PTOE exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this mean that the passing percentage is 67%??
no, I don't think we can assume that. As I said in my previous post, the low score was 43%.

If the 13 people who did not pass all scored in the 40-50% range, that would bring down the average significantly. In that case, it is likely that the passing score would be higher than the average.

Basically, we just don't know with the information that we have.

Does this mean that the passing percentage is 67%??
no, I don't think we can assume that. As I said in my previous post, the low score was 43%.

If the 13 people who did not pass all scored in the 40-50% range, that would bring down the average significantly. In that case, it is likely that the passing score would be higher than the average.

Basically, we just don't know with the information that we have.
So, somebdo with 67% score can still fail the test???

So, somebody with 67% score can still fail the test???
maybe. maybe not. we don't know what the minimum passing score is. All we know is the best score, the worst score, and the average score.
That seems to be not fair or correct. If your pass or fail depends on the group of individuals that take the test each time?? It is not consistenet? Your fate depends on th group? If there are some Ph.Ds taking the test in your group, you are screwed?

maybe. maybe not. we don't know what the minimum passing score is. All we know is the best score, the worst score, and the average score.
That seems to be not fair or correct. If your pass or fail depends on the group of individuals that take the test each time?? It is not consistenet? Your fate depends on th group? If there are some Ph.Ds taking the test in your group, you are screwed?

that's not what I am saying at all. I'm sure there is a "standard" minimum score. and because there is an independent standard, the average of the 46 June 2010 test takers doesn't matter at all. But we don't know what the minimum passing score is. All we know is the average score from June 2010. But as I've been saying all along, that doesn't mean anything when it comes to minimum passing score.

A little more detail, now that I've read through the letter a few times.Total PTOE candidates in June 2010 = 46

Total Passing = 33

pass rate = 72%

I had heard about/read about past tests, and a pass rate of ~85%. I don't really know if that's true or not, but I am curious how the June 2010 test compared to previous exams...
No letter for me yet. Just curious but is your name in the directory now? A coworker saw her name in the directory before she got the letter a couple tests ago
No, my name is not yet in the online directory.

and from what I can tell, none of the June 2010 test takers are in the online directory yet.

If you do a search with all the fields blank, but check the PTOE box, it say this at the top:

2343 results were found , 100 are displayed.

and I've been checking multiple times a day for the past couple of weeks. it was 2343 PTOE's before the June 2010 results, and right now, it still is 2343 PTOE's. If this number goes up to 2376, then you'll know that the 33 new PTOE's have been added.
THERE ARE 2,340 CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS AS OF APRIL 28 , 2010. This is what I see on ITE website. Where did you see 2,343? Thanks.

that's not what I am saying at all. I'm sure there is a "standard" minimum score. and because there is an independent standard, the average of the 46 June 2010 test takers doesn't matter at all. But we don't know what the minimum passing score is. All we know is the average score from June 2010. But as I've been saying all along, that doesn't mean anything when it comes to minimum passing score.
I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that you need to know what the passing score is. I know the highest score, lowest score, the average and my score. So what? It tells you whether you passed or not. If you pass, you are OK and Happy. But the for the people, who failed, how do they know what the passing score was? If you take PE, FE or other Traffic Engineering exams like in CA or OR, it is not like this, is it? Few years back, if you had CA Traffic Engineer's licence, they gave PTOE certification if you apply. There does not seem to be a standadrd for this test. Something seems to be not correct with PTOE is all that I am saying. Nothing against those passed or failed.

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that you need to know what the passing score is. I know the highest score, lowest score, the average and my score. So what? It tells you whether you passed or not. If you pass, you are OK and Happy. But the for the people, who failed, how do they know what the passing score was? If you take PE, FE or other Traffic Engineering exams like in CA or OR, it is not like this, is it? Few years back, if you had CA Traffic Engineer's licence, they gave PTOE certification if you apply. There does not seem to be a standadrd for this test. Something seems to be not correct with PTOE is all that I am saying. Nothing against those passed or failed.
If 50 people take the test and all of them get the passing score, whatever it is set by the board, they all should pass. But with this method, it appears that 30% will always fail. They used to pass 85% a few years back like someoen sadi above. It looks like a money making deal and the certification is more of a presteige and marketing tool for right now, than anything else.

I don't think that you will find anything other than ITE. However, I recommend that you go in try to take the test again. If I am not wrong then you can get different tests if you keep refreshing. You won't get the answers but you will get the questions - those questions are a good resource.

Good luck.

