Pe Exam Passed and will need four licensed PE to put as Reference.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zdeng53

Reaction score
Good Morning,
My Name is J., and I received my bachelor engineering in 2020, and I already have at least two years experience work under a PE in NYC . and PASSED PE HVAC two month ago. Received EIT license in state of California last week. I found out that in the state of California, they only require two yr experience to obtain PE license. but will require four PE reference.
The situation is, I only have two PE can put reference, one is my supervisor, and other one is my co-woker, and I need two more references,
My question is IF any one can I put on my reference, I willing to send some of my project for review.
Notes: my work position is MEP Designer Send me a private conversation/message her for contact.
Appreciate for any help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy this screams bad idea.
First of all, I think you're very wrong. California definitely requires more than 2 years of work experience to get a PE, especially since you only got your degree two years ago.

Second of all, no stranger is going to let you add them as a reference. That's basically asking their state board to take THEIR license away, or at least look into why they're referring a stranger for a license.

Oh boy this screams bad idea.
First of all, I think you're very wrong. California definitely requires more than 2 years of work experience to get a PE, especially since you only got your degree two years ago.

Second of all, no stranger is going to let you add them as a reference. That's basically asking their state board to take THEIR license away, or at least look into why they're referring a stranger for a license.
Thank for your comment. this is what I think
not all engineering firm having 4 PEs for reference, and some state even required five PE for reference, I found on the California PE application website, the rule is: one PE reference must be the direct supervisor, other three references can be any, which I can provide the project I have done, to prove that I am competent enough to be an engineer。
The Most Important Thing, I cant image any riskes to take their license away for only doing the reference.
after I obtain the PE, All the design failure will against to me, not any of the referenced people.
Such as recommendation letter. for example, I asked my professor write a recommendation letter for my job, if I made mistake during that job, they can't blame the professor.

Last edited:
Thank for your comment. this is what I think
not all engineering firm having 4 PEs for reference, and some state even required five PE for reference, I found on the California PE application website, the rule is: one PE reference must be the direct supervisor, other three references can be any, which I can provide the project I have done, to prove that I am competent enough to be an engineer。
The Most Important Thing, I cant image any riskes to take their license away for only doing the reference.
after I obtain the PE, All the design failure will again to me, not any of the referenced people.
Such as recommendation letter. for example, I asked my professor write a recommendation letter for my job, if I made mistake during that job, they can't blame the professor.
I would go to my clients or people around me who know me and my work to some extent to vouch for me. I think most states need one direct supervisor's reference.

California only requires two years of work experience if you have an accredited degree but just know that you also have to apply and take 2 additional exams. The 4 references are to get approval of the 2 exams.

California only requires two years of work experience if you have an accredited degree but just know that you also have to apply and take 2 additional exams. The 4 references are to get approval of the 2 exams.
I think you are only referencing the PE Civil license, where one needs to take the seismic and surveying exams. OP stated they passed the PE HVAC exam.

Still, I find it hard to believe they only need 2 years of experience.

CA experience requirements are different for the non-civil PEs. I looked it up out of curiosity, and its only 2 years for PE Mechanical in CA. In fact, one website even suggested people get the CA PE first and then use comity to get others due to it being only 2 years.

https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/flowchart_for_pe.pdf
As to the OP request, the issue is finding a PE that knows the type of work you do. I would also ask some of your clients if they have other PEs they work with to see if you can get in contact with them.

CA experience requirements are different for the non-civil PEs. I looked it up out of curiosity, and its only 2 years for PE Mechanical in CA. In fact, one website even suggested people get the CA PE first and then use comity to get others due to it being only 2 years.

https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/flowchart_for_pe.pdf
As to the OP request, the issue is finding a PE that knows the type of work you do. I would also ask some of your clients if they have other PEs they work with to see if you can get in contact with them.
Thanks for the reply, and that is exactly what i am trying to do, get CA PE first, Then Comity. because this is the fastest way to put PE on my business card.
Ill talk to my supervisor to see if she knows any PE around. but not sure if it works.

Does any one know, which state requires experience less than 4 yrs to get PE license other than CA, I mean For bachelor engineering not for Master Degree,

Thanks for the reply, and that is exactly what i am trying to do, get CA PE first, Then Comity. because this is the fastest way to put PE on my business card.
Ill talk to my supervisor to see if she knows any PE around. but not sure if it works.

Does any one know, which state requires experience less than 4 yrs to get PE license other than CA, I mean For bachelor engineering not for Master Degree,

If a state requires that you have four years work experience to be licensed as a PE, then you need four years work experience--with or without a California PE license. I assure you that New York will reject an application for licensure by Comity, since you do not meet the minimum requirements for licensure in New York State.

If you do obtain a California PE license, I would be very careful about using the term "P.E." in New York, where you are domiciled. You don't want to imply to clients, the public, etc. that you are licensed in New York when you are not.

Good Morning,
My Name is Jason, and I received my bachelor engineering in 2020, and I already have at least two years experience work under a PE in NYC . and PASSED PE HVAC two month ago. Received EIT license in state of California last week. I found out that in the state of California, they only require two yr experience to obtain PE license. but will require four PE reference.
The situation is, I only have two PE can put reference, one is my supervisor, and other one is my co-woker, and I need two more references,
My question is IF any one can I put on my reference, I willing to send some of my project for review.
Notes: my work position is MEP Designer and My email is:[email protected] Phone#917-535-5667
Appreciate for any help!!!
As long as you can document actual engineering work performed your junior year with no breaks, that counts as 2 years towards your 4 years in TX.

Back