PE Supervision Question (Illinois)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Line Guy

Reaction score
So I passed the Geotech PE in Illinois in April and will hit my 4 years experience in a couple weeks.  My problem is that my first boss that I had for about 4 months was not a PE and still has not become one.  He was quickly promoted after I was hired but was still technically my boss for another couple months until they could find a replacement.  My second boss was a PE and I was under him until I changed jobs about 2 years later. This job was with a utility and its not as common for the engineers on the utility side to have their PE so even the people a few steps up the ladder who knew who I was and what I was working on from my first boss do not have their PE's either.  

Long story short I have 4 years experience as an engineer but the first 4 months of that I was not working under a PE.  How does this affect my years of experience total as recognized by Illinois when I send in my paperwork?

Thanks!

is there another PE that can vouch for the experience?  IL is a stickler for that sort of thing. It is a black/white check box sort of thing for them.  

is there another PE that can vouch for the experience?  IL is a stickler for that sort of thing. It is a black/white check box sort of thing for them.  
Somewhat, could my 2nd boss could say he was aware of my work and that I did the same/similar work under his supervision that I was doing beforehand? (pretty sure he wouldn't be entirely comfortable with this and I don't blame him)

If my first boss signed the paper and acknowledged he was not a PE do you think that would be ok?

probably not, it specifically states PE.  The first person to look at paperwork is just a paper pusher.  Does it add to 4 yrs, is it signed off by a PE.  very check box review

probably not, it specifically states PE.  The first person to look at paperwork is just a paper pusher.  Does it add to 4 yrs, is it signed off by a PE.  very check box review
Shoot... Well thanks for the help. Guess I will just have to keep waiting to finish this up.

I'm not sure how Illinois registration is worded, but if there is another PE at the company who could provide a reference I'd list them.  You could probably list your direct supervisor but also write-in a "technical adviser" with their PE as a secondary reference for that time.  While definitely be honest on your applications, I encourage people to include every piece of information they can and make the board deny you.  Maybe they still deny you, but it's at least worth a shot.  I was able to take my PE exam and receive my license 6-months earlier than I thought I could because one of my senior coworkers encouraged me to do that exact thing.  Put everything down and make them deny you, because there is a chance they'll accept it.  

Might be different than here in Florida - but our board permits a "Practicing Engineer" to fill out your employment verification form. They just have to submit a copy of their diploma. Our board does require that your personal engineering references be PEs however.

Latest posts

Back