Pizza delivery boy gets $10 tip for $1,500 order

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was the tip...

• Too low?

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • About right?

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Too high?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I expected a different response from people that earn a decent living and might know what standard delivery charges are for components of the things that get designed by us.

You tip the truck driver who delivers components to you?
No, I was drawing a weak comparison between having components delivered (expensive and a standard charge) and tipping the pizza delivery boy (cheap and not standard)...

to all:
Q.) When you order take-out from a typically eat-in restaurant and pick it up yourself do you add a "tip"?

If I have to walk inside and get the food I don't tip, if it is a car side carry out where they come out and take the payment and put the food in the car for me I will add usually $2 to be nice. All the resturants I worked in the take out person got paid a regualr wage ~8/hr so they didn't depend on tips but if they bring it out to me and are nice I will add a little.

I agree with Dex, I do tip for delivery, just not carry out...I don't tip for a place where I stand in a line to order my food even though I may sit in the dining room and eat afterwards, the tip is for service, not for making my food, if I have to stand I'm serving myself!
I agree with that too. Local pizza place I eat at you walk in order at the counter and they will bring it to your table but everything including clean up is self serve. They have a tip jar on the counter so on the rare days I pay with cash I'll throw the handfull of change I get back in it but that is not very often.

I expected a different response from people that earn a decent living and might know what standard delivery charges are for components of the things that get designed by us.

You tip the truck driver who delivers components to you?
No, I was drawing a weak comparison between having components delivered (expensive and a standard charge) and tipping the pizza delivery boy (cheap and not standard)...

Oh, I was being snarky.

But it does cheese me off that everyone adds a $2 delivery charge to the order and the delivery guy still expects a tip.

We cut waaay back on ordering pizza.

We've cut way back on ordering pizza here too. It has a lot more to do with the bathroom scale than the delivery charge though.

I get alot of crap for my view on this but I HATE tipping too. Its not the money. I felt like this when I made 8$ an hour and I make mutiples of that now. Its their job to serve me. Why should I be expected to pay them more to do the job they voluntarily signed up for?

That said, I tip $1 for a sit down lunch (not fast food). If I have to go get my food or drink (Pizza Hut) I dont tip. For a nice dinner I tip 10% rounded up to the nearest dollar. The article I read on Yahoo even contradicted itself. It said something like, "everyone tips 20-30% nowadays." then said he sould have gotten $85 or so. They must have gotten one of those online degrees because that is nowhere near the 20% that "everyone" tips. up until a few years ago a tip was 10%. Why did it go to 20 or 30% now? The price of the food is going up and so is their tip if I tipped 10% then and now.

For a nice sit down meal I tip ranges from 10-25%, depending on service. If service is just ok, I tip 15% and round up to the nearest dollar amount. if service is really good and they hustle it goes up from there.

For sit down means, I'm pretty much the same. I will start at 15% and adjust based on service.

Badal would go nuts at a cash poker game in Vegas. At a $1-$3 table in Caesars, the winner of each hand would tip $1 to the dealer which equates to about $20/hour...

And that's the cheap poker tables. The dealers can make up to 10x that at the really high limits...

It;s my understand and it seems customary in the Boston area that restaurant tips have moved from the base of 15% to ~ 18%. My norm is 20% and I rarely go above that. To me 30% is just "showing off" and is completely unwarranted.

when I gamble I usually play roulette or 3-card poker. I'll only tip the dealer on a considerable win. If I get $100, I'll throw the dealer a couple of bucks. No percentage and I don't gamble that much.

It cracks me up that they have tip jars at every take-out counter now-a-days. People go in and pay $5 for a starbucks coffee and the girl at the counter expects a buck on top of that.

Personally, I think tipping as mandatory is bullshit. But, I think its bullshit on the basis that the restaurant owners aren't required to pay the equivalent of minimum wage. Get rid of the "service industry" minimum wage for those receiving tips, which is I think barely over $2/hr, pay them the standard minimum wage, and then only tip if they do a great job. Gets rid of the attitude associated with some shitty waiters/waitresses, and keeps the employees who get the bad shifts from getting screwed over.

Personally, I think tipping as mandatory is bullshit. But, I think its bullshit on the basis that the restaurant owners aren't required to pay the equivalent of minimum wage. Get rid of the "service industry" minimum wage for those receiving tips, which is I think barely over $2/hr, pay them the standard minimum wage, and then only tip if they do a great job. Gets rid of the attitude associated with some shitty waiters/waitresses, and keeps the employees who get the bad shifts from getting screwed over.
QFT

QFT

Supe +1000

Back