Repeat Takers Strategies - Civil PE CBT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All,

Here is the PE STUDY GROUP SPREADSHEET

I created a google doc to collect all the information we've discussed. If you are interested in being a part of the group, please fill it out. Let me know if you run into any issues using it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rEgDU5dzq7ANIE7M5WiDy9mMuN_gv_VSyZykahNBrt4/edit?usp=sharing

We had 7 people respond to the survey so far. It looks like weekends are best. We can set up a time for next Sunday to have our initial call. We can discuss next steps and how we think we can help each other out. A majority of respondents are planning to take the test around April so I assume studying will likely commence in January. Thoughts?

Guys, wanna wish everyone good luck. If anyone has questions on the AM and Geotech PM, pls shoot me an email on [email protected]. i will be more than happy to go over topics that you find difficult. Can share exam tips as well.
Thanks so much Gooner! Very nice of you. I’m assuming you passed if so congrats!

We had 7 people respond to the survey so far. It looks like weekends are best. We can set up a time for next Sunday to have our initial call. We can discuss next steps and how we think we can help each other out. A majority of respondents are planning to take the test around April so I assume studying will likely commence in January. Thoughts?
Thanks Rod! Next Sunday is perfect for me!

You're welcome. Yes, passed the Oct 2021 Civil Geotech on the first attempt. If anyone needs help with geotech questions in the AM/PM or other topics in general, you can count me in.
Working with basic Geo concepts at work I'm curious what's the best reference material for understanding the concept questions in the PM section.
Took School of PE which did great with the morning. The afternoon was 70% conceptual. A couple problems were like which method would you use, and I selected the only one we talked about in class.
Any suggested reading or how to study and retain them for 4 months before the next exam. Looking through the Civil 2022 book provided I'm curious if it all has to be known.
Any tips!!!

Working with basic Geo concepts at work I'm curious what's the best reference material for understanding the concept questions in the PM section.
Took School of PE which did great with the morning. The afternoon was 70% conceptual. A couple problems were like which method would you use, and I selected the only one we talked about in class.
Any suggested reading or how to study and retain them for 4 months before the next exam. Looking through the Civil 2022 book provided I'm curious if it all has to be known.
Any tips!!!
I would highly recommend to understand the soil mechanics chapters in great detail esp soil classification, index properties and phase diagram, compaction, permeability consolidation, soil stresses and stress increase, strength testing. This will help you understand foundation and excavation support design better. Donald Coduto's book is a great reference for those chapters. Braja Das is a great reference for Foundation and Excavation Support Design. NAVFAC DM 7 is another great reference. And ofcourse great YouTube lectures. Hope this helps. Good Luck, You Got This!

I would highly recommend to understand the soil mechanics chapters in great detail esp soil classification, index properties and phase diagram, compaction, permeability consolidation, soil stresses and stress increase, strength testing. This will help you understand foundation and excavation support design better. Donald Coduto's book is a great reference for those chapters. Braja Das is a great reference for Foundation and Excavation Support Design. NAVFAC DM 7 is another great reference. And ofcourse great YouTube lectures. Hope this helps. Good Luck, You Got This!
Geotech fail here !!
Is the Codutobook you are referring Principles and practice ? which one is Das book - principles of geotechnical engineering or foundation?

What practice exams do you recommend for pm? I have ncees from October 2021. I took school of pe but felt it was inadequate for the pm.

I did practice exams from Goswami, School of PE, Michael Lindeburg, 6 minute Solutions by Bruce A Wolle, and NCEES. These practice problems are great for confidence build up but as you may have already figured, most of the questions are conceptual types. So i would highly recommend to focus on that first before doing practice problems. Maybe try to find conceptual type questions online after you review each chapter. I felt like there were some questions on the PM as well that could be solved using equations of statics; for ex: weight of water column in a cofferdam is known, uplift can be computed with the simple flow net given, what is fos against uplift? Just a simple ratio of weight over uplift force would solve it. My point being: dont get distracted with several variables on the problem, dont assume they are trying to confuse you, just do your best to find out if there are any engineering tools you've learned over the years that would solve the problem. I think if you nail down chapters 1 to 8 from soil mechanics (300 level undergraduate), you will easily get more than 1/3 of the questions right and you may even end up not using any reference to solve those problems.

Good Luck.

I did practice exams from Goswami, School of PE, Michael Lindeburg, 6 minute Solutions by Bruce A Wolle, and NCEES. These practice problems are great for confidence build up but as you may have already figured, most of the questions are conceptual types. So i would highly recommend to focus on that first before doing practice problems. Maybe try to find conceptual type questions online after you review each chapter. I felt like there were some questions on the PM as well that could be solved using equations of statics; for ex: weight of water column in a cofferdam is known, uplift can be computed with the simple flow net given, what is fos against uplift? Just a simple ratio of weight over uplift force would solve it. My point being: dont get distracted with several variables on the problem, dont assume they are trying to confuse you, just do your best to find out if there are any engineering tools you've learned over the years that would solve the problem. I think if you nail down chapters 1 to 8 from soil mechanics (300 level undergraduate), you will easily get more than 1/3 of the questions right and you may even end up not using any reference to solve those problems.

Good Luck.
Thank you! I agree with you. Those problems I knew how to solve, I didn’t use any references. It was a few sections that I had not enough familiarity that send me looking rounds in the references and I am fairly sure I got them all wrong.

Das - Principles of Geotechnical Engineering is a great Geotech reference. Happened to have the book from college. I think it does a pretty good job explaining (simply) the concepts and contains some good examples. I don't recall really using it on the exam but I did have it with me. I took the Construction Exam.

Side note - if anyone taking the Construction Exam needs help feel free to DM me questions and I'll do my best. I'm by no means an expert but doing my best to pay it forward the best I can.

Came across another curve ball. The testing center closest to me is nearly full for the year with booked appointments. If you haven’t booked your test date yet you should probably decide quickly. I was shooting for May but it is full along with June, July. Only 2 days were available in April so I got lucky to get in there. Good luck!

Back