I think the PTOE refresher problems are a good start. You won't need to do too many calculations. Most of the questions are "street knowledge" pardon the pun. I took it this past fall and thought it was ridiculously hard. If I were to study for it again, I would read the ITE Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning cover to cover. Transportation Safety is also a large part of the exam. There are some topics that you will only be able to answer with experience in the field. The best of luck to you!

I'm taking the exam 07 JUN 2011 1630 hrs. What equations should I commit to memory (such as max, avg. queue length and/or others)? Are most of the questions on the exam similiar to those found in the PTOE Refresher and online practice exams? I've been reviewing over the refresher and webinar slides, and referencing agaist the HCM, Traffic Engineering Handbook, MUTCD and etc...; however, it is very timing consuming and getting very nervous about the exam. Do you have any advice that you would be happy to share with me? Thanks

I hope you did well. I'm taking the exam in a week and I'm also lost.

I have the ITE reference book but nothing else. So I'm just studying the questions at the end of the book.

Did you end up memorizing any formulas?

Do you have any advice?

Thanks

I hope you did well. I'm taking the exam in a week and I'm also lost.I have the ITE reference book but nothing else. So I'm just studying the questions at the end of the book.

Did you end up memorizing any formulas?

Do you have any advice?

Thanks
Well to begin with I was ill the week prior to and of the exam; however, made every attempt to use my time wisely by writing down some important points on some flash cards from the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook and refresher manual, AASHTO, MUTCD and some other information I found online. Should you have the time, I would recommend reviewing over those sections in the HCM mentioned in the refresher course manual, review over queing theory, and etc...As others have stated in these forums, approximately 50 percent of the questions can be answered from reviewing over the refresher manual, AASHTO green book and MUTCD; whereas, perhaps the remaining 50 percent is comprised of ones field experience, trivia, common sense, good judgement and best of luck. I wasn't as prepared as I wanted to be since becoming ill weeks prior to the exam really put a dent in my preparation. I was planning on working some problem sets from the HCM, such as when I prepared for the PE exam to get up to speed on basic flow, desnity, volume and speed relationships, to prepare me for the numerical operations that one would assume to expect to see on the exam. I've spoken with those that completed the entire exam in 1.5 to 3.5 hours. One person thought the exam was straightforward, while the other thought it was ratherdifficult. I couldn't have of asked for any better testing center accomodations as everything was fine. The exam on the other hand I have mixed emotions about. Some of the questions were straightforward and lifted straight-most cases worded differently-from some of reference manuals, while some were tricky, which made me sit back, think them over, focus and concentrate on before arriving at a solution. In all honesty, I feel like I will be back the next go around unless a "miracle" happens! One thing is that should make you feel more relaxed is that I didn't feel as exhausted after taking this exam as I did with the PE exam. Please keep in touch, best wishes on your exam and let me know your thoughts. Should you want me to email you a copy of an earlier version of the ITE webinar presentation please let me know. Once again the best of luck to you on your exam day. By the way I forgot to mention that I did memorize some of the basic circular curve equations, but never used them. Good luck!!

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I sent you a message with my email address.

I hope you passed and you're feeling better now!

Would you recommend taking the PTOE right after you pass the PE or wait a few years? I have been working in a traffic engineering consulting firm for 6 years (5 years after I graduated and 1 year during my senior year) and just passed my PE. Every engineer in our company has their PTOE and they are expecting me to get mine as well. I was thinking about waiting a few years but don't know if that's the right thing to do since some things are fresh on my mind. But it might help to get a little more "field knowledge" and experience.

Would you recommend taking the PTOE right after you pass the PE or wait a few years? I have been working in a traffic engineering consulting firm for 6 years (5 years after I graduated and 1 year during my senior year) and just passed my PE. Every engineer in our company has their PTOE and they are expecting me to get mine as well. I was thinking about waiting a few years but don't know if that's the right thing to do since some things are fresh on my mind. But it might help to get a little more "field knowledge" and experience.

Boomer01,

If I were you and with your experience, I would go ahead, submit my application and plan on sitting for the exam Fall 2011. Since you just passed the PE exam, then the HCM, AASHTO Green Book and MUTCD would be fresh in your mind and would be benefical in working some of the numerical problems that you should encounter on the exam. With all those PTOEs working alongside you, I'm sure they can offer some sound advice in preparing for the exam. Hope this helps and the best of luck to you in preparing for the exam.

I took mine June 6th. Any anticipation as to when we will know the results?
Those of us who took the exam last year (June 2010 testing window) didn't hear any results until late August. Maybe they'll be quicker with the results this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

Back