Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys.  GUYS.  I've just been told that you can get a house for like $125k!  I COULD USE MY SAVINGS AND GET A HOUSE IF I GET THIS JOB AS OPPOSED TO DYING ON LONG ISLAND.
yeah, it's insane how much cheaper indiana is than nyc. that's why you should go and check it out. 

also, no babysitting parents cats

or you could take them with you bc your house your rules

the cats, not your parents

unless you wanted to

also, no babysitting parents cats

or you could take them with you bc your house your rules

the cats, not your parents

unless you wanted to
Eh, if I got an offer, the cats would def stay with parents since one has 'bonded' with my dad and the other goes outside and kills too many things.

BUT IT COULD HAVE A HOUSE.

indiana-stop.jpg

take the plane ride and go through the process.  See what the real deal is....then say not interested.

I think I'd be starting out as a GS-11, if I got an offer, and when I looked at the pay...
That's way way way too low. That's B.S. + 2 years experience, or M.S. + 1 year. Even for a field position, you should be in the 12-13 range. Is the job on a ladder? i.e. 11-12-13 or 11-12?

Keep in mind that since you aren't fresh out of school, you will have some leverage to ask for higher step. You should also ask for student loan repayment options (up to 10k/yr for a couple years). If they really want you, there are some other HR tricks they can pull that stay within the letter and intent of the law.

I work in the nuclear industry ... and it too is painstakingly regulated.
I was thinking that too. Bureaucracy and regulation is relative. In nuclear, it's all paperwork all the time, regardless of who or where you work.

That would make me turn my nose up, for sure. It’s been my experience that federal doesn’t pay nearly as well as other positions.
Depends. Usually yes. Start out much lower, rise faster, but the ceiling is lower. Benefits may or may not almost make up for the lower salary depending on where you work. Work can be much more interesting and fulfilling though. The job security helps too, but that's not easily quantifiable.

Over regulated, I def could see in the nuclear industry ( ha ha ha, please don't kill us all 😥), but I'm sure you're making more money than potentially in federal?
Yes and no. I thoughts for years that most of my contractors made much more than me based on the charged rate, then I learned the multipliers and realized that I was doing better. The ceiling is much higher on the private side.

AAAAAAAAAAAND I just talked to my uncle, and when I explained the scope, he was like, "No, no no no, don't do that.  FAA would be cool, but VA" and then he made more HVAC puns, because he's an engineer.

So, general consensus seems to be 'not worth the time/pay/location'.  Should I call now, tell them not to do the plane stuff, since I know it's highly unlikely I'm going to say yes to this offer (if I even get one), or should I be a dick and use federal funding to go to Indianapolis?
I'd still recommend going for the interview, see points above regarding compensation.

More money, yes, but benefits are trash.
It so true. I swear I hear this about once a week. 

Depends. Usually yes. Start out much lower, rise faster, but the ceiling is lower. Benefits may or may not almost make up for the lower salary depending on where you work. Work can be much more interesting and fulfilling though. The job security helps too, but that's not easily quantifiable.
I’ll also acknowledge that my experience is a little warped because of the specific federal employers I am in close proximity to. Though from what i’ve heard, the benefits are pretty great.

I think it really just boils down to personal preference in the end. I dislike bureaucracy mainly because I believe it stifles my need for creative outlet. But that’s just my own experience.

I’ll also acknowledge that my experience is a little warped because of the specific federal employers I am in close proximity to. Though from what i’ve heard, the benefits are pretty great.

I think it really just boils down to personal preference in the end. I dislike bureaucracy mainly because I believe it stifles my need for creative outlet. But that’s just my own experience.
FYI, we're hiring if you wanna talk relo to the best side of the mountains 

That's way way way too low. That's B.S. + 2 years experience, or M.S. + 1 year. Even for a field position, you should be in the 12-13 range. Is the job on a ladder? i.e. 11-12-13 or 11-12?

Keep in mind that since you aren't fresh out of school, you will have some leverage to ask for higher step. You should also ask for student loan repayment options (up to 10k/yr for a couple years). If they really want you, there are some other HR tricks they can pull that stay within the letter and intent of the law.
Yeah, I want to see if they even offer me a position, so I am still going to interview.  I actually got in touch with someone who moved from NY to ID, as a federal employee, and he says it's a littler tight as a GS-09 (but he also has 3 kids + non-working wife, whereas I have no kids and no wife), but totally doable.  He also bought a house, which I don't know if I'd make that leap so quickly depending on stability.

Position is for water management/treatment, which is what I've always wanted to dabble in, but they mentioned HVAC and stuff, so I want to make sure it isn't just a construction management position masquerading as something more exciting.  And I am def going to throw my 'I'm not a newbie' status around, especially with that newfangled 'PE' at the end of my name.  🤣

This with the FAA?  @csb used to do airport work right?  She might have some advice.

And $125k for a house in IN?  Heck that's expensive--I sold my last house here in Michigan for $54k a couple years ago.

But seriously, $62k with a PE is really low.  We hire new grads right out of school for nearly $70k!

Yeah, I know $62k with a PE is really low.  Unfortunately, it seems like that is all they'll offer.  NYS has also potentially offered a job, and they were like, it starts at $62k..but the benefits at NYS are actually better than federal (sis confirmed, since she worked for both, plus there is way more vacation days/life balance).  But $62k...is a really steep drop for me...I just don't like consulting anymore, so I'm seeing what's out there.  Worse comes to worse, if nothing comes from the federal job, I'll just stick around and see what I can do with my current job/work more towards getting an upstate transfer if they'll let me.

Yeah, I know $62k with a PE is really low.  Unfortunately, it seems like that is all they'll offer.  NYS has also potentially offered a job, and they were like, it starts at $62k..but the benefits at NYS are actually better than federal (sis confirmed, since she worked for both, plus there is way more vacation days/life balance).  But $62k...is a really steep drop for me...I just don't like consulting anymore, so I'm seeing what's out there.  Worse comes to worse, if nothing comes from the federal job, I'll just stick around and see what I can do with my current job/work more towards getting an upstate transfer if they'll let me.
Wish I'd known sooner you were looking and open to relocating... my company posted some enviro jobs a couple months ago but they're closed now.  Working for a utility is kind of in between gov't and consulting.

Back