Quick IBC Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryf

Reaction score
I am still new to this and I am trying to decide how much of the IBC to purchase.

The IBC has 3 volumes. Are all 3 volumes needed to pass the test? Will Volume 1 be sufficient?

Does anyone have an opinion on using the 2006 IBC for the April 2011 exam? Has anyone compared the 2006 and the 2009 versions of the code? Any changes?

Tnx

I am still new to this and I am trying to decide how much of the IBC to purchase.
The IBC has 3 volumes. Are all 3 volumes needed to pass the test? Will Volume 1 be sufficient?

Does anyone have an opinion on using the 2006 IBC for the April 2011 exam? Has anyone compared the 2006 and the 2009 versions of the code? Any changes?

Tnx
I was not aware IBC has has more than one volume, see this link:

http://www.amazon.com/2009-International-B...2290&sr=8-1

Starting April 2011 you will need IBC 2009.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/cerefs.shtml

Tnx
I was not aware IBC has has more than one volume, see this link:

http://www.amazon.com/2009-International-B...2290&sr=8-1

Starting April 2011 you will need IBC 2009.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/cerefs.shtml
The IBC only has 3 volumes if you get the full version with commentary. I would NOT recommend purchasing the full blown version with commentary if you are only taking the civil exam.

I asked Hiner about that and he told me that the new IBC 2009 is probably 10% different from the IBC 2006. He is adding about 100 multiple choice questions and some changes but not much. He told me that his book with IBC 2006 will work about 80% ...just need to relate the new additions especially chapter 16 in IBC

There are some changes between IBC 2006 & IBC 2009. You only need the code book itself for the test, the commentary is nice for in the office if you want to know more about how a particular section is referenced / determined. Most of the changes in structural sections were to refer you to ASCE 7-05 for the calculations / load determinations.

Hopefully the attached came through, but it shows the changes between IBC for 2006 - 2009. Not all of the states have implemented the IBC 2009; even if the federal gov't is using it for all military installations.

HTH

IBC_2009_Changes.pdf

Attachments

• IBC_2009_Changes.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone.

I found pdf's of both the 2006 and 2009 codes locally.

I will probably bring a print version of one to the exam (maybe the 2006 code if I can find a copy) and manually update that with the 2009 material.

There are some changes between IBC 2006 & IBC 2009. You only need the code book itself for the test, the commentary is nice for in the office if you want to know more about how a particular section is referenced / determined. Most of the changes in structural sections were to refer you to ASCE 7-05 for the calculations / load determinations.
Hopefully the attached came through, but it shows the changes between IBC for 2006 - 2009. Not all of the states have implemented the IBC 2009; even if the federal gov't is using it for all military installations.

HTH
Does the attached PDF contain ALL the changes between IBC 2006 and IBC 2009?

HTH
Does the attached PDF contain ALL the changes between IBC 2006 and IBC 2009?

As far as I've been able to tell for the Structural sections. I have not checked any other section to verify.

Back