Post Test Syndrome

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Hello there,

It is over. Now the worst part, the one you cannot control. For many looks like it was yesterday when they went thru this same period. For the newbies,hold on:The worst is still to come.

There are things you can do.

1) Unload your books from your car. You'd be surprised how many keep the books in their cars for MONTHS!!!!!!, or until results come back. You do not want anything to remind you the test for at least a month.

2) GO on with your life. Go out with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend just the two of you. Or you can take the family to a theater and buy a large bag of popcorn. Seat in the middle of your group with the bag. It is fun to feel everybody stretching their arms toward you. From time to time give a kiss to your kids or your other half(it is shorter than the other description) and tell them you love them.

3) Watch Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Footbal without a guilt feeling in you.(Booom...Priceless)

4) Brag that you guessed right the color of the pencil. By the way...blue is nice. I never saw a blue one. I had green, black and lucky red. Show a pic DV!!!

Don't:

1) Second guess yourself at this point. Do not try to solve a problem now. It is not worthy. What is done is done.

2) Call someone who took it and talk about how you solve #20 on the test.Bad thing!!!!!!!

3) Disclose any part of the test here or anywhere. Is against the rules and you signed an agreement.

Now the fun part. Add thig s to this lists.Let us see what it brings.

DV, RG, Sapper, JR, Speedy...and everybody here... I wish the best for all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
4) Kill yourself. It's not worth it, and besides, you may have passed it!

5) Kill your co-workers or family members or people you barely know that somehow know you took the PE three days ago and won't stop asking you how you did and when you tell them you don't know they say "You probably aced it!! I know you got a 100%!!!" They are all well meaning and love you and just want the best for you. Try to remember that as you're thinking to yourself that you wish you hadn't told a solitary sole in the universe that you were taking the PE exam in October.

Metro,

How was the ME man?

Just a clarification, your suggestions were "don'ts" right?

Ed

Ed,

Yes, they were dont's. I was just adding to his list of dont's.

As for the ME, I'm firmly entrenched in the camp of "I don't have a friggin' clue how I did."

Overall, the test was harder than I expected it to be. It was MUCH harder than the NCEES practice exam, in my opinion. I finished the practice exam with plenty of time to double and tripple check all of my work. Friday I was scrambling just to fill in all the bubbles. For both the morning and the afternoon I had to "educated" guess on 4 or 5 of them because I ran out of time.

I'm not terribly optimistic at the moment, but I haven't given up. This is exactly how I felt after the FE in 1995 and I passed it on the first attempt.

I don't think I bombed it, and I know I didn't ace it. Time will tell. :dunno:

By the way, I don't mind if any of you out there ask me how I did. I'll happily reply and ramble on at length, because you guys actually understand what's involved with this test. My earlier reply about everybody else though......

I've heard at least 50 times since Friday how so and so knows what it's like because when they took the 2hr state insurance test or the state teacher certification test or their driving test.............

I don't mean to be ugly, I really do know that they mean well, I'm just not in a place to talk about the exam with anyone that hasn't taken it too. Deep breaths............. :)

Yeah,

One of the owners of my old company said "I know what its like- I took a 4 hour "Certiefied Energy Manager' exam. It was rough."

I thought. yeah, OK. It was the same as a PE exam.

Ed

From time to time give a kiss to your kids or your other half
Whatever you do, don't kiss your kids' other half.

All kidding aside, you make some good points Luis.

Do's"

One of my "do's" was putting all my references back on the shelf, and eliminating any clue from my house that I had just taken the thing.

Do thank a bunch of people: your reference providers, your boss who let you study some on company time, the friends/family for being understanding, you review class instructor, etc.

Get on some task or hobby you've been putting off. I was surprised how focused and motivated I was for a couple weeks after the test, because I was so used to studying. Use that productivity elsewhere while it lasts.

Don't's

Don't ditch your lady on her birthday to go stay in a motel out of town the night before the exam, without bringing her home a quality present for her!

Don't call your state board, NCEES, ELSES, etc. everyday

Yeah,One of the owners of my old company said "I know what its like- I took a 4 hour "Certiefied Energy Manager' exam. It was rough."

I thought. yeah, OK. It was the same as a PE exam.

Ed
I get that crap all the time....I don't think a 2 hour HVAC certification exam is the same as what we've all just gone through. :dddd:

Yeah, I walked in the office this morning & all the Engineers said "So How did you do?" I was like don't even ask !!! I was all pumped up because I passed the PE last year and really studied for the EIT thing.

I just don't understand how the test gods go throught my study notes and pick everything I didn't stud :duhh: y.

I told the wife and myself i am sure that I bombed the thing. I have no expectiation of getting a PASS notice.

I felt so clueless ... Guess I will install the microwave above the stove.

Yeah, or "I attended a 3-hour seminar and am now certified to spec XYZ Corp's products! WHEEE!"
I know a recruiter who has this after his name:

CPC, CTS, CSP

I don't even know what they mean. Maybe the CSP is Certified Safety Professional (there seems to really be such a thing), but I doubt it.

Any ideas? Web search pulled nothing so far.

Ed

CPC and CTS are staffing industry certifications.

Certified Personnel Consultant

Certified Temporary Staffing Consultant

Leave it to headhunters to come up with endless alphabet soup for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many of these semi-serious letters that people put after their names.

I know a real estate agent who has all these titles and fancy logos on his card saying he's certified in customer service, quality control, etc. All they were were just 2 or 3 hour seminars he went to one day.

I just think it looks real pompous. A lot of letters doesn't mean you can design anything.

Though I do think there are a number of good certifications you can get if you are a technician not going the PE route. Subsurface designer certification, CSI spec certification, CPESC, etc.

And what about lawyers who put the word "esquire" after their name. Maybe there's a good reason for it but it seems like BS.

Back