Shaving pounds

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considered OBESE by clinical standards.

Even had a "company physician" write a letter saying based on my height and weight that I needed to go on a calorically restrictive diet to improve my health status. it was because on an insurance policy thru work.

I sent him back a picture w/ a copy of his letter. Never heard back from him.

Currently down to 232, however my clothes are getting loose... I think I am putting on more muscle than I thought with some of my latest tasks (pulling brick edging, sledging out slabs, pulling out fencing, etc.).
-Ray
Haven't gotten below 230 yet, but I have lost a waist size and my backyard is looking larger - I'll be ordering the next 30 yard dumpster in about a week.

-Ray

I went for my 10 mile run yesterday. It took 90 minutes or so. My left knee is a little tender today but other than that I'm just kinda stiff. I gotta do a better job of running during the week. I just went out and tacked on 2 miles to last week's long run without any shorter work in between.

Regardless though, I'm feeling real confident I can tack on the remaining 3 miles I need to do to run this thing.

Today I'm getting back on the bike for the first time in 6 weeks, so I'm excited. As much as I want to jump on it and go, I figure I beter ease back into it.

I am definitely in. I am trying to drop some fat and gain some muscle. I started with the weights about 2 months ago and started with some serious cardio about 3 weeks ago.

To start

5'8"

160 by February 2008

I am now at 189

I am definitely in. I am trying to drop some fat and gain some muscle. I started with the weights about 2 months ago and started with some serious cardio about 3 weeks ago.
To start

5'8"

160 by February 2008

I am now at 189
I'm always amazed at the athletic ability of all the people who post here. Unfortunately in my case it is more like carving pounds than shaving, so I won't join in here for fear of embarrassment.

Off the subject -

GTScott- I always assumed you were an old guy. 27 years old and wheeling and dealing with all those expensive cars! Pretty impressive. You remind me of the "King of Cars" with a PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
"King of Cars" - man, that guy is a business man and a half. He pulls off the whole rockstar thing so well. He comes across as a wild guy on TV and around his place but when it is business time, he can school even some of the best out there. I greatly respect that.

As for the weight, in case anyone cares...

I am doing a plan with 4 days on and 1 day off. Day 1 and 3 are mainly legs with a little bit of arm/chest in there to break it up. I have 8 different exercises I do on my machine (leg curl, leg extension, inner thigh (day 1), outter thigh (day 3), etc.) and it takes about 35 minutes. After that, I hop on my bike that is sitting on a magnetic trainer and ride for 30 minutes with varying intensity. Day 2 and 4 are the same, but focus more on arms/chest.

I have been watching what I eat as that is the main reason I got to be as heavy as I did. I am finding that a bowl of Cheerios on a night where I had a big lunch will often fill me up. Also, Eddys has some 80 calorie popsicles that are really good. Calorieking.com has a good listing of the calories for popular things including Wendys and such.

I read that average weight loss to the tune of 5 lbs a month is reasonable so I am planning based on that. From my start though, it looks like 8-10 will be what I see for a month or two.

If there are any body builders here, I would love to be able to pick your brains. I need some insight as to some more things to work my triceps and my calves.

-GT

So how is everyone coming along with this?

I weighed myself at the gym last night. 188 :woot:

That may not sound like a big deal from my 195 two months ago, but that's down from a whopping 203 in March. :eek:hmy:

I just started playing basketball one night a week and its shaved 5 pounds off in two weeks. Now if I can only get off my ass the other 6 nights per week and do something I might be in decent shape.

My weight is the same as ever but I've been doing longer endurance work lately.

My elbow is getting better so I've been back on the bike the past week and a half. My stamina was shot, but I've worked back up to 25 miles and plan to do 30 tomorrow.

Then another painful 10 mile run on Sunday depending on how my legs feel from riding.

