References for the Construction Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to bring up a topic here that's been hashed over in this thread, and others. But I'm struggling a bit to get a grasp on what people are saying. The opinions of test takers vary so much on this topic....I don't know what to do. I'm interested in what references should be brought to the PE exam for the CONSTRUCTION module. I've read this entire thread many times, along with the good thread on advice for CONSTRUCTION PE test under the "PE Exam Results" tab. Among many other threads.

Where I'm at a loss is the opinions vary so much on what to bring. A lot of people list a huge list of references including everything the NCEES lists among others. Some say they went in with the CERM, OSHA 1926 and a few solved problems and had no issues. Big difference of opinions! I know everyone is different and that's fine.

What I have now and have been studying from:

1) CERM

2) All-in-One Goswami book

3) Ruwan Rajapakse books (one with problems, and one regular book).

4) OSHA 1926

5) School of PE binder/notes

6) 6 Minute Soln's for Geo, Transpo, and Waters

7) Lindeburg Sample Exam & NCEES Sample Exam

8) MUTCD

I know I have more than enough material to cover the morning test, that's not my concern. I'm concerned if I have enough for the afternoon construction portion. I'm missing multiple ones off the NCEES list obviously. But a lot of that material is reprinted in the CERM or Ruwan books (Formwork pressure, etc). I have mixed feelings, I'm not being cheap...I'll gladly buy more references if I need. But I don't know if I'll get thru them in detail prior to the exam, so I don't see the benefit in lugging in multiple references that I'm unfamiliar with. On the other hand, if I need them to pass.....I will get them in a heartbeat.

I know opinions on this will vary and that's fine. I know it's also been hashed thru some already, but any insight would be much appreciated.

The references I used to study for my PE in April 2011 (Construction) were:

- CERM

- Goswami

- OSHA

- ASCE 37/02

- ACI 347 (forms)

- NCEES sample exams and 6 minute excercises

- MUTCD (just part 6)

I think that CERM alone would have not been sufficient, I am glad I reviewed both books. Goswami can be useful in combination with CERM as it presents equations in a simplified way. I checked all of the above references in great depth while I was studying, and it was certainly helpful.

Preparation:

I reviewed all exercises that are part of the original CERM book. I worked on the PPE 6 minute morning exercises (geo, structures, transpo and hydro) as well. I also solved the NCEES 2011, 2008, and 2001 sample exams. I also reviewed the Rajapakse book, but even tough I had it tagged, it was not very helpful as it does not have an index. However, solving some of the excercises on that book was helpful.

My advice is to focus on the material you can review. I had other references that I had not checked in detail and they were basically just weight in my bag. Also work on exercises as much as you can. I had Lindenburg Sample Examination and Practice Problems, but I had no time to do them. I think it would have been good if I would have checked them as well.

Now the waiting game has started, I hope I passed the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
The references I used to study for my PE in April 2011 (Construction) were:
- CERM

- Goswami

- OSHA

- ASCE 37/02

- ACI 347 (forms)

- NCEES sample exams and 6 minute excercises

- MUTCD (just part 6)

I think that CERM alone would have not been sufficient, I am glad I reviewed both books. Goswami can be useful in combination with CERM as it presents equations in a simplified way. I checked all of the above references in great depth while I was studying, and it was certainly helpful.

Preparation:

I reviewed all exercises that are part of the original CERM book. I worked on the PPE 6 minute morning exercises (geo, structures, transpo and hydro) as well. I also solved the NCEES 2011, 2008, and 2001 sample exams. I also reviewed the Rajapakse book, but even tough I had it tagged, it was not very helpful as it does not have an index. However, solving some of the excercises on that book was helpful.

My advice is to focus on the material you can review. I had other references that I had not checked in detail and they were basically just weight in my bag. Also work on exercises as much as you can. I had Lindenburg Sample Examination and Practice Problems, but I had no time to do them. I think it would have been good if I would have checked them as well.

Now the waiting game has started, I hope I passed the test.

Hi Cristian,

Did you have a lot of problems of Surveying....I failed a couple of years ago and I recalled 3 or so problems in the Constr'n PM dealing with Surveying (ie. elevation, benchmarking, etc.)? Do you recall any good sources for the "Temporary Structures" as there were 5 questions in that area?

