Really, I shouldn't laugh at this

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at first i thought maybe the turtles choked on the litter left such as the bag or candle...geeze that must have been a lot of candles.

You know, I'm in such a generally foul mood these days that all I have to say is:

"Darwinism in action."

(is that mean of me?)

COMMENTS:

FedUpWithItAll wrote on 09/24/2009 01:43:17 PM: All is not lost... I hear that those tiny carcass shells make wonderful earrings. :) (Those PETA people are gonna love that one...) Heh heh heh...

Gaia wrote on 09/24/2009 01:22:44 PM: How sad. Eric, the aren't just turtles. They are an important part of the oceanic ecosystem. You need to do some studying, my friend. You CAN fix ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty funny to me too. Aren't these the same turtles that mostly get eaten by one predator or another once they actually make it into the ocean?

Gaia wrote on 09/24/2009 01:22:44 PM: How sad. Eric, the aren't just turtles. They are an important part of the oceanic ecosystem. You need to do some studying, my friend. You CAN fix ignorant.
Damn right they are an important part of the ecosystem...they are food for ghost crabs and other beach-dwelling carnivores.

i get disoriented w/ artificial light too. . .i take the trash out at nite & swear to god, i'll wander around my driveway in circles, occasionally bumping into the garage door. My wife usually finds me the next morning weak & feeble laying in a pool of my own urine.

Hatchlings instinctively follow the brightest light, which was the glare off the ocean in the days before electricity and extensive development along the coast.
clearly the answer is to evacuate the coastlines, what maybe a good 1/2 - 1 mi. deep? Or cut the power to those areas, and restrict the ability to make fire

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell is a "furious sea turtle volunteers" :Locolaugh:

aj.jpeg

I hate to admit that I find it kind of funny, too....

We deal with that all the time - projects get denied outdoor lighting by the US Fish and Wildlife Service because of these same fears. I'm shepherding a road project through the Endangered Species Act consultation project right now (a road project designed to reduce sedimentation and improve water quality for the turtles and their friends, incidentally), and the first word out of our moths was "we're not putting in lights!". You know, just to get that off the table.

But the real sad thing is, that couple will probably get freakin' nailed to the wall by the USFWS in federal court. Those guys can be nasty...

They left 150 candles burning on the beach "all night" and between the these patrols and eco-groups no one saw them?

Guess they don't care enough to be there when the hatchlings go for it. Plus, I bet they could have gotten some great "beach-action" videos. nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Back