Re: Reviewing References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engfriend

Reaction score
Please help! I would like some tips from other test takers on how to go about reviewing references especially Lagrega, and Salvato. Both of these are huge texts and am not sure as to how much I should review them or just rely on Index during the test.

I am planning on spending considerable amount of time on reviewing Lindeburg text, Metcalf&Eddy, Cooper&Alley and problems. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

I forgot to mention in previous post, any suggestions from previous test takers are also welcome and appreciated.

I think the best way to attack the broad aspect of this exam is to do as many problems as you can and try and use your references if needed for further problem solving or clarification. I think this method will get you into the mindset of how the exam process will be and will maximize your study time. As you encounter problems that you dont quite understand or have difficulty with than having a good set of references is key and knowing how to find material in your references is even more important.

To be a little bit more specific...lets say i had a problem dealing w/ selecting an appropriate air sampler for PM10. Rather than just knowing the answer and making a note of it, i would try and search through the envrm, salvato, cooper and alley, google, etc and try and find the types of air sampling equipment for not just PM10 but the other NAAQS air contaminants and make a note of where i found that information in the solution of that particular problem. This proved to be pretty helpful for me when it came time to creating and organizing my binder of stuff i thought was relevant and it also proved effective for managing my time on the exam because i knew where in my references to look and had experience solving problems using that particular reference. Hope my rambling helps provide some guidance.

Here's what I did: Start going through practice problems. As you go, pull out the appropriate reference to familiarize yourself with that question. I read the entire chapter to refresh myself.

Use the books you used doing this method. Print out relevant sections of federal rules and regs, they're free and online.

Consolidating key equations and principles into a set of handwritten notes in a 3-ring binder helped me a lot.

One, it saves time. Two, it helps drill it into your head.

I still have mine, thinking about getting them scanned at some point and pencil written notes on engineering paper aren't exactly going to age well.

I used the books during my studies and tagged key equations. I familiarized myself with the general content of the chapters as I encountered difficult problems, then tagged each chapter before the test for quick reference.

While I tagged Salvato chapters,because it is so dense with materials, I found the appendix most useful during the exam.

You have a lot of material to review but you can do it. You have plenty of time if you put the effort into it now. I would go through waves of feeling overwhelmed at times. Just keep at it diligently, and try to get some exercise to keep your head clear. In no time he feeling of being overwhelmed will be replaced with confidence, then anticipation for test day to arrive. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for their valuable suggestions, I will keep these points in mind and prepare accordingly.

I started preparing for this Oct PE. I find it hard to understand HVAC related stuff. How important is it to work problems in that area? I have only EERM and practice problems for EERM as for as the HVAC content is concerned. Previous test takers please reply..or suggest easy references for that section.

I just double checked the specifications, and there doesn't seem to be anything on HVAC. I don't remember anything related to that when I took the exam...

There will be questions on coal/gas fired burners, incineration, emissions controls, etc.

But they are not going to ask you to design an AC system for an office building.

Where are you seeing this?

In EERM for PE by Lindeburg- Before Ducts and Fans section (36 chapter),Under Topic IV, Air Resources and Ventilation, HVAC-Psychometrics, Ventilation, Humidification, Heating and Cooling Loads. Chapters numbered from 30-1 through 35.

Thank you for the replies..I got a doubt if I have to cover those sections.. so asked.

LIndeburg's book is a reference text - there are several chapters in there that appear in several of the different PE exam books, that you don't necessarily need to worry about for the exam, like HVAC, basic math, etc.

You're just getting started studying now???

LIndeburg's book is a reference text - there are several chapters in there that appear in several of the different PE exam books, that you don't necessarily need to worry about for the exam, like HVAC, basic math, etc.

You're just getting started studying now???
Ok. Thank you for the replies. Yup..kind of..started late!

Good luck, but if you are unfamiliar with what is or isn't on the exam or not so sure about your references a week or two before the exam, I really think you have done a disservice to yourself as far as studying goes.

The exam's on the 26th so it's been a month since akg asked originally. I studied for a lot longer than that, but I did most of my serious studying within the last three weeks so it's not that crazy.

Good luck, akg and all the other October test-takers. You're headed into crunch time, but stick with it. :)

The exam's on the 26th so it's been a month since akg asked originally. I studied for a lot longer than that, but I did most of my serious studying within the last three weeks so it's not that crazy.

Good luck, akg and all the other October test-takers. You're headed into crunch time, but stick with it. :)
Thank you.. :)

My sincere thanks to everyone who helped me preparing for OCtober 2012 exam, their suggestions and tips really worked for me. I PASSED (Hurray!!!!!), in the 3rd attempt, but I am through!!!!

Back