Thanks!

Well, I'm getting an early start for the April 2012 Construction PE exam. Based on the great information others have shared on this site, I recently ordered, or dowloaded, all of the NCEES suggested reference material (incl. used AISC 13th edition for $18.76 at Bucks 4 Books & substitutde the ACI 318-05 with ACI 318-08 & commentary (found a great deal too good to pass up)). In addition I found

CERM 12th edition + morning breadth package

PPI Construction reference package,

Six Minute Solutions for Struct, Transpo, Water/Env., Geotch,

All-in-one Civil PE, Goswami

Wiley Dictionary of Civil Engineering and Construction

Bob's Crane and Rigging Handbook

Construction Methods and Management 7th edition

NCEES sample exam from 2004

Principals of Geotechnical Engineering (Das) 25th Anniv. Ed.

I would like to know where to find a really good clear and concise text for the exam on planning and scheduling with CPM and PMP methods? Any suggestions?

thanks,

Jason

MN

I used a business textbook I owned, but I think all the info you need could be covered on a sheet of paper. I'd get comfortable solving those type of problems and make notes. The text would be overkill, I think.

Are you familiar with the concepts prior to this point?

I would also suggest printing off and getting familiar with at least section 6 of the MUTCD. It's not for the planning/scheduling parts, but it is a helpful reference for traffic control.

Thanks guys. I forgot to list it but I did print out the MUTCD - part 6. Also, can anyone refer me to a solid text for the scheduling and CPM, PMP networks? I have never worked with them before, nor have I scheduled. Although I have set back schedules before :bananapowerslide:

Here is a list of the references I used for the Civil PE Construction Depth. I used each book at LEAST once for my exam in October.

CERM

Design Loads on Structures During Construction (ASCE 37)

Formwork for Concrete (ACI SP-4)

Guide to Formwork for Concrete (ACI 347, this is included with ACI SP-4)

MUTCD Part 6

OSHA for the Construction Industry

National Design Specifications for Wood Construction

For ASCE 37, ACI SP-4 (and ACI 347), and the MUTCD Part 6, I was able to find PDF's to download on the internet. Some sites were fairly sketchy and I highly recommend a good antivirus before you go looking for files to download. I might be able to find where my pdf's came from if someone needs help.

Since I work for a state DOT as a construction engineer, I have contact with construction contractors on a daily basis. I simply asked one of their engineers if they had an extra OSHA manual lying around that I could borrow or rent from them.

I also bought the CERM for the Construction Depth (or something like that), it was just over $100 and was less than 200 pages long. Another engineer that I work with also bought this, we felt like largely it was a waste of money. Most material was just copied from the large CERM. Hopefully the next edition of the smaller book is better.

Here is a list of the references I used for the Civil PE Construction Depth. I used each book at LEAST once for my exam in October.

CERM

MUTCD Part 6

For ASCE 37, ACI SP-4 (and ACI 347), and the MUTCD Part 6, I was able to find PDF's to download on the internet. Some sites were fairly sketchy and I highly recommend a good antivirus before you go looking for files to download. I might be able to find where my pdf's came from if someone needs help.

Since I work for a state DOT as a construction engineer, I have contact with construction contractors on a daily basis. I simply asked one of their engineers if they had an extra OSHA manual lying around that I could borrow or rent from them.

I also bought the CERM for the Construction Depth (or something like that), it was just over $100 and was less than 200 pages long. Another engineer that I work with also bought this, we felt like largely it was a waste of money. Most material was just copied from the large CERM. Hopefully the next edition of the smaller book is better.

I feel the same way about the Construction Depth Manual. I got the impression that it was rather hastily put together to meet a publication date goal. I think that with further editions this book will become a useful manual for the civil-construction exam. There are a few gems in the present edition, but right now, it is not worth the money.

Above reference is really helpful. In case you are interested in knowing how to make perfect road construction then you should select Asphalt Drum Mix Plant for making perfect construction and develop the infrastructure of the country.

CERM

MUTCD Part 6

I feel the same way about the Construction Depth Manual. I got the impression that it was rather hastily put together to meet a publication date goal. I think that with further editions this book will become a useful manual for the civil-construction exam. There are a few gems in the present edition, but right now, it is not worth the money.

