processing speed disorder

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/06/02/lsat-a...lities-lawsuit/
Stuff like this pisses me off. I am all for equal opportunities but at what point does the ability to process information at a normal speed become a requirement of the job?

I am sure stuff like this happens with the PE all the time. A question to ponder, is there an ethical responsibility to alert clients that you have processing speed disorder if you received extra time to pass the PE because of it? I can see the argument that your ability to serve the clients is hindered by "processing speed disorder" and the client has a right to know.
There was a dude in one of my undergrad engineering classes who told the prof he had a learning disability and needed extra time for quizzes/tests and possibly time outside of class.

The professor goes, um, then you shouldn't be an engineer. OMG I felt so bad...

And the "processing speed disorder" = stupidity was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Sorry.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/06/02/lsat-a...lities-lawsuit/
Stuff like this pisses me off. I am all for equal opportunities but at what point does the ability to process information at a normal speed become a requirement of the job?

I am sure stuff like this happens with the PE all the time. A question to ponder, is there an ethical responsibility to alert clients that you have processing speed disorder if you received extra time to pass the PE because of it? I can see the argument that your ability to serve the clients is hindered by "processing speed disorder" and the client has a right to know.
There was a dude in one of my undergrad engineering classes who told the prof he had a learning disability and needed extra time for quizzes/tests and possibly time outside of class.

And the "processing speed disorder" = stupidity was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Sorry.
That professor's lucky he still has a job. One HR/disabilities office complaint and he'd be out the door.

The dude in question probably ended up in software design or programming and is now making a better income than all of his contemporaries who graduated in engineering and the professor too. That's more common than you think.

Well, my son has been diagnosed with audio and misc. processing disorder. I am sure I had the same thing growing up, and it showed in my uncle and grandpa on my mom's side of the family. His is actually related to ear infections when he was little, and something that we all grew out of. We held him back in kindergarten so he could be one of the third oldest in his class rather than the 10th youngest which will give him a chance to grow out of the disorder rather than be behind through grade school.

It takes him, as it did me a while to understand instructions for something. But once we got it, we retain it for life. This blew the Dr. away when he tested in the 96th percentile for retaining information, but behind in most other areas. Luckily, this is all something he will grow out of with work and exposure to various things and curriculum.

Well, my son has been diagnosed with audio and misc. processing disorder. I am sure I had the same thing growing up, and it showed in my uncle and grandpa on my mom's side of the family. His is actually related to ear infections when he was little, and something that we all grew out of. We held him back in kindergarten so he could be one of the third oldest in his class rather than the 10th youngest which will give him a chance to grow out of the disorder rather than be behind through grade school.
It takes him, as it did me a while to understand instructions for something. But once we got it, we retain it for life. This blew the Dr. away when he tested in the 96th percentile for retaining information, but behind in most other areas. Luckily, this is all something he will grow out of with work and exposure to various things and curriculum.
I had a similar experience.

The main thing with audio processing disorder and others is not to use it as an excuse, and learn to push yourself through it. It is much like preparing for a sport by lifting weights to get stronger and faster. If you push yourself, your weakness may soon go away and become one of your strengths.

The general population push themselves at nothing because pushing yourself is work.

My husband is dyslexic and has an engineering degree and works as an engineer. He did the same thing...he pushes himself harder. It's always going to be hard, but he doesn't let it define him or hold him back. In fact, I don't think anyone he works with knows he's dyslexic...they probably just think he's another engineer with horrible language skills.

Back