Single Phase Load on Delta Transformer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltzz

Reaction score
What is calculation for delta winding currents IAB, ICA, IBC when single phase load is connected between line A and B. Line current will be IA=Vab/Z=-IB, IC=0. But how can winding current be calculated?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Create a 3x3 matrix M = [1/3, -1/3, 0; 0, 1/3, -1/3; -1/3, 0, 1/3]. Create a column vector of line currents I = [IA; IB; IC]. Multiply M*I to get vector of phase currents [IAB; IBC; ICA].

The derivation of M was a little painful; it's the pseudoinverse of the non-invertible transformation matrix [1, 0, -1; -1, 1, 0; 0, -1, 1] that transforms a vector of delta phase currents to a vector of line currents. I modeled an example circuit in both LTSpice and Octave as well as doing a hand calculation, and got the same results for all three, so I'm pretty sure my method is correct. Hopefully, someone else will tackle the derivation and confirm my result. My solution works for three-phase unbalanced line currents of any values.

Last edited:
Back