Prometric CBT Centers Temporarily Closed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my second notice of cancellation today.  My initial test date fell withing the initial two week closure that Prometric put in place.  I rescheduled both seismic and surveying but now those are cancelled, too.  So I'm on my third round of test dates.  I'm really hoping these ones hold.  It's really not such a big deal, but it does make planning my study schedule difficult.  Since I am focusing on surveying first, that is where most of my focus has been.  But at this point I had planned to be done with surveying and on to seismic.   The other concern has been whether or not this could push my exam dates late enough that I miss my chance at Q3 should I fail to pass one or both exams in Q2.  Based on some posts above it sounds like BPELSG may allow us to register in Q3 without reapplying.  If that is truly the case then I may just go ahead and do that.  I would rather push things out far enough to have a lesser chance of cancellation and not have to worry about cramming both tests into the end of Q2 and then have to wait until Q4 to retake.

/babble

I needed to get that off my chest.  I hope that you are all staying healthy and using this time to get some extra studying in.  Let's take the opportunity to break the curve and set a new passing rate record!
what is your new exam date?

I just got my second notice of cancellation today.  My initial test date fell withing the initial two week closure that Prometric put in place.  I rescheduled both seismic and surveying but now those are cancelled, too.  So I'm on my third round of test dates.  I'm really hoping these ones hold.  It's really not such a big deal, but it does make planning my study schedule difficult.  Since I am focusing on surveying first, that is where most of my focus has been.  But at this point I had planned to be done with surveying and on to seismic.   The other concern has been whether or not this could push my exam dates late enough that I miss my chance at Q3 should I fail to pass one or both exams in Q2.  Based on some posts above it sounds like BPELSG may allow us to register in Q3 without reapplying.  If that is truly the case then I may just go ahead and do that.  I would rather push things out far enough to have a lesser chance of cancellation and not have to worry about cramming both tests into the end of Q2 and then have to wait until Q4 to retake.

/babble

I needed to get that off my chest.  I hope that you are all staying healthy and using this time to get some extra studying in.  Let's take the opportunity to break the curve and set a new passing rate record!
Good point, I would probably rather wait till early Q3 so I can reapply for Q4 if June becomes the only option.  I'm not going to bother setting any dates for now.. seems too up in the air.

I work for a City here in California and they are estimating we will be working from home likely until June. But it seems fewer people are catching Covid in my area than was expected with the isolation so even that could change.

So even though I rescheduled, I still got a refund from Prometric for the cost of one of my exams. Did anybody else have this happen? I’m wondering if maybe they just refunded me and then will charge me again, for some reason? I’m trying to avoid having to call them again. 🙃

what is your new exam date?
Believe it or not, one of the tests that I had tried to reschedule when I wrote my last post didn't actually change for some reason.  So now I have seismic on 5/28 and surveying on 6/4.  One week apart!  Trying to move seismic out to the end of June now to give myself a bit of breathing room...

FYI - Just got an email this morning that says my new date for Seismic (May 23rd) has also been cancelled, and that they're not rescheduling any dates before June 1st. 

FYI - Just got an email this morning that says my new date for Seismic (May 23rd) has also been cancelled, and that they're not rescheduling any dates before June 1st. 
This system is so broken. They need to STOP scheduling new exam candidates... every day that goes by there are more people like us that will need to reschedule.. how tf are we going to all fit in. 

What surprises me is that they cannot operate at even 50% capacity and leave extra room between exam cubes, or even operate at 25%. I just don't get it...

This system is so broken. They need to STOP scheduling new exam candidates... every day that goes by there are more people like us that will need to reschedule.. how tf are we going to all fit in. 

What surprises me is that they cannot operate at even 50% capacity and leave extra room between exam cubes, or even operate at 25%. I just don't get it...
I was thinking the same thing about 50% capacity - seems like it would at least help to get some of us out of the way. I don't know how long they can keep cancelling and postponing exams.

Hopefully they give Q1 people priority... I was scheduled for Seismic in late March, then May, but now canceled.  Hopefully June comes through!

I feel for the people at bpels, at Prometric, and for all the test takers like myself whose CA licenses are effectively on hold.  But if all we have to worry about are delays, then we should count ourselves lucky.

Just got an email that my Surveying exam was cancelled. I was scheduled to take it on June 20th

Has anyone talked to BPELSG? The announcement on their website implies we're all going to get Q3 authorizations, but I'm sure some of us would still like to try and take it in June. Are we allowed to reschedule for June? I'm confused now based on Tapatio's post that their June 20 exam was cancelled

Has anyone talked to BPELSG? The announcement on their website implies we're all going to get Q3 authorizations, but I'm sure some of us would still like to try and take it in June. Are we allowed to reschedule for June? I'm confused now based on Tapatio's post that their June 20 exam was cancelled
Did you see my previous post with a link to the message on BPELSG's website?  Here is the message:

ANNOUNCED APRIL 22, 2020 - Prometric has announced today that the temporary closure of their test centers in the United States and Canada has been extended through May 31st, 2020. Prometric will contact all exam candidates who are scheduled for exams during this period and will cancel their original testing appointment in Quarter 2. Those eligibilities will then be processed for eligibility in Quarter 3. Once the Board receives acknowledgement that all eligible names are ready for scheduling in Quarter 3, the Board will email you a new ATT notice for Quarter 3.If you are a civil engineer exam candidate for a California state exam in Quarter 2, you do not need to do anything at this time. We will send you a new ATT notice and then you can contact Prometric to schedule your exam during Quarter 3.Please be advised that Prometric continuously updates its website with current information. You can visit their website at: https://www.prometric.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so strange because on Friday (April 24th) I changed my exam to May 30th over the phone with Prometric. I go the confirmation email and everything on Friday.  And I'm just now seeing the notice that all tests centers will be closed through May 31st... So far it hasn't been cancelled either.