I just started playing basketball one night a week and its shaved 5 pounds off in two weeks. Now if I can only get off my ass the other 6 nights per week and do something I might be in decent shape.
I started playing soccer once a week back in February, and joined a gym in March. I try to go at least 2-3 times a week. I started riding my bike a lot more too.

Hmmmm, I was typing this to say that I really hadn't picked up my activity level to much, but now that I am reading this it seems I'm doing a lot more then I thought. At least it doesn't feel that way. I suppose doing anything at all is better then doing absolutely nothing, which was pretty much what I was doing before February.

I have noticed a huge difference in my fitness level just from the soccer games. Back when I started in February I thought I was going to die out there on the field. I was gasping for air after 10 minutes. My game this week I was fine and that was with the ridiculous heat we have had here lately.

The biggest plus is that I've lost weight and I haven't changed my eating (or drinking) habits at all. :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea for an update.

I am 2 months and 2 weeks (as of Sunday) into my workout plan. I am doing a 30 minute weight lifting routine 6 days on, 1 day off each week. On the same schedule I am getting my cardio from biking on my mag trainer (too hot here in Atlanta). My cardio schedule is the same 6 days on, 1 day off. Starting in July I was doing 10 minutes at a time, then went to 20 minutes later in the month. Starting on 7/23 I went to 30 minutes at a rate of about 16 mph. It proves to be a good cardio workout. Additionally, when the heat permits, I am walking my dogs about 45 minutes each night.

So that is the routine, now the results. In addition to weight loss, my muscles are really developing nicely. I am starting to see some shape in what was my flabby arms. Around the start of June, I was 198.5. On 7/5 (prior to really starting the cardio) I was 197.5. Today, I am 181! I am aiming to be high 150's low 160s.

I have some weight lifting questions for the pros here...but I will start a new thread for that.

^^^

Well shit!! Thanks GT, I was feeling all good about myself for losing 15 pounds in 6 months until I read your progress. :eek:ldman:

Ahh, I am losing it a bit too quickly based on what I hear is healthy. I went through and tried to fix about 75% of my diet as well (I still have to have a Spicy Chicken Combo a day or two a week obviously). It just so happens that everything came together and I am losing about 2.5 lbs a week. I imagine that will slow down as my body adjusts.

Losing 15 lbs, no matter what the period was, is impressive. Hey, losing 5 pounds is impressive in my book.

Ok, now this thread is going to really make me want to get into shape. At 5'9" and about 190 lbs ... I was about 15 lbs lighter last year but my wife's cooking is too damn good! And she is pregnant now loving food more than ever, so there is no shortage of good food and that is not helping my cause. Of course she looks great with the only noticeable difference being her tummy growing. I guess I can blame it on simpathy weight right? Nah, I need to go for runs or find a soccer club!!

Hmmm .. it looks like I am the only slacker here :(
JR

You're not the only one. I'm up five to 210 after a work trip to Houston followed by a client visit to Minnesota. I have never been able to do anything other than gain weight on the road. Hopefully, I'll be working closer to home for a while and can get moving in the right direction again.

Jim

Ok, now this thread is going to really make me want to get into shape. At 5'9" and about 190 lbs ... I was about 15 lbs lighter last year but my wife's cooking is too damn good! And she is pregnant now loving food more than ever, so there is no shortage of good food and that is not helping my cause. Of course she looks great with the only noticeable difference being her tummy growing. I guess I can blame it on simpathy weight right? Nah, I need to go for runs or find a soccer club!!
I am in the same boat. Except, I WISH I was at 190 lbs...

And, JR, you are not the only slacker around here..

I don't think I am slacking, just adjusting my goals.

I have an amazing amount of yard work to be done (and I have been doing it) along with a lot of concrete and masonry to demolish (by hand) and two 12 yard dumpsters to load (one for concrete/masonry and one for wood and other debris).

I am hovering between 232 and 235 - however my arms are now toned, I have dropped a waist size, and not really lost any real weight.

I feel better, generally sore, but better.

-Ray

Back