SCREAMING like a woman V2.0

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So @MadamPirate PE asked why I spent over 2 hours talking to HR yesterday. It was because our office specifically scores poorly with women on the best places to work survey. So 4 of us had a meeting with HR and the regional VP to discuss the issues they saw on the survey, our grievances, and changes we'd like to see.

Well, that is nice that they are making an effort, I guess?
yeah we'll see. we covered a lot of topics.
and i definitely sent a jab at them for covering up harassment in the past (the person recently left)
and definitely said "group of white dudes" to HR who used the phrase back. but all of our upper level management is men. and it's like have some women since our WFH/COVID **** definitely was set by men who has SAH wives or money for a nanny

So @MadamPirate PE asked why I spent over 2 hours talking to HR yesterday. It was because our office specifically scores poorly with women on the best places to work survey. So 4 of us had a meeting with HR and the regional VP to discuss the issues they saw on the survey, our grievances, and changes we'd like to see.
Oh, eff that ish.

I hate that stupid survey, they climb all over us to answer it.

Oh, eff that ish.

I hate that stupid survey, they climb all over us to answer it.
yeah same, our old CEO would say "we don't want to be like google" (since we're EO and they're not).
Except google has an actual parental leave policy so even tho i'm childfree, i want my coworkers to have a better option (ours is: burn thru your accrued PTO then hit short term disability until that totals 6 weeks. and then 6 weeks unpaid FMLA)

yeah we'll see. we covered a lot of topics.
and i definitely sent a jab at them for covering up harassment in the past (the person recently left)
and definitely said "group of white dudes" to HR who used the phrase back. but all of our upper level management is men. and it's like have some women since our WFH/COVID **** definitely was set by men who has SAH wives or money for a nanny
Oh ****. Yeah, I'm lucky in that my office director/office VP is/was a woman, (until she left to be the company president), so I feel like I have always been supported in that regard? Like she knows that we have a life outside of the office. We have even had conversations about how when she had her first kid she hated where she worked, and almost quit to be a SAHM, but just decided to quit and find a new job, so she def gets the work life balance thing, and has flat out said if you have to stay home right now to care for kids, elderly, whatever, do it. They trust us to get our stuff done, even if it is from noon-8 rather than 8-5.

Hahahahahaha, I love getting yelled at by my chief this morning because I foolishly applied for a GS-12 position, and now they have some really good candidates, and how dare I apply and be a valid candidate, they were working on getting my position changed from a GS-11 to a GS-12 (without telling me), and my response of 'I'm getting fucked over' didn't ring well, because how dare I not trust them when they say something like this is happening really soon (which is never true in government) and thus I miss out on getting a GS-12 position again because I trust you. How dare I be, in your words, 'paranoid', because I've had something similar to me happen at my other jobs because I didn't stand up for myself. How dare I try to get a position that actually encompasses what I'm currently doing, instead of getting scolded for not doing the water engineer work I actually want to do, but can't do, because you keep making me do the GS-12 general engineer project work (you know, the job I applied to that now you're angry about, even though you told me to apply to it when it was reposted). I love being accused of only thinking of money/my compensation when I've already been fucked over once on time in grade.

This Monday is. Just. Great.

With the way this is going, I'm at the point of saying **** it to buying a house and immediately leaving Indianapolis once my contract period is over. This is the second time I've been fucked over for the GS-12 position and, wildly, for some reason, I don't want to really stay at a location/with an agency that is pretty much forcing me to do other people's work and then getting angry when I'm not able to do the work I'm contracted to do.

Last edited:
So wait, they are mad that you applied for the job that they told you to apply for, because they are supposedly getting your position adjusted to a 12, which (1) they didn't tell you they were doing, and (2) is potentially a long shot? WTH are they smoking there? So they are going to just not select you for the 21, out of spite... or what?

^^That's pretty much what I got out of the conversation, and I am sure chief started yelling because I called him on that bullshit (he was like, 'what's going to change if this doesn't happen in 3 months' and I'm like...if it won't happen in 3 months that def means that it's not going to happen and I'll have given up an opportunity for a GS-12). This is the second time they've been like 'you'll def get this' and now I'm like. I'm kinda done with this place. I'm happy, though, because the other supervisors in the shops I talked to agree that I'm being fucked over while I'm one of the few people in this building that is actually doing some work. To me, there is a difference between the government screwing me over (which fine, I totally get that) and my supervisors going out of their way to screw me over by framing it as me ruining their hiring. I just love how they waited to tell me this the week I have my second interview.

