Should an engineer be an expert in one thing, or ok/good at everything?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what to agree with because he says both are useful!

Legitimate arguments for both sides, though. I would say that being the "indispensable" expert in one single thing can be a detriment, though. You need to have broad enough skills to move on to another job if you need to, and it is very uncommon, in my opinion, to find any engineer who makes "really good money" sticking with one narrow skill for one employer. You've got to move around to move up, I think.

I think it's ok to be an expert in one thing, as long as you can cover all facets of it. For example, I know some pretty good design guys who are also phenomenal field engineers. At the same time, I knew some incredibly good design guys who couldn't tell the difference between a construction site and a WalMart. Guess which guys prove more valuable (i.e, have a clue what they're talking about when an RFI comes in).

I've thought about this a lot. Where I work the people who have gone the furthest are the subject matter experts. They are very well respected and get promoted. The people who do a bit of everything well, but are the expert in nothing lag behind. I would rather be an expert in something, but you take the risk that the area you choose isn't going to be in demand 10, 15, 20 years down the road, then you'll have to start over.

I try to avoid becoming an expert in one thing because it really pigeon-holes your career. If technology changes, or that aspect of the business changes, or your company changes focus then you become more expendable than anybody else. Also, people are reluctant to give you work outside of your area of expertise, so you end up always doing the same thing which can get really boring. That being said, I like being an expert in multiple areas of the business. That way, you can be the go-to guy for several different types of work to keep things interesting and CYA in case one of your areas of expertise falls out of fashion. You are a lot less expendable that way.

I try to avoid becoming an expert in one thing because it really pigeon-holes your career. If technology changes, or that aspect of the business changes, or your company changes focus then you become more expendable than anybody else.
Yeah, you don't want to be the buggy whip lead engineer.

Most engineers are mostly experts at CYA, Blame it on the geotech, surveyor, etc...

We all know it's always the client's fault. Unless you happen to be the client, in which case, the contractor is to blame.

Just be an expert at everything and you're covered. Or everything thinks your an ass because you think you know everything.

I try to avoid becoming an expert in one thing because it really pigeon-holes your career. If technology changes, or that aspect of the business changes, or your company changes focus then you become more expendable than anybody else. Also, people are reluctant to give you work outside of your area of expertise, so you end up always doing the same thing which can get really boring.
I've had the opposite experience. I started out working in both hydrology/hydraulics & structures, but over time I gradually spent more and more effort on the H & H. As the technology changes, you just learn and keep up. One thing I reckon which helps is that it's always going to rain, so there's always going to be H & H work to do. Doing the same things over and over is never boring because each situation is unique. I've been doing this for over 20 years now and love it. It helps that I'm in business for myself.

Whether or not you get promoted through the ranks, and often ultimately to the top, seems to me to depend more upon your personality and work methods than it does your knowledge base. An engineer should pursue whatever path suits them best.

I've had the opposite experience. I started out working in both hydrology/hydraulics & structures, but over time I gradually spent more and more effort on the H & H. As the technology changes, you just learn and keep up. One thing I reckon which helps is that it's always going to rain, so there's always going to be H & H work to do. Doing the same things over and over is never boring because each situation is unique. I've been doing this for over 20 years now and love it. It helps that I'm in business for myself.
Whether or not you get promoted through the ranks, and often ultimately to the top, seems to me to depend more upon your personality and work methods than it does your knowledge base. An engineer should pursue whatever path suits them best.
That is true for things like stormwater and structural engineering. But there are some technologies that can pass you by if you aren't careful in electrical engineering. It's easy to miss the boat and become a relic if you aren't careful or flexible.

I don't consider myself an expert at anything and I think technical knowledge is only one component of success. I think it is also about working with people, which cannot be learned in a book or certified by exam. I also think that career is just one aspect of a balanced life. I am blessed to have a very busy life with a balance of family, career, love, laughter, stress, work, play, respect, and happiness. I think each of us has a unique path and that there is a reason that some of us are experts and some are not.

That is true for things like stormwater and structural engineering. But there are some technologies that can pass you by if you aren't careful in electrical engineering. It's easy to miss the boat and become a relic if you aren't careful or flexible.
Agreed. There are several engineers here in town who were caught by that, since they had specialized in residential land development exclusively. A few closed up shop because of it. So, part of the answer to the OP is that it depends upon what specialty you're talking about. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back