I think you may be right about the publication date. I don't RECALL seeing it when I first ordered my materials (Early June), but saw it sometime in late September. I didn't want to buy it, but I wasn't going to miss out on passing the test because I was too cheap to pay another $130.

It would be nice if a 6 minute solutions for Construction came out. Of course, there is a lot of overlap in Geotech, Structures and Transpo.....

Has anyone used and had success with Construction Depth Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam by Thomas Korman PhD PE PLS (Aug 28, 2011)? I am wondering if it is worth the buy.

Here is what I used for success on Const Depth in no particular order:

1. CERM

2. NCEES Sample problems (Construction)

3. Nunnally "Construction Methods & Management"

4. Mamlouk "Materials for Civil & Construction Engineers"

5. CERM Const. Depth Manual

6. Ruwan Books

7. School of PE Construction Notes (AM & PM)

8. All NCEES listed Const. Design Standards (you need all of them)

Don't think you can pass on some of the Design Standards...you need them & you need to know them. I used 6 of the 9 directly on the exam and would have missed points if I did not have them. My guess is that the ones I did not use could easily be of need on the next exam. Know how to use the OSHA Manual for engineering types of questions.

As far as CERM Const. Depth Manual goes, it really is not a "stand alone" reference, has no practice problems, and is really of no help without other references...but it does have some gems. Maybe future editions will be better.

Const. 6 Minute Solutions was not available so I don't know how it compares, but my guess is that any source of construction engineering problems to work is going to be very beneficial.

Don't waste time with reading construction administration stuff....it will be of little use.

NCEES Sample Problems will give you the best idea of what you are up against.

1. NCEES Sample Problems...it lists the references they used to solve the problems. I took several of the "textbooks" that used in the solutions and I ended up using those books more than the CERM only because I was familliar with them. Several of the reference textbooks I used in graduate school. If you are not familiar with them they won't help.

2. CERM

3. ACI Formwork book with ACI 347-04...used this one a lot on the April 2012 exam.

4. AASHTO Green Book - tables are faster than calculations in my opinion

5. OSHA 1926 Several questions on each exam about OSHA. If you have taken an OSHA 10/30/40 hour class take the other reference materials as well.

6. MUTC good for a few answers...if you bring it.

7. Peurifoy et al, Construction Planning, Equipment, and Methods. I wish I had the estimating textbook, but I didn't.

8. Nunnally Construction Methods and Management

9. AISC Steel Manual - weld symbols, Moment of Inertia

10. Any text book by Ven Te Chow - Hydrology, Open Chanel Hydraulics

11. Das - Foundation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering

12. PCA Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures

13. My Hibbler Structural Engineering textbook because I knew where all the shear and moment diagrams were

I do not think that the NDS timber design guides are needed. That would be 4 books to study for very few problems

A civil engineering dictionary might be beneficial for some of the definition type questions...I don't have one, but I wish I would have

Don't use books that you aren't familiar with because you will burn time. However if there are a few questions that you guess on and will come back to and you have plenty of time, you may want to dig through some of your extra books to find an answer. Make sure you answer every question as you get to it even if you have to guess. You don't want to hear "5 minutes left" and realize that your answers are off a line because you skipped a question.

Make sure you answer every question as you get to it even if you have to guess. You don't want to hear "5 minutes left" and realize that your answers are off a line because you skipped a question.
Sledge,

I agree with almost everything you said, except your last point. My strategy was to read each question in order. If I knew how to do it I did. If not and/or it appeared to take a lot of time I skipped it and circled the question number on my answer sheet. This prevented me from mistakingly bubling answers for a different question. It worked great. Guessing along the way might evoke a false sense of confidence and one forgets to circle back to them later. Just my 2 cents.

Jason

Is the book by Puerifoy, "Estimating Construction Costs" useful? I haven't seen any recommendations on this or other good estimating books to use as references.

Very useful. Use this for production calculations and pump problems. Also, Peurifoy's explanation on bank volume calcs/water requirements/bank density vs. loose density is the best I've ever seen. Clear and concise. It can be useful for AM problems as well. Absolutely get this book.

Thanks for the tip on the estimating book. Any recommendations for good scheduling books that have the same format as NCEES problems?

Back