I just...

Vhab, let me know how often your hubs gets open positions in work similar to his. I'd much rather travel a ton for work, and be left alone to get stuff done, then get yelled at for not being able to do my work because I'm doing the other work that they keep pushing on my plate.

Yeah, my plan is to ride out this next year. Because I don't want to pay them anything when I leave, but this bullshit isn't good for me long-term. I'd much rather take a pay cut and actually do real engineering work than bastardized project management.

I hate these things as well. Is that the branch of USACE your hubs is with? I'm hoping I can get in with them (I should have just taken that Sacramento position that was offered last year, and I foolishly didn't because I assumed I would get the GS-12 here. I'm now beating myself over that).

Ugh, JayKay! UGH! I don't know a lot about the particulars of the way the government hires for positions, but I think, if I'm remembering correctly, you should have been a GS-12 all the time you've been in Indy, right? And this is thus the second time they're screwing you?

SO NOT COOL!

Maybe riding out this year (so you don't owe them anything) is a good way to go. I mean, I think it's kind of been a plan that you've had for a while, right?

Maybe riding out this year (so you don't owe them anything) is a good way to go. I mean, I think it's kind of been a plan that you've had for a while, right?
Yeah. My contract ends in 10/2022, so if I stay until then I can leave without owing them anything. It just means I might not go through with purchasing a house (since I'd be in it less than 2 years, and I don't feel like selling at a loss). I mean, they've already shown they're okay with screwing me over because I'm trying to get the same thing as everyone else in the office. Supposedly I'm 'making more money', but everyone got the new pay table...so it's not like I'm getting anything super different? I just think it's super sus that I've been a GS-11 this whole time and SUDDENLY they can so EASILY convert my position to a GS-12 once I show I followed through and applied for the GS-12. I mean, they also cancelled/reposted the GS-12 supervisory position because I think I was the only one who applied.

I...really don't want to stay, even if I do somehow miraculously get this GS-12 that they've 'put in the pipeline' for me. Like. The money is super nice for the COL, but there really is no upward mobility and the way they're treating me (yet no one else is getting screamed at by the chief). They seem to be okay hiring a bunch of new engineers, so if I leave they shouldn't have too much difficulty.

TBH I'd just nope out of there now. Like I understand that you don't want to owe them. But your mental health matters more. And sticking around for about 20mo or so is just nonsense.

Come move to Maine and hang out with Moo.

Technically we have a 3rd bedroom. You can be the attic goblin

Sidenote.
I hate the effing time delay between posting. It'll **** up the SPAM thread.
It also applies to messaging btw.

TBH I'd just nope out of there now. Like I understand that you don't want to owe them. But your mental health matters more. And sticking around for about 20mo or so is just nonsense.
It's not my mental health that is suffering, I've dealt with a ton more stress than this, it's just me souring to the whole building (aka: I'm doing other people's work, which isn't a biggie, except that person is being paid the highest rate and isn't going to be retiring anytime soon). I just know that my NY attitude is going to come out more and more and I'm going to start being even more belligerent about my job and position. Either let me apply/get the GS-12 general engineer position, or take the projects away and make me do GS-11 water engineer stuff. You can't have it both ways, by trying to force me to do both jobs.

I would love to be your creepy attic goblin. Maybe Moo will let me pet her once in a while.

...And I fucking hate that the new forum makes us wait a minute in between posting. Like. WHHHHHY.

It's not my mental health that is suffering, I've dealt with a ton more stress than this, it's just me souring to the whole building (aka: I'm doing other people's work, which isn't a biggie, except that person is being paid the highest rate and isn't going to be retiring anytime soon). I just know that my NY attitude is going to come out more and more and I'm going to start being even more belligerent about my job and position. Either let me apply/get the GS-12 general engineer position, or take the projects away and make me do GS-11 water engineer stuff. You can't have it both ways, by trying to force me to do both jobs.
Yeah that's def not good since it'll hurt your reputation and use of them as a reference.

I would love to be your creepy attic goblin. Maybe Moo will let me pet her once in a while.
She would let you pet her always
...And I fucking hate that the new forum makes us wait a minute in between posting. Like. WHHHHHY.
It's like 2.5min plus for PMs. So trying to send out the roles this morning was annoying.

Back