Self Reporting Work Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggercsc

I was once fast and scrappy, then lost my s's
EB Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here self report their previous experience?  I am having trouble with three past employers.  

1. One company is a large oil company that sold the division I worked for off years ago. - I am having trouble tracking down my old supervisor (he retired years ago).  I have an email address, but I am not sure it is valid (the NCEES request has not been verified).  I called the HR department and they can't find my records that I ever worked there.
  2. One company has been out of business for about 13 years.  I have an email address of a peer, but I am not sure if it is valid.  He has not responded to me directly or to the NCEES request
  3. One is a large publicly traded homebuilder and the only person there that that I worked closely with still there is the outgoing CEO.  I have his email address,  but I doubt the CEO of Fortune 500 company will give much time to answering an NCEES email if he even receives (I tried, but never got a response).  When I call, I can't get past the receptionist.  I tried an email address of an old boss that I had a dashed reporting line too, but he has not responded and I doubt will.
I have been in my current job for 13 years and I have a PE peer, who started out as my technical supervisor, who will verify my work experience for me there when I purchase the transmittal.

Does it make any difference to a state board if you self report experience if you have plenty of years of other verified experience?   

I am sure I do.  Proving that I worked there is not an issue.  Having someone verify it is the issue.

Has anyone self reported work before? Was it an issue?  I can get 17 years verified, 13 of which is at my current employer and can be verified by a PE.  Is it worth the hassle or should I just self report and be done with it?  The work verification is the last portion of my NCEES record that is not yet complete.   

I didn't read the last line in your original post, but IMO if you have enough for the PE part (whether its 4 years, 5 years, etc) I personally wouldn't worry about it.

I tried to look up contact information from state's PE license look up to no avail.  I am sure they are retired.   I am going to self report and not worry about it.   

Ya I'd list it, you did the work so I think its fair, and you have plenty of verifiable experience at your current job as it is (13 yrs would meet any requirement that I know of).  I think there are quite a few states (at least those I've looked into) where you can check a box when applying that you have been a practicing principle engineer for at least 5 of the past 7 years and then ignore all the other experience requirements as long as someone can verify this.  You should meet that requirement (again I'm not sure that all states do this, but I think many do) and then don't have to get 5-references, verify project experience, work type, etc.  

Update:  On three of my five jobs, I self three reported because:

1.   Previous Supervisor did not respond back because I had wrong contact information.
  2.   Previous Supervisor did not respond back because they did not care to respond to an NCEES email.
  3.   Company I had previously worked for could not find me in their system and could not verify I worked there.
  4.   Contacted previous employer and I could not get a live person on the telephone.  I left numerous voicemails, but never got a response back. 
In the end it did not matter because with my current employer I was able to get a PE to verify my experience the past 13+ years.

The new NCEES record system is a P.I.T.A. and it took me about 2.5 months to get all the references in, education verified, past tests verified, current license verified, past work approved by NCEES and verified, questions answered, etc.  After it was ready to transmit, I sent the the info to NCEES and them their paid my fee and applied for my Kentucky PE license by comity online.  Within a week I had my Kentucky license.  There was a lot of work up front, but easy and painless in the end.   Please note that I did not have a previous legacy record so I cannot comments on the issues of transferring that data to the new records system. 

Also , the PDH reporting system appears to be great tool.  However I will withhold final judgement until, if ever, I am audited.

Latest posts

Back