geotechnical properties but we're logging the samples anyway. Im probably being much more anal retentive then I need to be about it but Im hoping to do more field work so I dont want to screw it up.

That DOT manual is awesome. Its going to take me a while to read through it but looks like thats exactly what I need.

We're taking the samples to a lab to be tested for VOC's, SVOC's, metals and PCB's. Its not testing so much for the geotechnical properties but we're logging the samples anyway. Im probably being much more anal retentive then I need to be about it but Im hoping to do more field work so I dont want to screw it up.
It's easier to take extra data in the field doing your investigation than it is to realize you're missing some key data in the middle of your design calcs. :true:

Latest posts

Back