Salary by Discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a job in New Orleans at a huge firm for $90,000 per year. I also still run my small civil/survey co. and make about 70,000 per year there. So, I guess I make more than before, but damn sure work harder.
total now = $160,000 gross

Not a conflict of interest? New firm doesnt mind?

BA - Environmental Sciences (Concentration - Hydrology) - 1998MS - Environmental and Water Resources Engineering - 2004

EIT - 2005

PE - 2007

Professional Hydrologist (PH) - 2007

2 years - Project Hydrologist - DC Area - 30K

1 year - Construction Project Management - DC Area - 55K

3 years - Graduate Research Assistant - Austin, TX - 20K + Tuition and Insurance

4 years - Civil/Environmental Consulting Engineering - Baltimore - Started @ $28/hour now make $38/hour w/ straight time OT = roughly 85K + $1500 Christmas Bonus = total 2007 earnings 87K

Each job had comprable benefits e.g. 401k w/ match, health, life, disability etc

That is always a big topic..... non-engineering undergrad, becoming EIT & PE.

Good job though with all of the education and certifications.... and the salary too. I'm working on my M.E. right now, and should be finishing it up right around the time I would be eligible for the PE exam.

Not a conflict of interest? New firm doesnt mind?

Nope. That was the first thing I asked corporate when they called. I told them that if it was a problem then take my name off the list.

They are a top 3 Civil Engineering firm in the US. I have 1 survey crew and do about 6-10 hrs of platting/review a week, normally on the weekends.

I wouldn't have a prayer of getting the jobs this firm goes after anyway. What little engineering I do is subdivisions/drainage/site plans. My new job doesn't do that work. They do huge government jobs in the million dollar plus range.

Nope. That was the first thing I asked corporate when they called. I told them that if it was a problem then take my name off the list.
They are a top 3 Civil Engineering firm in the US. I have 1 survey crew and do about 6-10 hrs of platting/review a week, normally on the weekends.

I wouldn't have a prayer of getting the jobs this firm goes after anyway. What little engineering I do is subdivisions/drainage/site plans. My new job doesn't do that work. They do huge government jobs in the million dollar plus range.
That's good. I guess it all works out well for you in the end. I'm sure you stay busy.

I had a supervisor that said he used to do the same thing earlier on in his career.... surveying and that sort of thing outside of his normal gov't job. He's pretty much set now.

Hmmm.... let's see.... top design firms I see here on the top 500 list are.... URS, Jacobs, Aecom, Fluor, CH2M, Bechtel, Parsons, etc....

That is always a big topic..... non-engineering undergrad, becoming EIT & PE. Good job though with all of the education and certifications.... and the salary too. I'm working on my M.E. right now, and should be finishing it up right around the time I would be eligible for the PE exam.

Best decision I could've made...stick with it and get the PE....You can play the engineer card or you can play the scientist card - depending on the situation...

Mech Engineer, EIT waiting on PE results.

Experience- 8 years

Salary- 80,000

I guess its true what I read in the skymall magazine- 'In life you dont get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate'. :)

got my BSEE a while ago...

worked contracting mostly, until 4 years ago...made ~100k when I left...

took a job with a small local consulting firm (~35 people) for 55k, was sick of travel...

FE & PE in 2006/7 (never needed it before)

became a partner last year...made ~90k base and ~15k in profit...

work a leisurely 40 (or less) 5 minutes from home...

they gave me 20% of the company out right for nothing, gifted...only 3 PE's me, a guy 80 years old, another >65...

I recently made a proposal to a guy who drills gas wells, he sold his company to Chesapeake Energy for a reported 75 mil...

he and I are going to build a facility (maybe a few) to treat a drilling by-product...we expect to gross 200k/month, net >175k per facility...

he gave me 25% for doing all the engineering/permitting/construction...he's supplying all the cash, ~1.5-2 mil...

my wife says I hit the lottery, except I have control over the outcome...I recently formed my own llc, and informed my partners at the firm of such...take it or leave it...they don't have much choice...I never gave a damn about money or corporate climbing...it just seemed to all come together...

me I don't care still, I'm doing for her...and the damnest thing? she doesn't care either, the most down to earth person I know ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Me:

BSCE 2002

PE 2006

Work as Structural Engineer for Design Build firm in Wisconsin, 6 yrs experience

50k Plus bonus

Received 1500 raise for PE and 3% raise (gimme a break!)

Took SE1 in April

Husband:

BSCE 2002

PE 2006

Division manager for construction company

115k/yr

Hopefully I can retire at 30....

BAE 2002

EIT 2002

PE 2008!!!

5 years exp. at a Consulting Structural Design Firm in NYC

Currently at $65K + OT + bonus ($5K last year), 401K, great benefits. Salary is a bit low for the area.

Will re-post when I find out what that PE is worth...

BS Mechanical 2002

MBA 2006

PE 2008

First 5 years at power plant, now T&D

Eastern Nebraska

PM Engineer

~ $75k

I just accepted a new job at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL and wanted to update the stats in case anyone was still using these.

Reliability Engineer--5 years of work

BS Chemical Engineer, 2002

MBA, 2006

PE, 2007

$84k, plus federal government benefits.

Reliability Engineer with 4 years of work (only 1 year at current job.)
BS Chemical Engineer 2002

MBA 2006

EIT, no PE (yet :D ).

$79k plus government benefits. (GS13 at Fort Knox.)

Speaking of salary, when I was hired here at my new job I was promised a 6-month salary review with what I hope is a mid-year raise. Thats coming up in about 3 weeks. From what Ive been told the full blown annual raise was this year (~4%) Im not holding my breath for anything spectacular but a couple more bucks in my pocket sure wouldnt hurt.

The company is making money so fast we cant even see straight at this point so Im expecting our annual bonus to be through the roof. The problem is I came aboard exactly halfway through the fiscal year and will only get a half bonus. From my rough calculations a half bonus here is still more then the bonus I got at my last position.

Speaking of salary, when I was hired here at my new job I was promised a 6-month salary review with what I hope is a mid-year raise. Thats coming up in about 3 weeks. From what Ive been told the full blown annual raise was this year (~4%) Im not holding my breath for anything spectacular but a couple more bucks in my pocket sure wouldnt hurt.
The company is making money so fast we cant even see straight at this point so Im expecting our annual bonus to be through the roof. The problem is I came aboard exactly halfway through the fiscal year and will only get a half bonus. From my rough calculations a half bonus here is still more then the bonus I got at my last position.
No annual bonus where I work. :eek:/

I don't crunch numbers (although I deal with a lot of P and F numbers!), will never take the EIT or PE, and have no desire to, (nor do I deserve) to call myself a PE...
Never say never ... I was talking like that when I was in your position, too, 18 years ago. Things change, people move on, companies change.... Regardless, since this is the "salary" thread, getting your PE can usually add to that, even if you don't "use it."

If I were you, I'd hedge my bets and go ahead and take the EIT now, while the material is still fresh. You'll probably thank yourself later. (the corollary is that you'll very likely kick yourself later if you don't.) Many people feel that taking the FE (aka EIT) several years out of college is harder than the PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back