Salary by Discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brick,How are you getting a BSME and MCE (Masters in Civil, I assume) at the same time, May '09? The reason I ask is I have considered going back to school for my Master's but since my undergrad is a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology, I have been told that I'd be better off to get my BS in Engineering and then a Master's.
I went back to school (part time) to take Junior and Senior year Mechanical Engineering courses. I am working through NC State's Engineering Online program for my Masters. The program is really slick, but you must have someone from your office act as a proctor (I use our HR department head). In regards to the BS in Engineering, when I was completing my first undergrad I substituted all the tech maths and sciences with the engineering classes (Purdue's Fort Wayne campus did not offer a Civil program at the time). This allowed me to jump right into the Mechanical specific classes.

I'll add mine to the bunch.

BSCE '99

MSCE '01

Just passed the PE in Colorado and work as a structural in the Power field. We do emissions and new generation work usually on cost plus or lump sum EPC contracts. Average job is around $1B.

Current pay, $85k.

I'll play...

BSCE 99

A/E Consultant since 06/99

Progect Manager/Engineer

I'll get a 1000 bonus for passing the PE...should also get ~250/month pay increase in a couple months.

I'd would rather stay anonymous since anyone who knows me could identify me from my normal screen name. hence, the accidentally mispelled "anon" screen name!

here's my info:

-AE '03 grad

-started at $50k (as an EE with large consulting firm in A/E industry)

-after 3 years was making $56k

-moved to smaller firm for $50k (but with better projects)

-after 2 years was making $55k

-now that I have my PE and more experience, I'm moving to a larger firm and will be making $68k

B.S. Mech

M.S. Mech

P.E. Mech

CCM Certified Construction Manager

15 years of experience

113,000 yr.

What the heck. Here's my info:

B.S.-non-engineering '97

M.S. Env. Engineering '02

EIT-'03

PE-'07

9.5 years experience

I worked in the metals industry for 7 years and left it making 50-55K. Here's a hint. Don't stick around long in an industry that measures its losses in "X million dollars per day". Of course, as soon as I left everything turned around.

I work in the chemical industry now making 65-75K.

I've worked in industry for all but about a year of my career. That year was in consulting. The money potential is definitely there, but the hours are brutal and the office politics are rotten. It's not worth it. Industry does have its drawbacks, but I still stand behind my comment that the worst day in industry is better than the best day consulting.

Last edited:
Here is my info:

BSME - 2002 (UF)

EIT - 2006

PE - 2007

Small & busy Consulting firm

5.25 years experience

Location Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

Pay - 80-85k

We do MEP design for commercial buildings (lot of healthcare) and my title is Project Engineer

Inflation was at 4.1% in 2007. Will your raises keep pace?
I've looked into the inflation issue and I found that the true inflation rate was actually 11% for 2007. Consider the impact of the cost of gasoline alone and you can see the gubbermint is engaging in smoke and mirrors. The gubmint officially feeds us feel good stats to keep us happy and spending. If you look at the way they do the Consumer Price Index, it is based on a series of commodities like beef, milk, etc. If the beef price goes up, then chicken is substituted, to make it seem less than it really is.

Good luck to us all in getting raises to keep up with inflation.

Wages in the engineering and tech fields have been flat over the last five years. Wages across the board have decreased by 2% over the last 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
BSEE 12/2000

EIT 10/2000

PE 04/2008 Wish me luck!

7 years Experience

St. Louis, MO

I work in a 30 person MEP consulting engineering firm dealing mostly with commercial buildings. Currently making around $56k. I will check back in when I get my PE this April.

Since I just changed jobs Ill update my stats:

year, registration, company, discipline of work, start salary, end salary

2005, No EIT, State government, Environmental, Start Salary: $30,000, End Salary: $30,000

2006-2008, EIT in 2007, Consulting, Environmental, Start Salary: $40,000, End Salary: $51,000

2008, EIT, Power industry, Chemical/Mechanical, Start salary: $60,000 (bonus potential 10-15%), End Salary: Ongoing

In the span of my professional work (September 2005 through March 2008) Ive managed to more then double my salary. Of course my starting salary right out of school was pathetically low, but if that trend continues.....HEY!!! (best Disco Stu impression).

Updated Stats

BS Chemical Eng - 2001

EIT 2001

MS Environmental Eng-2005

PE - 2006

Total Comp - $84K

Midsize environmental consulting co.

