Ranked: Kevin Smith Movies from Worst to Best

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mallrats is better than Dogma.

The link is blocked here at work, damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen Cop Out, Red State, or Zack and Miri, but I agree with Clerks being #1. My list (of the films I have seen) would be...

1. Clerks

2. Mallrats

3. Clerks 2

4. Dogma

5. Chasing Amy

6. Jersey Girl

7. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

I thought Jay & Silent Bob was just awful. They pulled off the over-the-top version of Clerks (Clerks 2) better than the over-the-top version of Mallrats (J&SB). The closest race is between Dogma and Clerks 2...I really liked both of them. But none of them are more quotable than Clerks and Mallrats.

I honestly dont see why Chasing Amy is anything above last. With the J&SB movies, you at least had an idea that it was going to be cheesey.

I haven't seen Cop Out, Red State, or Zack and Miri, but I agree with Clerks being #1. My list (of the films I have seen) would be...

1. Clerks

2. Mallrats

3. Clerks 2

4. Dogma

5. Chasing Amy

6. Jersey Girl

7. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

I thought Jay & Silent Bob was just awful. They pulled off the over-the-top version of Clerks (Clerks 2) better than the over-the-top version of Mallrats (J&SB). The closest race is between Dogma and Clerks 2...I really liked both of them. But none of them are more quotable than Clerks and Mallrats.
I can't see the list in the link (blocked at work) but I would point out that of the movies listed in Wil's list, all but two came out in the 90's, and the two that came out after that are at the bottom of his list and pretty much considered box office failures.

In summary, Kevin Smith hasn't been a relevant filmmaker in over a decade.

I can't see the list in the link (blocked at work) but I would point out that of the movies listed in Wil's list, all but two came out in the 90's, and the two that came out after that are at the bottom of his list and pretty much considered box office failures.

Somewhat true, but Clerks 2 is the newest film on my list.

Somewhat true, but Clerks 2 is the newest film on my list.
You're right. I missed that on the list. I also have never seen it.

Personally, I think it is sacrilege not to have Clerks at number 1 and Dogma at number 2.
Disagree on Dogma, but Clerks should be rated much much higher... Zack and Miri was also MUCH better than Clerks 2, but I still think J&SB is the BOMB... there is nothing funnier than a bunch of actors making fun of themselves with a bunch of one liners even if the plot stinks and makes very little sense... then again... it could just be that The Time were in it... :)

I really thought Clerks II was > Clerks....

the scene where he makes the LOTR guy vomit is just as classic as they come...

And is it ever okay to go A2M?

This may be sacrilege, but I have only seen about half of those films, and I was not terribly impressed with any of them.

This may be sacrilege, but I have only seen about half of those films, and I was not terribly impressed with any of them.
Not sacrilege...his movies are an acquired taste. I hated Clerks the first time I saw it, but now it is one of my favorite movies. The Big Lebowski falls in that same category.

I showed my wife Clerks right after we met. I told her she got bonus points for spewing beer and almost choking when Randall spewed water in the customer's face.

"I mean that's what high school was about, algebra, bad lunch, and infidelity."

Back