Recommendation for online study course?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennwood

Reaction score
I spent a good 6 months preparing for the environmental exam and I was surprised that most of the April exam questions seem so different from the prep format I'd reviewed- Lindeburg, Schneiter, and NCEES. I didn't pass. I didn't review 101 Solved Problems so maybe I'll start with that but is it OK to ask if someone could recommend a good online test preparation course? There are so many courses available. I took a local Civil review course but given that the exam seemed more qualitative than quantitative, I don't know how much that helped me. What would you recommend? I've already spent a lot on test prep and am incredibly frustrated by the April exam and result. Do you think that April's exam was usual or might the next exam be more calculation? Thanks!

After studying on my own utilizing the Lindeburg, Schneiter, 101 Solved problems, NCEES, and the NC State DVDs and failing, twice, I broke down and took an online review course offered by the School of PE. My experience is in water/wastewater, so I was already very strong in those areas. The air sections were my main problem areas, and I was somewhat weak in hazardous waste and remediation. The course worked well with my schedule, and the professor covering the topics I was weak in did a very good job. After I finished the test this time around, I wasn't sure if it had helped me or not b/c many of the questions on the test were really random and there were a handful of questions I wasn't able to get to in the afternoon. However, I wasn't sure if this was because I knew how to work more problems or b/c I was taking too long to look up some of the qualitative questions. I ended up passing this time, so it was worth it.

To be honest...I wouldnt recommend spending any money on an online review course. I took the University of Del review course and thought it was the biggest waste of money. I was lucky enough to pass the Environmental PE on my first go round, but I dont believe it was due to that course at all. If I were to take any review course I prob would have taken the NC State course. I like that the modules are taught by different subject matter experts and the course content seems to follow the exam blue print better. I think the problem with some of the other online/resident courses is that the instructors tend to follow the chemical/mechanical/civil subjects too much and not what you need to know for the 100 question Environmental Exam.

I agree w/ you about the qualitative questions...i thought some were ridiculous. I believe the true key to passing this exam is to maximize your time doing lots of "realistic" type problems (meaning dont waste time doing an hour long problem in the lindeburg book about gravity on mars) and organizing the heck out of your quality references. I really believe the second part is what saved my skin. I was able to answer several qualitative questions quickly becuase I had the right reference and knew where to find it quickly. I really thought I would be taking this again and feel lucky enough to have gotten by this time, but if I had to take again in Oct this would be the advice i would follow in my opinion. Wish you the best of luck in Oct.

Did any of you use Cooper & Alley for Air? Did you find it useful?

I am planning to use it for Oct and would like to know your take on it.

Thanks

To be honest...I wouldnt recommend spending any money on an online review course. I took the University of Del review course and thought it was the biggest waste of money. I was lucky enough to pass the Environmental PE on my first go round, but I dont believe it was due to that course at all. If I were to take any review course I prob would have taken the NC State course. I like that the modules are taught by different subject matter experts and the course content seems to follow the exam blue print better. I think the problem with some of the other online/resident courses is that the instructors tend to follow the chemical/mechanical/civil subjects too much and not what you need to know for the 100 question Environmental Exam.

I agree w/ you about the qualitative questions...i thought some were ridiculous. I believe the true key to passing this exam is to maximize your time doing lots of "realistic" type problems (meaning dont waste time doing an hour long problem in the lindeburg book about gravity on mars) and organizing the heck out of your quality references. I really believe the second part is what saved my skin. I was able to answer several qualitative questions quickly becuase I had the right reference and knew where to find it quickly. I really thought I would be taking this again and feel lucky enough to have gotten by this time, but if I had to take again in Oct this would be the advice i would follow in my opinion. Wish you the best of luck in Oct.
I spent a good 6 months preparing for the environmental exam and I was surprised that most of the April exam questions seem so different from the prep format I'd reviewed- Lindeburg, Schneiter, and NCEES. I didn't pass. I didn't review 101 Solved Problems so maybe I'll start with that but is it OK to ask if someone could recommend a good online test preparation course? There are so many courses available. I took a local Civil review course but given that the exam seemed more qualitative than quantitative, I don't know how much that helped me. What would you recommend? I've already spent a lot on test prep and am incredibly frustrated by the April exam and result. Do you think that April's exam was usual or might the next exam be more calculation? Thanks!

It was OK - and everyone else here seems to have used it. I didn't really think it was all that great, but I don't know of any (affordable) alternative. Salvato ("Environmental Engineernig") is actually a pretty good supplement to Cooper & Alley, and contains a lot of into on sampling that Cooper doesn't, as well as indoor air quality.

Yes i used the Cooper and Alley book. I would agree w/ Dleg its not great but prob the best available option out there. The end of the book has about 20 something PE practice problems that I found useful. Other books that I was able to use for answering some air questions included the Salvato book and Lagregra Haz waste book. I remember getting one really strange question that I was able to answer by skimming through the Lagregra book. Salvato by far is the best book to have.

Latest posts

Back