Sick Coworkers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Price

Tattoo Girl, PE
Reaction score
Why do people still feel the need to come to work when they are sick????

When I had the flu 2 weeks ago, I made sure to stay away from work until my fever broke (although I am sure I got it from one of my coworkers who was sick the previous week and did come in to work).

Today, I get to work to listen to the guy next to me puking his guts out and two of my other coworkers are sick as well. The guy puking was like, oh, I just have a headache and am sick to my stomach. Haven't you been watching the news?!?!?! There is a stomach bug traveling around Charlotte and thank you for bringing it to work today.

ARGH! Dear coworkers, you are not so important that being out sick for a few days will shut down our office. GO HOME!

At my job they ACTIVELY encourage employees to stay home if they are sick and point out the liberal sick leave policy for those who are too stubborn to want to utilize it.

I completely agree with you - if you are sick stay home! You aren't helping yourself recover and you aren't endearing any of your co-workers with you feats of stamina if THEY end up losing work.

JR

My husband (and all of his coworkers) got an email last week reminding them that, while they are responsible for getting someone to cover any critical tasks, they are REQUIRED to stay home if they are vomiting, have a fever over 100F, yada, yada, yada. It reads almost exactly like my kid's day care sick policy!

My company, OTOH, sent out a memo last week indicating that many of us have already used more than half of our sick time (a whopping 40 hrs) for the year and we should really be careful about how sick time is used! Naturally, my office is constantly full of sick people making others sick...

At my previous job I got the flu from a fellow employee and was out 3 days, I finally had to tell them to quit calling me at home after more than 30 phone calls. On the day I came back my boss told me that he has never been too sick to come to work and since I was in a management position I should have come in for the good of the company. Probably one of the many straws that finally broke the camel's back, Thankfully I don't work there anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to have unlimited sick time. But, we had so many projects to do, that nobody took advantage of it. If they did call in sick, most would work from home. Now, that policy is gone. We get vacation hours per month, but those include time for any time off, including being sick. My current boss is very understanding. Sometimes, when my kids are sick I am able to work from home for a few hours. I feel guilty about not going into work, especially with project deadlines approaching.

I guess people don't call in because they are trying to save their time. But, come on, if you're puking, it's time to go home. I think I'd just go home out of the embarrassment of my puking being audible.

Back