Since I just changed jobs Ill update my stats:
year, registration, company, discipline of work, start salary, end salary

2005, No EIT, State government, Environmental, Start Salary: $30,000, End Salary: $30,000

2006-2008, EIT in 2007, Consulting, Environmental, Start Salary: $40,000, End Salary: $51,000

2008, EIT, Power industry, Chemical/Mechanical, Start salary: $60,000 (bonus potential 10-15%), End Salary: Ongoing

In the span of my professional work (September 2005 through March 2008) Ive managed to more then double my salary. Of course my starting salary right out of school was pathetically low, but if that trend continues.....HEY!!! (best Disco Stu impression).
Same thing happened to me in state gov. Started in 2003 at a pitiful salary which has more than doubled due to pay parity raises.

I think the salary for power related engineers is going to grow, because of supply and demand. So many of them are retiring. Out here in CA a typical plant engineer makes around $100K, which is annoying to them because operators on shift working OT make more sometimes, but I knw that with specialized knowlege of some of the new technologies some plant engineers are making $150K. Of course, I'm a gov't regulator of power plants, so I'm not going to make that. I don't know about design engineers at places like B&W or Bechtel, but I imagine some of them make really good money.

60K in Kentucky is equivalent to something like 95K in Los Angeles. So you're on your way!

Of course, all of this is probably true of any industry.

I finally got my raise and promotion to Senior engineer after passing the Oct. 2007 PE exam, so I guess I'll chime in too.

5 years experience at a utility company in Houston, TX.

EIT - 2003

BSEE - 2003

PE - 2007

Here's how my salary has changed over the years:

2003 Associate Engineer - $52,500 + $0 bonus = $52,500

2004 Engineer - $58,500 + $3,400 bonus = $61,900

2005 Engineer - $62,500 + $4000 bonus = $66,500

2006 Engineer - $65,000 + $5100 bonus = $70,100

2007 Engineer - $72,000 + $5,500 bonus = $77,500

2008 Senior Engineer - $80,000 + $7,400 bonus = $87,400

Last edited:
BSME 2003

MS, Management 2007

MS, Engineering Science expected 2010

Working since a week after graduation in 2003, so coming up on 5 years in May.

No EIT or PE (the employer doesn't give a damn and won't care much when I do get them - yay, industry exemption!).

Live in CT.

Started in the low $50s, currently in the low $60s.

No bonus, no profit sharing. Pension, decent medical benefits, very nice educational benefit. I work for a division of a Fortune 100 company doing R&D and product support.

I was promised a promotion last year when I got my master's, and it didn't pan out. Won't be happening this year either, thanks to my manager throwing me under the bus on a failed technical project. I am NOT pleased, especially since a coworker in my group has the same bachelor's degree, the same work experience, and no master's degree, and he was hired at the next level higher than me (they had to offer more money to lure him away from his last employer). I know that's how it is everywhere - people who change jobs now and then will always make more than the long-time employees.

I know that's how it is everywhere - people who change jobs now and then will always make more than the long-time employees.
I consider myself lucky in this regard. I have been at the same place since graduation and I am probably only off 5%,maybe 10%. The pluses of the jobs outweigh any increase I could realize by switching. I was getting dicked around for a while, but started speaking my mind and they really came through.

BA - Environmental Sciences (Concentration - Hydrology) - 1998

MS - Environmental and Water Resources Engineering - 2004

EIT - 2005

PE - 2007

Professional Hydrologist (PH) - 2007

2 years - Project Hydrologist - DC Area - 30K

1 year - Construction Project Management - DC Area - 55K

3 years - Graduate Research Assistant - Austin, TX - 20K + Tuition and Insurance

4 years - Civil/Environmental Consulting Engineering - Baltimore - Started @ $28/hour now make $38/hour w/ straight time OT = roughly 85K + $1500 Christmas Bonus = total 2007 earnings 87K

Each job had comprable benefits e.g. 401k w/ match, health, life, disability etc

My business slowed down along with everyone else's around here, so I layed off 2/3 of my workforce. I took a job in New Orleans at a huge firm for $90,000 per year. I also still run my small civil/survey co. and make about 70,000 per year there. So, I guess I make more than before, but damn sure work harder.

total now = $160,000 gross

Back