SE Exam Scoring Workshop

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lukus. I didn't think they would drop that much. I figured they would try to bring it back down but didn't think it would be quite that low. Probably going to kick myself for not taking it in the spring. 

I actually had an easier time with April's Lateral Bridge than October Vertical Bridge.  The vertical AM has a lot of structural analysis and the Vertical PM is so broad, it really covers a lot of ground.    Any other bridge takers that can weigh in?

Thanks Lukus. I didn't think they would drop that much. I figured they would try to bring it back down but didn't think it would be quite that low. Probably going to kick myself for not taking it in the spring. 
Those Building LF pass rates were definitely down!  It must've been hard.

Afternoon went fine for me but man the morning was rough, especially the bridge stuff. If I have to have another go at it, I'll definitely hit the bridge items much harder. 

Did you say you had David Connor's book?  If not then you should definitely get it.  I am a bridge guy and that's all that I used on the morning Lateral. 

Did you say you had David Connor's book?  If not then you should definitely get it.  I am a bridge guy and that's all that I used on the morning Lateral. 
I did not. I actually didn't find this site until after the exam. 

A number of the PPI SE course takers have reported in to me (all passes so far). Many said that they were sure they failed but had happy surprises. Almost all said that they felt this years lateral exam was harder than the PPI and NCEES sample exams.

Hello everyone,

Today I got my score back from NCEES. I failed the building vertical section, this is my second try so I know my chances went way down.

For the morning exam I got 53%, and I think I needed about 75% to pass. My weakest area was wood, analysis of structures: methods (what does this even mean?), and foundations/retaining structures.

For the afternoon section I scored:

Concrete - Acceptable
Wood - Improvement Required
Masonry - Unacceptable
Steel - Acceptable

OCT 2016 SE Exam Results.png

Hello everyone,

Today I got my score back from NCEES. I failed the building vertical section, this is my second try so I know my chances went way down.

For the morning exam I got 53%, and I think I needed about 75% to pass. My weakest area was wood, analysis of structures: methods (what does this even mean?), and foundations/retaining structures.

For the afternoon section I scored:

Concrete - Acceptable
Wood - Improvement Required
Masonry - Unacceptable
Steel - Acceptable
Based on failing scores people have reported in the past I’ve made the following conclusions (I made a bigger post earlier this year discussing this on EB).

• You need approximately 28-30 on the morning.
  • If you have a good morning score then you likely need two "acceptable" and two "improvement required" scores for buildings.
  • If you have a less than 30 morning score then you likely need three "acceptable" and one "improvement required" for buildings.
  • As best I can tell, if you get an unacceptable on any of the afternoon problems then you will not pass. Perhaps if you have a near perfect morning score then you may pass but this would be hard to determine based on limited information.
Based on what I've heard from people thinking they got only 25 or so correct I think a 28 is a reasonable assumption needed to pass this exam. Regardless though I believe that unacceptable killed your chance this time around. Looks like you're almost there though; just a good study push and third try might be the one. Definitely want to get that wood score up.

According to NCEES; Analysis of Structures:

Methods:

1. Computer-generated structural analysis techniques (e.g., modeling, interpreting, and verifying results)

2.  Simplified analysis methods (e.g., influence lines, portal frame method/cantilever method)

This was the first,and thankfully last, time I took building LF and it was very difficult, much harder than the practice problems I studied and much much harder than the building VF I took in the spring.

What were your morning and afternoon scores?
I got 22/40 on the AM and two acceptable and two improvement required in the afternoon.  This was my first time taking both tests and I think having just one left to concentrate on will help since I won't have to divide my study time between the two.  My biggest takeaway is I need to spend more time with the AASHTO manual and the Steel Seismic Design Manual.  I bought David Connor's book last night to help with the bridge portion on the AM.  

I got 22/40 on the AM and two acceptable and two improvement required in the afternoon.  This was my first time taking both tests and I think having just one left to concentrate on will help since I won't have to divide my study time between the two.  My biggest takeaway is I need to spend more time with the AASHTO manual and the Steel Seismic Design Manual.  I bought David Connor's book last night to help with the bridge portion on the AM.  
I'm in the same exact boat.....just ordered Mr Connor's book too.  Looking forward to studying with it!

I'm in the same exact boat.....just ordered Mr Connor's book too.  Looking forward to studying with it!
What was your morning score? I'm trying to see what was the highest morning failing score. So far it is 22.

So the SE Board for the Illinois Licensure will not meet until January 11th.  NCEES has sent Illinois the scores for the board to approve and allow NCEES to  post the scores.  In April the meeting was ~ 8 weeks after the exam and scores were posted the following day.  Looks like there may be a long wait .....

So the SE Board for the Illinois Licensure will not meet until January 11th.  NCEES has sent Illinois the scores for the board to approve and allow NCEES to  post the scores.  In April the meeting was ~ 8 weeks after the exam and scores were posted the following day.  Looks like there may be a long wait .....
Hopefully that's not true. It's been tough waiting a couple days longer than other states, can't imagine waiting that much longer. 

Back