Public Service Announcement

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no shortage, but people want to pay more anyway.

With gasoline, scarcity is a false perception, Unnava said. There is ample gas in the United States, even after Ike delivered 110-mph winds to Galveston and Houston, an area that's home to a significant portion of the nation's oil refineries.
Gov. Rick Perry announced Monday that Texas' oil and gas industry "dodged a bullet" and that "some of those refineries are actually back in operation as we speak."
Even given those facts, morons are flocking to all of the local gas stations here to top off their tank, and fill up as many gas cans as they can buy. Everybody is sold out of gas cans, and the several gas stations have run dry because of the "run on the pumps". I got stuck in 2 traffic jams on the biggest commercial street near my house because of retards lined up to get gas at 2 stations. There were still lines of cars at least 10 deep at every pump at 10:30 last night.

Of course gas is going to go up $.50 a gallon if you idiots create a shortage. I just hope that my half a tank will last me until these fuckers finally realize that THERE IS NO GAS SHORTAGE, and gas falls to the market price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I'm probably going to have to tank up soon, as I'm just over a quarter of a tank. I don't like running less than half a tank because it isn''t real good for the fuel pump.

Sadly, I'm probably going to have to tank up soon, as I'm just over a quarter of a tank. I don't like running less than half a tank because it isn''t real good for the fuel pump.
I know...that's what I dread. I'm thinking that I'll be out sometime during the weekend. I hope I don't have to wait in an hour-long line to pay way too much for gas by then. It may spark a fist fight if I see people filling up a bunch of gas cans.

The lines are all gone here. Just the $$$$ for the gas. My car gets good mileage, so it really isn't an issue of affordability, it id just the feeling I'm being taken advantage of.

Most gas is in the 4.19-4.39 range.

Most of the gas stations around Tallahassee are still advertising that they are out of gas with the pumps roped off. I am down to a 1/4 tank of gas .... :smileyballs:

JR

I love this thread. My uncle called me the other day saying he heard that gas prices were going to be $5.00 "tomorrow". He called me since I am a contract engineer for one of the large oil companies. He thought I would know about the price increase before "the public" knew. I laughed so hard I nearly cried. First off, if they did spread the word about gas prices they would not tell a contractor. We are less than "the public". Secondly, I realized when it came out of his mouth that this was a rumor probably started either through email, by text message, or by the clueless media. I just told him I had not heard anything and hung up. I called him back a few minutes later and was like, "I called some coworkers of mine and they say the estimate of $5.00 gas was low and it would really be $7.00 a gallon" and he should line the bed of his truck with plastic and fill it with gasoline. He laughed realizing I was being fecetious.

With that here is what I know:

Most of the GOM oil production is shut down right now due to damage from a 50 ft wave that came through ahead of hurricane Ike. Only the platforms that sit higher off the water were spared. GOM pipelines are still assessing the damage so even the less affected platforms have no way to ship product to shore. There hasn't been any reports of major damage to the refineries. The only reason most are still down is due to oil availability and lack of an energized power grid. This is a temporary event. While some platforms did sustain damage, the fact that oil prices continue to plummet means there is no real shortage of oil. I have a long commute to work so I have to fuel up every 2 to 3 days. It has been frustrating trying to fill up. I know I am contributing to the shortage by driving around til I find a station that isn't packed, but I would rather pay a few more dollars than wait behind a bunch of panicky idiots for gasoline.

Here in San Antonio we were looking at getting hit by Ike. We are a good ways inland so it would only amount to a nasty set of thunderstorms by the time it got to us. So I made sure I had a full tank. There was a run on food supplies and bottled water at the super markets and walmarts. But I don't remember much of a gas panic. The prices have gone up maybe $0.10/gal the last week.

I did notice that Valero was selling all three grades of gas for the same price, $3.539/gal. They seemed to drop the price of the higher grades, not raise the price of the lower grades. I thought that was a little odd. Other stations seemed to keep the usual $0.10/gal difference between grades.

We didn't get a single drop of rain from Ike BTW.

That higher grade price drop is probably because they've temporarily eased EPA restrictions on their gas, including allowing the temporary use of winter blends in the pumps.

And for you guys not in Texas, try sitting in traffic at blinking lights, waiting to make a right hand turn, only to discover that the turn lane is about 100 cars long, most of which is comprised of people waiting in line for the Chevron station.

Oh well. I've had a full tank since Saturday afternoon when I filled up at pre-hike prices, and hit up the ATM's before they all lost power too.

My brother is IN Houston at the moment and has not really had to wait in line for gas.

He did see a gas line that was over 5 miles long, drove right by and went to a station further down the road that had 2 cars in line.

The longest he's had to wait was 10 minutes at a station in Louisiana when driving back to TX on Saturday.

My brother is IN Houston at the moment and has not really had to wait in line for gas.
He did see a gas line that was over 5 miles long, drove right by and went to a station further down the road that had 2 cars in line.

The longest he's had to wait was 10 minutes at a station in Louisiana when driving back to TX on Saturday.

That's about right. Everybody on the main roads panics and HAS to go to the first one they see. Westheimer, HWY 6, etc all around here are teeming with cars. Hang a right and drive 2 miles down Eldridge, and voila 2 stations with no wait, and they're about 30 cents cheaper.

That's about right. Everybody on the main roads panics and HAS to go to the first one they see. Westheimer, HWY 6, etc all around here are teeming with cars. Hang a right and drive 2 miles down Eldridge, and voila 2 stations with no wait, and they're about 30 cents cheaper.
that's crazy, I know where all those roads are. I used to live off Wilcrest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true.

and glad to see youre ok Supe (except your hard drive, that sux)

Very true.
and glad to see youre ok Supe (except your hard drive, that sux)
Thanks.

Indeed it does suck. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later when you're using a nearly 7 year old Dell Laptop as your only computer anyways (glad I sunk all the money into it when I did! That bad boy still isn't obsolete).

If they can't recover it, I didn't lose anything THAT critical other than a billion contacts and a lot of photos, music, etc. Probably just pick up a desktop this time around and try and milk the company for a laptop (even though I shouldn't HAVE to work this hard to get a damn laptop from a Fortune 500 company when I'm a field engineer). Oh well, what's another $2k anyways :suicide1:

They say that there is no fuel shortage in Alabama.....don't tell that to the Exxon station around the corner. Plastic bags on every pump.

They say that there is no fuel shortage in Alabama.....don't tell that to the Exxon station around the corner. Plastic bags on every pump.
Many of the gas stations around me didn't get more gas until yesterday. I guess it takes time to get the trucks around to every single gas station that the yabbos drained empty.

I had the same problem in Tally - took me forever to find a station offering gas. At that they were only accepting cash and limited the dispensing to 10 gallons. :smileyballs:

JR

I got some good eat shit looks yesterday morning for filling up a ONE GALLON gas can for the lawn-mower, geeshhhhhh

Back