SE Lateral AM - bridge questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSE2022

Reaction score
As a building engineer, if I'm only using AEI's lectures & practice prob. to prepare for the lateral AM BRIDGE multiple-choice questions, would that be sufficient? Any other books/resources that you'd recommend to get well prepared and feel confident on the bridge questions? Thanks!

Last edited:
I just took the Lateral exam in April and I used AEI's practice problems. I also bought David Connor's "Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam: Lateral Loads. There is not a ton of resources out there for practice bridge problems at least that I could find. I thought AEI's and the book above helped make me feel pretty prepared. David's book basically walks you through each chapter and helps you get familiar with the AASHTO code. I personally did not feel like there was any insanely difficult bridge problem on the exam, IF you know where to look. So being familiar with the index in the code is super helpful. Also a good trick is in the problem statement for problems especially on say the NCEES exam you can look in the front of each chapter to find the corresponding symbol. For example if the problem is about concrete you know it will be in chapter 5 of AASHTO and look in the front of that chapter to match the corresponding symbol which will then point you to a page number. Something I figured out to help me find the right equations. Hopefully that helps. I did really really like the AEI class, I thought it prepared me VERY well for the exam. Fingers crossed that I don't have to take it again!

I just took the Lateral exam in April and I used AEI's practice problems. I also bought David Connor's "Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam: Lateral Loads. There is not a ton of resources out there for practice bridge problems at least that I could find. I thought AEI's and the book above helped make me feel pretty prepared. David's book basically walks you through each chapter and helps you get familiar with the AASHTO code. I personally did not feel like there was any insanely difficult bridge problem on the exam, IF you know where to look. So being familiar with the index in the code is super helpful. Also a good trick is in the problem statement for problems especially on say the NCEES exam you can look in the front of each chapter to find the corresponding symbol. For example if the problem is about concrete you know it will be in chapter 5 of AASHTO and look in the front of that chapter to match the corresponding symbol which will then point you to a page number. Something I figured out to help me find the right equations. Hopefully that helps. I did really really like the AEI class, I thought it prepared me VERY well for the exam. Fingers crossed that I don't have to take it again!
Thanks much!

Back