Maybe the BPELSG exams qualify as essential? I see on the prometric website that essential job exams will still be carried out starting May 1st. Their list covers water, transportation, dams, and other civil engineering related jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so strange because on Friday (April 24th) I changed my exam to May 30th over the phone with Prometric. I go the confirmation email and everything on Friday.  And I'm just now seeing the notice that all tests centers will be closed through May 31st...

So far it hasn't been cancelled either.
Your confusion is certainly understandable.  Please keep in mind that many things are happening simultaneously across multiple organizations and public agencies with many people that are teleworking and not at their normal offices or schedules.  Prometric centers are open on a limited basis for exams related to essential services (e.g., nurses, etc.) and even those are being scheduled at less than normal capacity, at some centers across the nation where they are allowed to reopen.  Speaking only for California (because I have no firm idea about elsewhere), exams for engineers, surveyors, and geologists are not currently considered as essential at this time.

The message posted on BPELSG's web site as shared above is the result of communication between BPELSG and Prometric.

I received the following email from the Board:

As we continue to navigate the uncertainty of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists is committed to supporting the path to licensure for our applicants throughout the course of this pandemic. In an effort to reschedule exam candidates who were unable to sit for their exam(s) due to the closure of Prometric test centers and schedule those candidates who were, or will be, approved prior to July 1, 2020, the Board will be implementing the following procedures while taking into account the proposed social distancing guidelines. Please be sure to read the information provided below in its entirety and continue to check the Board’s website for updated information.

Eligible candidates who received their ATT notice and were unable to schedule their exam(s) and eligible candidates who were unable to sit for their scheduled exam(s) due to the closure of Prometric test centers

• You will be eligible to reschedule your exam(s) between July 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020. You will receive an ATT notice to reflect this change.
  • If you are unable to sit for your exam(s) between July 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, you will need to email [email protected] no later than June 30, 2020 to be issued a refund for your exam fee(s). If you do not email [email protected] prior to July 1, 2020, you will forfeit your exam fee(s).
  • If you are unable to sit for your exam(s) between July 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, you will need to submit a Re-Examination Form to the Board with the appropriate exam fee(s) to reschedule your exam(s). Please note that exam fees are increasing to $175 per exam for candidates scheduling their exam(s) after the July 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020 testing window.

Eligible candidates who were able to sit for their exam(s) in Quarter 1 and would like to retake their exam(s) in 2020

• You will need to submit a Re-Examination Form to the Board with the appropriate exam fee(s) to reschedule your exam(s). Forms received and processed prior to July 1, 2020 will be eligible to schedule their exam(s) between July 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020. You will receive an ATT notice with information to schedule your exam(s).
  • Please note that exam fees are increasing to $175 per exam for candidates scheduling their exam(s) after the July 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020 testing window.

[SIZE=11pt]The Board recognizes that the COVID-19 pandemic is constantly evolving, and we are closely monitoring the situation. We appreciate your understanding as we work on implementing procedures that allow candidates to sit for their exams while also adhering to social distancing guidelines and appreciate your patience as many of our Board staff follow shelter-in-place guidelines while working from home during this pandemic. Please continue to check the [/SIZE]Board’s website and the Prometric website for up to date information about scheduling or rescheduling your exams.

So they're pushing everyone to Q3 and Q4? Good to know that at least. I have been studying for Seismic since early February and I think I'll take a little break if the earliest I can test is in July. 

For some reason I'm not receiving these communications from the Board or Prometric, so I have had to do a lot of reaching out to figure out what's going on. Glad to have this forum to keep me in the loop!

So they're pushing everyone to Q3 and Q4? Good to know that at least. I have been studying for Seismic since early February and I think I'll take a little break if the earliest I can test is in July. 

For some reason I'm not receiving these communications from the Board or Prometric, so I have had to do a lot of reaching out to figure out what's going on. Glad to have this forum to keep me in the loop!
You can subscribe so that all messages posted on the Board's web site will be emailed to you  https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/bpelsg/subscribe.php

Just got a new ATT and was able to schedule my exam in early July. Still had to pay ~60$ fee. I may call prometric and request a refund for that.

I think I got it early because my exam date was like four days after the shelter in place order. 

Just got a new ATT and was able to schedule my exam in early July. Still had to pay ~60$ fee. I may call prometric and request a refund for that.

I think I got it early because my exam date was like four days after the shelter in place order. 
I also just got a new ATT - no dates in July available, so I went for late August. I also paid the fee again, but I've already gotten a refund for my cancelled exam.

I hope that's how they're treating this. My original date was March 28th - it would be nice for those who were close to their exam date to get a little head start.

Back